2016 Cannondale CAAD12 Ultegra

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeC

by MikeC

Picked this up a few weeks ago, it looks amazing :D

The frame, pedals, cages and wheels are non negotiables but I would like to lighten the rest up. My initial thoughts are seatpost and saddle but the seatpost is a 25.4 and they are a sod to find, and everywhere is out of black Selle Italia SLR Carbonio saddles.

Original spec is here - http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/cannon ... wwodFjIOJQ

At the moment the only deviations from the original spec are the wheels and stem.

Where else should I look for easy weight savings......sticking to a £1 spend per 1g saved ratio at the moment...GO!

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

What's the total weight right now? What's the goal?

Are the pedals the lightest style that fit your cleats?

Nokon cable outers will save a bit.

Titanium bolts (shave to the shortest length needed) on the stem, seatpost, and the bottles. That costs a bit much, but it's very satisfying.

A bit excess.... measure the distance from your insertion point, to the minimum insertion line on your seatpost.

Cut that length off the end of your seatpost.

You might get 30-50 grams on a new chain, depending on what it shipped with.

Another 40 grams on lightweight bar tape.

What skewers are on there? I've had very good luck with lightweight ti skewers, and I didn't pay over $40USD for them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass but this is an organized approach and easy to keep track of delta. Use a spreadsheet!

Before you ask for "easy weight savings", may I suggest to disassemble what you can, weigh the parts and enter into a spreadsheet. Share it with others.
Last edited by mpulsiv on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

tinozee

by tinozee

Nice looking bike what size is that?

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Nice bike - just ordered my frame set from Westbrook...

On weight loss, Seatpost a possibility. If you can live with something with no set back, the hylix (ebay) once shortened should save about 200g - cost is £52. About to order one myself but am quickly rooting around the forum for any other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delorre

by Delorre

Deda bar tape, Extralight ultrastar expander, Michelin ultralight innertubes, Conti force + attack combo are some not too $ upgrades. And of course, the already mentionned Hylix seatpost (4 à 5 weeks delivery time according to seller!!) When worn, replace the cassette with a Sram red one :wink: And look at a (used?) carbon bar for some good weight savings. Brand / model according to desired reach & drop.

fitty4

by fitty4

Before I decided on a different bike I looked at this bike and wanted a light good looking seat post with zero setback but couldn´t find one, I asked enve if they would make one but it wasn´t in their future plans, they have one with setback. Cool bike

djel

by djel

I'm bumping an oldish thread as I'm looking to upgrade my CAAD10 105 to a CAAD12 Ultegra.

The stock bike with Ultegra pedals weight 7.75kg (7,490+260) and I'm planning to use my 55mm clinchers which would shave 307g. Lightweight bar tape, end caps and Extralite expander would save another 100g.

The bike would be down to 7.336kg but I'd like to be under 7kg. I have a carbon saddle but I'm not sure it'd fit the 25.4 seatpost.

I'll have my LBS cut the steerer before taking delivery, how many grams would be saved approximately?

tomee

by tomee

Delorre wrote:Extralight ultrastar expander, M.

With the extralite expander you wouldnt be able to use the Cannondale SI top cap anymore?
you'd just pop on a normal top cap?

djel

by djel

tomee wrote:With the extralite expander you wouldnt be able to use the Cannondale SI top cap anymore?
you'd just pop on a normal top cap?

I'd use the Extralite top cap. I've ordered a Cannondale expander with cap (KP017) but it's backorder at the moment. When I'll get both products I'll decide which one I keep but I'm guessing the weight difference shouldn't be too large.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

If you get the KP017 and decide not to keep it consider it sold I will buy it from you.

Thanks

djel

by djel

shoemakerpom2010 wrote:If you get the KP017 and decide not to keep it consider it sold I will buy it from you.

Thanks

If you're in a rush I've ordered mine from Cannondale Spares and it shipped yesterday even though they told me it's BO until end of September.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com