New dura-ace R9100

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

benjaminm3 wrote:Just ordered the r9100-P from bikebling - they claim shipping in 1-3 days - and I'm in Northern California, so hopefully should get it soon if that's correct.

Nice! Maybe you'll be the first one in N.A. to get one!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ms6073 wrote:
Calnago wrote:@msg6073: have you ever installed a 9100 rear derailleur?

Yes, I have now installed 4 - 2 each on our road bikes and 2 each on our CX/Gravel bikes. The first one I installed was for my wife's Scott Contessa Solace road bike, I simply threaded the read derailleur onto the hangar and allowed it the b-tension to contact the notch in the derailleur hanger which worked great until a day later when I tried to remove the rear wheel so I could mount the bike on a Tacx Neo. At that point, I found it very difficult to for the upper derailleur pulley to clear the cogs of her Shimano DA CS-9100 DA 12-28 cassette, so I searched the interwebz and found a thread discussing the issue. One recommended solution was to apply Team Sky's setup by rotating the derailleur link aft to just shy of the 270 degree position (b-tension is no longer contacting the notch in the derailleur hangar) and viola, I was able to more easily remove/install the rear wheel. I will try to post before/after images of this on my bike.

Interesting. Please post the pics when you get a chance. I'm waiting on an Ultegra 8050 Di2 GS rear derailleur so that I could run a 11-34 cassette when needed. I'll have the same issue as the Dura Ace I assume.

Squint

by Squint

benjaminm3 wrote:Just ordered the r9100-P from bikebling - they claim shipping in 1-3 days - and I'm in Northern California, so hopefully should get it soon if that's correct.

I pre-ordered from them 2 months ago, haven't gotten it yet.

benjaminm3

by benjaminm3

Squint wrote:

I pre-ordered from them 2 months ago, haven't gotten it yet.

What did they claim about shipping back then? I was a little skeptical given how little I've seen out there about it.

Squint

by Squint

benjaminm3 wrote:What did they claim about shipping back then? I was a little skeptical given how little I've seen out there about it.

I think it was also "1-3 Days." Note that it says "taking pre-orders" somewhere on the page. I actually called them two weeks after placing the order and they said they wouldn't be surprised if the release date was pushed into August.

benjaminm3

by benjaminm3

Squint wrote:
benjaminm3 wrote:What did they claim about shipping back then? I was a little skeptical given how little I've seen out there about it.

I think it was also "1-3 Days." Note that it says "taking pre-orders" somewhere on the page. I actually called them two weeks after placing the order and they said they wouldn't be surprised if the release date was pushed into August.

Ah okay - yeah I just called and the current estimate they gave me was October. Given the time - I want to think this through some - it might make sense to just get the vector 3 pedals that garmin just released.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

benjaminm3 wrote:
Squint wrote:

Ah okay - yeah I just called and the current estimate they gave me was October. Given the time - I want to think this through some - it might make sense to just get the vector 3 pedals that garmin just released.

Oct 2018? [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squint

by Squint

benjaminm3 wrote:Ah okay - yeah I just called and the current estimate they gave me was October. Given the time - I want to think this through some - it might make sense to just get the vector 3 pedals that garmin just released.

I think the best place to put strain gauges is on the crankarms. I would recommend toughing it out for a few more months unless you're in the southern hemisphere or something and your season is just beginning.

benjaminm3

by benjaminm3

Squint wrote:
benjaminm3 wrote:Ah okay - yeah I just called and the current estimate they gave me was October. Given the time - I want to think this through some - it might make sense to just get the vector 3 pedals that garmin just released.

I think the best place to put strain gauges is on the crankarms. I would recommend toughing it out for a few more months unless you're in the southern hemisphere or something and your season is just beginning.

Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? I ask, because if you look at dcrainmaker's review of the pedals - the results actually look pretty decent. (he compared the results against some sources that should be pretty accurate, including a few bike trainers)

There's definitely an aspect to the r9100-p that's appealing to me (and it's why i ordered one), but I have to admit the modular nature of the pedals appeals to me as well. Is there much data out there suggesting strain gauges on crank arms are more accurate?

Squint

by Squint

benjaminm3 wrote:Out of curiosity, what makes you say that? I ask, because if you look at dcrainmaker's review of the pedals - the results actually look pretty decent. (he compared the results against some sources that should be pretty accurate, including a few bike trainers)

Verve's white paper makes a good case for crankarm placement of strain gauges:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw2Tm ... jBvTGhRdk0

Pedal powermeters are inherently problematic:

http://djconnel.blogspot.com/search/lab ... date=false

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I just read all four blog posts and I see no real problems worth mentioning. Q-factor and cleat position matter, sure...this really has no inherent relation to the effectiveness of using strain gauges on the pedal spindles.

Crank length matters, sure. Easily done on initial setup.

ooo

by ooo

prototype?
Attachments
r9150-prototype.jpg
'

toiyuet

by toiyuet

Nexave.

Asmith

by Asmith

Newbie on here and am thinking of getting the Dura ace power meter which has recently started to ship after months of delays. Has anyone got one and would have real world feedback?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Asmith wrote:Newbie on here and am thinking of getting the Dura ace power meter which has recently started to ship after months of delays. Has anyone got one and would have real world feedback?

They are still exceedingly rare so I think you'll have to wait a while to get a body of real world feedback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com