Praxis Works BB conversion Removal Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2old4this

by 2old4this

I had the same issue just a month ago. The plastic sleeve just didn't want to come out. I ended up calling Praxis, the guy on the phone said this was a common thing and recommended cutting the sleeve out. Apparently they even sell replacement ones at their site for $8 (which I did not check.)
Cutting that sleeve was not that easy (I did not want to get to the frame.) it took me over two hours but it is out.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Received the RT-2 tool today and it took about 40 seconds to remove the praxis PF sleeve. It was certainly worth the investment. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The Praxis design is just not very clever in this age of internal cabling and wiring. And lots of BB shells also have internal features, like the end of a bolt poking through, that can get in the way of fitting.

Fortunately ... lots of alternatives out there which do not have the expanding collet. And which are also a lot easier to remove; requiring no special removal tool.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Hi, I have a praxis sleeve stuck in my bb. I removed the two internal pieces easily with a bb tool and headset tool. But now the sleeve is stuck. It is flush with the frame so a bb tool will not lodge on it. Any ideas how to remove the sleeve in one piece? Many thanks

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

See three posts above yours...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thank you. Is it possible to remove without cutting out?

springs

by springs

I found a washer almost the exact size but fractionally smaller than the diameter of the sleeve. Some slight hammering and the sleeve came out.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

srshaw wrote:The proper tool should make a massive difference. I tried to knock out an old headset with a screwdriver and it just kept slipping off. With the correct tool one tap and it was out.

Old mountain bike handlebars or even 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe sections work far better than screwdrivers if you don't have the real deal tool.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks for all replies. I was hoping I could find an elegant solution but eventually found a marginally undersized round plastic disc (45mm I think) and bashed it out in one piece. I am refitting internal cables then will see if it is reusable!