Cannondale CAAD12 105 complete strip with RAW weights

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
TimW

by TimW

Great post. I think the frame/fork weight is perfectly acceptable...but then I ride a Colnago. That stem is pretty light. I quite like the idea of the disc version (the disc frame is apparently lighter?)

There was a custom painted supersix on here a couple of years ago in a dark metallic blue, looked fantastic.

by Weenie

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Nice work and a very good breakdown. Your overall weight wasn't too bad. My '14 CAAD10 (63cm) 105 came in at just under 19lbs with basic non-clipless (any shoe/test ride type) pedals - weighed at the shop before taking off. Same brakes, and a pro compact (52/36) chainset.

I have yet to weigh it after switching the cockpit to C1 parts, handbuilt wheels and a SRAM RED groupset with Force front/rear derailleurs.

Subscribed!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

I have been a member of the Weight Weenies forum since 2002.
This is the BEST EVER posting
Well done!

hjb1000

by hjb1000

prendrefeu- awesome effort, really appreciate the info. :beerchug:

I reckon the frame and fork weight is pretty darn good. The real lead weight is the 5800 shifters.
A 1x11 setup would be super light.

Subscribed, look forward to seeing the results.

PSM

by PSM

:thumbup:

mythical

by mythical

I'm interested in the frame and fork weights sans paint.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Fork is nearly done in removing paint, there's only a few remnants left in the holes at the bottom near the fork ends, and they've been a pain to remove. I want to be thorough about it, of course.

The frame will be soda-blasted to remove the paint. I'm getting estimates on this for three frames in total (the CAAD12, a custom aluminum I had commissioned from a few years back that is in build process, and a steel frame. So the frame weight should be ready sometime by next week, I'm hoping.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Nice thread! Thanks a lot for the detailed info.

SundayNiagara

by SundayNiagara

prendrefeu wrote:Fork is nearly done in removing paint, there's only a few remnants left in the holes at the bottom near the fork ends, and they've been a pain to remove. I want to be thorough about it, of course.

The frame will be soda-blasted to remove the paint. I'm getting estimates on this for three frames in total (the CAAD12, a custom aluminum I had commissioned from a few years back that is in build process, and a steel frame. So the frame weight should be ready sometime by next week, I'm hoping.

I'll betcha the Cannondale folks are watching/following this thread. :D

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

prendrefeu wrote:Fork is nearly done in removing paint, there's only a few remnants left in the holes at the bottom near the fork ends, and they've been a pain to remove. I want to be thorough about it, of course.

Any pics? Also how much does it cost to strip a frame? I have a Allez DSW frame that I've thought about stripping down to bare metal, put some vinyl graphics and then clear coat it... i'm wondering what it would cost.

CAAD997

by CAAD997

CrankAddictsRich wrote:Also how much does it cost to strip a frame? I have a Allez DSW frame that I've thought about stripping down to bare metal, put some vinyl graphics and then clear coat it... i'm wondering what it would cost.

Costs probably vary depending upon where you live, but it should not take a professional more than 30 minutes to soda blast a bicycle frame.

As a comparison, you can buy a portable soda blaster from Harbor Freight for $80 and a 50 lb bag of the soda material is $35. A 3 HP air compressor should run it. I bought one of these last year for a motorcycle project and have used it quite a bit since on various projects.
Two wheelers rock!

superdx

by superdx

SundayNiagara wrote:

I'll betcha the Cannondale folks are watching/following this thread. :D

And happily scratching out his warranty record

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

@SundayNiagara

Maybe, definitely a possibility. WW is well known among industry folks, and it's been referenced when I speak with them at various trade shows - usually referred to as "that place where they push things forward" or something to that extent. I'm sure they're happy that their frame is coming in as light as claimed (or marketed), and their fork is in fact lighter than their previous fork... that said, Cannondale: the fork has issues, you could take a lesson from LOOK and their HSC6 which not only comes in lighter, uncut, it's integrated crown race doesn't create a 1.8mm gap between headtube and fork crown. :roll:

@superdx

Warranty? Never filled out the card, never cared to nor ever thought about the concept of a warranty for this. Even when I bought it I asked the shop to not build it up and just hand me the box, but their policy is to have a built bike delivered to the customer.

@CAAD997
@CrankAddictsRich

I don't know the costs because the company which has a blasting booth locally said they only do sandblasting now. Odd since every other place I called in the LA Area referred to this one company as the "go to" for what I want done. That said, another service place with whom I've worked on other projects is offering to do a chemical strip of three frames for a nice price. They work in aerospace equipment so their chemical process isn't the standard Home Despot variety or method. Dropping them off tomorrow, should have them back by mid-week next week.

The DIY route sounds interesting and I looked it up, but I neither have time nor space to put together a booth and get the technique down proper. Gotta move on!

This week has, and continues to be, crazy with work so I'll get to the fork weight late this evening or something soon. Sorry for the delay!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

CAAD997

by CAAD997

prendrefeu wrote:
I don't know the costs because the company which has a blasting booth locally said they only do sandblasting now. Odd since every other place I called in the LA Area referred to this one company as the "go to" for what I want done. That said, another service place with whom I've worked on other projects is offering to do a chemical strip of three frames for a nice price. They work in aerospace equipment so their chemical process isn't the standard Home Despot variety or method. Dropping them off tomorrow, should have them back by mid-week next week.

The DIY route sounds interesting and I looked it up, but I neither have time nor space to put together a booth and get the technique down proper. Gotta move on!

This week has, and continues to be, crazy with work so I'll get to the fork weight late this evening or something soon. Sorry for the delay!

Sorry to hear that you got the run around on the soda blasting. For future reference, you do not "have to" build a blast cabinet, but it also depends upon where you live and what is tolerated in your neighborhood. Since soda blasting is easy on parts [vs. sandblasting], I would not say that there is any real technique. However, there can be a need for technique when blasting with something more aggressive than soda [like sand] since it can erode the part. I also understand that DIY stuff is not for everyone, especially if you do not have the time. I have soda blasted several motorcycle part projects in my driveway without a blast cabinet and without issue. Looking forward to your data after the paint has been removed.

How do you plan to remove the paint from the fork? Sanding?
Two wheelers rock!

silvalis

by silvalis

wingguy wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:Also, I can't wait to get rid of the atrocity graphics, warranty be damned.
Is it a Cannondale? Is it a CAAD12? "I don't know, maybe we need another logo on here somewhere... I think we have a few spare areas where we can fit in another one" is probably what the marketing & graphics department thought. Maybe their goals are to appeal to 12 year olds, and not humans with reasonable, thoughtful brains in their heads. CAAD12 is written 5 times. Cannondale is written 4 times.

Seriously though, it's not that bad.

For comparison check out an older Speed Concept. They couldn't possibly write 'Trek' 16 times on one frame and still have room left for a bunch more logos... or could they? :P

There are a total of 23 'Bianchi' on my Infinito CV - and only two 'infinito CV'.
Chasse patate

by Weenie