Please recommend a light and reliable bottle cage.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rick

by Rick

Blackburn Slick Bottle Cage is working well for me. 23 gms ea.

boysa

by boysa

Switched from Mandibles to Dave-O and love them. Nothing wrong with the Mandibles, they each just look better on different frames. Either way, I can't see myself using anything other than those two. Ever.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Musiker

by Musiker

These works for me and I got them real cheap:
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BOPXPC/pla ... ottle-cage
Never dropped a bottle After hitting BIG pot holes I sometimes need to push a bottle down because it moved a bit up, but that's it..

rms13

by rms13

I use these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibera-Bicycle-B ... Swk5FUtaJT

aluminum, cheap and about 30g so maybe not super light but have never ejected a bottle

zirinpio97

by zirinpio97

BTP from 4,5 gr to 15 gr .

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Calnago wrote:I found the mandibles tend to crush the water bottle (camelback). Switched to the Arundel Dave-O's. Apparently the same circumference but don't feel as "tight" because of the wider arms which disperses the grip a bit better. Still holds the bottles extremely well.

This is exactly my experience. The Mandibles are too retentive and I would sometimes struggle to get a bottle out. OTOH, Camelbak bottles slide in and out of Dave-O cages very nicely and in five plus years of using them, I have never come close to losing a bottle.

hmai18

by hmai18

Learned about this trick for Mandibles a while ago: you can insert a wine bottle into the cage and stick it in the oven on a really low temp for a few minutes to stretch it out and make it less tight.

If they match the aesthetic of your bike, it's hard to beat the King titanium cage.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

hmai18 wrote:Learned about this trick for Mandibles a while ago: you can insert a wine bottle into the cage and stick it in the oven on a really low temp for a few minutes to stretch it out and make it less tight.

If they match the aesthetic of your bike, it's hard to beat the King titanium cage.

I may just give that a try. I have an upcoming build that needs cages and I still have my mandibles on the shelf.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That little trick actually would "stretch them out" as you say. The reason they crush some bottles is due to the thinness of the arms (mandibles). The Dave-0's have the same grip but distributed over a wider surface area, so they still hold super tight but don't crush, and the bottles slide in and out much easier. I wouldn't want to "stretch" them. Then some bottles might actually fit loose.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I use the Zipp Vuka BTA cages and they hold the bottles (I use elite bottles btw.) very well, almost too well.

phantom10639

by phantom10639

Williams cycling makes a nice one 28 g and $29

tinozee

by tinozee

I use Mandibles and they're awesome with spesh bottles. I like big mouth and purist tops for those. Neither of them get squished in mandibles. The Elite cages are strong holding as well but a lil porky.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

+1 on the Mandibles and interesting suggestion to apply a coat of wax on the inner surface...will give that a try.

otoman

by otoman

Specialized rib cage. Carbon is "<20g" claimed and $55, plastic is 33g claimed $20. I have ejected too many bottles mid race to use any Zipp cage any more. Any performance gain by saving 13 grams is more than offset by the dehydration you suffer or the turnaround you make to fetch your bottle. Not a great place to get super weight weenie. The plastic rib cages are great.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I'll add my votes for Arundel too. I've got Dave-Os on one bike and Mandibles on another. They are fantastic cages.