New dura-ace R9100

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Ive noticed alot of places publishing "price drops" on the 9150 for a whle now.. I thought something was up..

So we'll probably see the push for 12 soon to "get it out" and compete with the Campy 12... then next version maybe we see the semi wireless/wireless version... Didn't the new 9150 crank already change the chainline? Im happy I held off on the 9150 upgrade now...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

They changed the chainline (spacing of chainrings) not for 12sp, but to accommodate the increased dropout spacing for discs. Whether it will require a further mod for 12sp I don’t know.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Awesome, having not long since bought 9100 this is thrilling news...

It also makes me nervy about any new frame/wheel purchases in case they won’t work with newer gear. That’s the bike industry now though eh.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:24 pm
They changed the chainline (spacing of chainrings) not for 12sp, but to accommodate the increased dropout spacing for discs. Whether it will require a further mod for 12sp I don’t know.
Unlikely? It’s not like the total width of the cassette changed.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

How do you know, they haven’t made it yet.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Monkeyfudger wrote:Awesome, having not long since bought 9100 this is thrilling news...

It also makes me nervy about any new frame/wheel purchases in case they won’t work with newer gear. That’s the bike industry now though eh.
XTR 12 should be a hint here

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@monkeyfudger: your 9100 stuff is going to be a fine groupset for as long as you want to keep it. Shimano Road 12 will be a while coming still. Maybe you can just skip it and wait for Road 14. :)

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I have a feeling it will be sooner rather than later and run parallel with 11s in a DA only guise to get it out there with Campy in front of SRAM

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Could be. It’s a race to nowhere. The shotgun approach. Just point and fire everything we got and seen what lands.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Calnago wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 pm
How do you know, they haven’t made it yet.
I don't for sure, but several morsels of knowledge make it extremely unlikely.

1) 12-speed XTR has been unveiled. No changes were made to the total width of the freehub driver body.
2) Campagnolo has made no changes to its freehub driver body specifications.
3a) All of the major parties have no desire to decrease DS spoke bracing angles even more.
3b) Road "Boost" is not coming anytime soon or we would have had leaks. It would require a lot of coordination with frame manufacturers, hub manufacturers, BB/crank manufacturers, etc.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:47 am
1) 12-speed XTR has been unveiled. No changes were made to the total width of the freehub driver body.
I saw some posted info. that contradicted this statement. It appears that the freehub body is wider than before.

https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/the-all-new- ... s-answers/

Why MICRO SPLINE (or, why another new standard)?
Our 12 speed cassette needs more space on the hub. To keep the stiffness of the hub and the cassette and provide the best riding experience we are introducing a new freehub technology for 12 speed riders.

Do you need a specific MICRO SPLINE compatible hub to ride new XTR M9100?
Yes

petal666

by petal666

idinfo68 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:08 pm
Why not ! I hope so...
Because that doesn't sell new gear.

madik

by madik

I have a big expectations from R9200 series and some half baked products that was rushed out and didnt' deliver everything would be a dissapointment.
- 12 speed obviously :)
- Wireless di2 or at least partly wireless like FSA
- Micro Spline body for the new 12 speed cassettes
- That new hyperglide+ technology for smoother shifting (if it makes sense on the Road)
- Narrow wide chainrings for a 1x
- some more goodies

If they could deliver this 1 year earlier, that would be amazing.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

What benefit does micro spline bring to the road, I’ve no intention of ever running less than an 11t on the back?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:54 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:47 am
I saw some posted info. that contradicted this statement. It appears that the freehub body is wider than before.

https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/the-all-new- ... s-answers/

Why MICRO SPLINE (or, why another new standard)?
Our 12 speed cassette needs more space on the hub. To keep the stiffness of the hub and the cassette and provide the best riding experience we are introducing a new freehub technology for 12 speed riders.

Do you need a specific MICRO SPLINE compatible hub to ride new XTR M9100?
Yes
Keep in mind old Shimano MTB cassettes use 10spd spacing. The M9100 12spd freehub driver fits onto existing DT Swiss hub shells.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com