New project - some questions ....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello,

I am thinking to switch my Colnago Super frame to a modern steel one.

I am either going for a Colnago Master or a Pegorreti Marcello that will use the modern setup of the Super.

I am a tall guy weighting 90 kilos who does weekend club rides and some randonnees.

3 questions:

1) Will there be a difference between the Super and the modern Master? If so what?

2) what will the difference be between the Colnago and the Pegorreti as a frame/fork?

The Colnago has more slender chainstays than the beefies of the Pegorreti.

Steel fork vs Carbon ...

Gilco tubeset vs rounded Columbus tubing according to Pegoretti specification.

3) What is the difference in the ride?

I don't argue both will be amazing rides.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

I've owned a Super, still own a Master plus Pegoretti Duende and Responsorium. I've also ridden a Marcelo so will try to help.
For reference I am approx. 80kg and ride a 59 colnago while the pegorettis are closer to his 57/58 geometry. See http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=126384&start=30

For a start, the Master will be a little stiffer than the Super, but I can still get enough flex at the BB under load to get chain rub. Comfort will be as close to the Super as not to matter. As far as forks go I swapped from the force carbon fork to the steel precisa as I preferred the steering accuracy of the steel and didn't feel any real change in comfort.

The Pegoretti feels noticeably stiffer under power and when pushing hard, no hint of rub/flex. Similar well behaved handling to the Colnago, super stable at speed while instant changes of direction are still easy. I climb, sprint and generally ride a bit faster on the Pegorettis. My Duende has the Falz V1 fork while the Responsorium has the Falz V2. Biggest difference is the Falz V2 is 80g lighter and allows a touch more tyre clearance, but both allow bigger tyres than the Colnago. Comfort and steering are spot on with both. I run 25mm on all three, but could easily get 28's on the Respo if needs arose due to the extra fork clearance.

Comfort wise (more noticeable by how I feel at the end of a ride than actually on the road) I would say Duende/Responsorium are best, Master next, Marcelo a touch stiffer, but still very good and by no means harsh. To be honest, it's as subtle as a 5-10psi tyre pressure change.

After the Super all will be a nice step up, but I would pay the extra for any of the Pegorettis.

If after pure performance, I would rank Marcelo, Responsorium, Duende, and lastly Master.

If adding longer ride comfort as a priority, then Duende, Responsorium, Marcelo, Master. I've ranked the Marcelo above the master on this one due to better power transfer/ride feel. I'd say the extra efficiency trumps comfort on longer rides as this is easily felt, the comfort differences are still very subtle between all 4.

Since getting the Pegs I ride the Master less and less, but it is a design classic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Thank for the reply. It sure us right on the spot.

So Marcello is on a slight advantage to the Master.

I love the new Ravenna paintsceme. Hmmmm

Did you see any difference when u changed from the stock carbon fork that comes with the Master to the Precisa?

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

From my experience, the Precisa suits the frame better than the Force carbon, giving a very balanced feel. I didn't notice a huge difference in comfort between the two, but experimented with the 2 forks for a while and settled on the steel as that had a slight edge on comfort and handling precision (lateral stiffness). To be honest, both forks work well with the frame and you won't be disappointed either way, but I would choose the steel if you have the choice. Incidentally I think the "stock fork" is now the Precisa, with the street carbon being an option.

The Marcelo still wins though.

Kupepe

by Kupepe

For a price though ... Almost +30% more expensive.

I think I have a clear view now. Maybe I will save a bit more .

Really thank you