Colnago C60 - Campagnolo bottom bracket

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Look565w

by Look565w

Sorry to hijacking this thread, but I've got a question regarding BB related issue. :roll:

To Calnago & graeme_f_k or any other,

I'm building up my C60 as well, and wanting to use an older style Campagnolo Record chainset (5 bolt-version) & have already acquired the Campag PressFit BB 86.5 x 41 cups suited to this frame. But upon getting the cups this morning, I notice the "A" marked on the cups, AFAIK for all new 2015 on ward Campagnolo (Chorus & above) components have this marking for compatibility issues.

ImageCampag BB PressFit 86.5 x 41 by look565w, on Flickr

My question is - Can I use this update version of the BB cups with my pre-2015 Record chainset?

My thinking is that it should be fine as the chainset didn't change much, it was more the gears set-up, but I just want to make sure.

Any feed back would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Last edited by Look565w on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Look565w

by Look565w

This is the older version of the said BB cup.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... 0wodyGcLlQ

What do you guys think?

Calnago

by Calnago

@Look565w: AFAIK the cups you show marked "A" should be fine with your pre-2015 cranks. The new markings are to ensure people don't start putting incompatible components together. I can't think of a reason the new cups wouldn't fit both the 2015 or pre-2015 cranks unless they relocated where the bearings locate on the spindle. If you're using EPS however, I think the new cups provide for a way to ensure the wires don't rub on the rotating spindle.

@ghisallo2003: you raise a good point, and it probably would be possible to do, but I suspect it just wouldn't be worth their time and effort for basically only one brand and very low volumes. I don't know.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Look565w

by Look565w

Calnago wrote:@Look565w: AFAIK the cups you show marked "A" should be fine with your pre-2015 cranks. The new markings are to ensure people don't start putting incompatible components together. I can't think of a reason the new cups wouldn't fit both the 2015 or pre-2015 cranks unless they relocated where the bearings locate on the spindle. If you're using EPS however, I think the new cups provide for a way to ensure the wires don't rub on the rotating spindle.

@ghisallo2003: you raise a good point, and it probably would be possible to do, but I suspect it just wouldn't be worth their time and effort for basically only one brand and very low volumes. I don't know.

Many thanks Calnago, very much appreciate your reply!

I'm away to order my Record chaianset now :-)

Cheers

outnumbered

by outnumbered

I've got a 2015 chainset in "non-A" cups, and that works, so...

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I am putting together the same bike. Colnago C60 with 2015 Campagnolo ultra torque cranks. I already have the Campagnolo cups but need the tool to install the cups. Nobody seems to have the oem Campagnolo tool in stock. Can anyone recommend an alternative tool. Thanks!

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Hi mnmasotto, if you still need the tool and can let me know on the company email (velotechcycling"at" aim"dot"com) tomorrow or the day after (10th or 11th March) I am at the factory and can collect one for you. We don't usually hold stock of this tool and otherwise, in practical terms, an order would take 2 - 4 weeks to bring into the UK for you - happy to send wherever bear in mind it's comparatively heavy so postage costs might be significant.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Om the cup question:

Cups marked A are fully reverse-compatible with previous versions of the same part ... so yes, the 2015 cups marked A will work fine with older cranksets - the basic UT spec has not changed.

The new cups have a bigger contact area on the inside of the BB bore than their predecessors and only a very short lead-in taper so a more rigid press with accurately-fitting drifts is a virtually essential requirement to reliably start and fit the cups without the possibility of damaging the BB shell.

All BB cups and adaptors made post model year 2011 are "EPS Compatible" in the sense that they are shaped to accept the guard supplied with the EPS PU, designed to protect the EPS cable bundle from possible abrasion by contact with the BB axle. There are no other changes.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC

wedgie

by wedgie

I recently fitted Campagnolo UT cups to my new C60 using the method advised by Graeme, Calnago and ColnagoEPQ. I bought a Cyclus press fit tool with Campagnolo UT press rings which fit inside the cups. It can be used for other BB types with the appropriate press rings. It worked perfectly, cups went in absolutely straight. I totally agree with the advice I was given - the cups are a tight fit and I don't think a tool that simply presses the outside of the cups would work well. The tool including the press rings was about £52 delivered to the UK from Rose Bikes in Germany.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

mnmasotto wrote: Can anyone recommend an alternative tool.

A flat face press, like a Park head cup press, is fine, so long as you do the following: Do not press in both cups simultaneously. Fully press in just one cup first, working against the flat/square face offered by the BB shell. When one is fully pressed in, remove tool and press in the second. Pressing in both cups at the same time is what can damage a BB shell.

I have yet to see any valid argument against the use of a flat face press for pressing in outboard cups. The shoulders of the cups butt up against the faces of the BB shell and I see no reason for the use of bushings.

Miller

by Miller

This is my cheapskate BB cup press, a whacking great bolt and two washers and a nut. I press in one cup at a time as described above. It works fine.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Very interesting! Maybe I will give this a try. Did you install with Loctite?

Miller

by Miller

I used a little bit of Loctite 641 although catching up with Campag technical manuals it seems they recommend 609 (?). I selected a Loctite with the minimum grab on the basis that the Campag cups might have to come out sometime. They are a tight fit anyway.

garypremo

by garypremo

I am about to build my Colnago C60 with a Campagnolo Super Record 11 Ultra Torque crankset. The frameset is currently in transit.

I plan to use Wishbone TF82525C threaded bottom bracket cups.

Wishbone BB1.jpeg

Wishbone BB3.jpeg

I bought it on eBay for $100.

It seems like a better solution than pressed in cups with Loctite; I'll soon find out.

Beware that if you visit the Wishbone site at this link:
http://www.wishbonetw.com/product-1.php?id=24
it lists under the Specifications that is it compatible with Shimano HollowTech2 and SRAM GXP.... BUT stamped right into the drive side cup (above) it says: Thread Fit 82.5 TO Ultra Torque! The listing is obviously incorrect.

Further, the eBay seller mr_ride clearly says that it is for a Colnago C60 with Ultra Torque.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mr-ride-BB-TF82 ... 2147836344

I'll report back here once the build is complete.
2016 Colnago C60 PLWH 61 CM Traditional Geometry

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

ghisallo2003 wrote:I am not expecting the larger volume manufacturers to jump on board, but effectively Colnago has a) a frame that is ready to accept a threaded solution, b) a historical association (don't all jump in - I have worded this carefully) with Campagnolo.

One would hope that this would be a compelling argument for some relatively simple tooling to build an no-compromise Campag solution.

It looks like Wishbone has stepped in and delivered the simple one-step threaded solution for C60. I would be interested in feedback, but this is a cleaner answer than threaded-then-pressfit.