BSA30 Bottom Brackets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

I've been switching my Rotor 3D+ back and forth between a road and TT bike, but recently got an S-Works Power2Max and want to sell the now redundant Rotor unit.

So I realized that the S-Works crank might not work on the TT bike I'm using, which has a standard threaded BB (S-Works Transition). I know Rotor makes a BSA30 BB, but would that be too wide for the Speci spindle? From what I gather they're both 68mm? Or am I incorrect?

Also, RaceFace now makes this: http://www.raceface.com/components/bott ... nch-bsa30/ which has a 68mm width.

Anyone know if any of these will work for what I am trying to do- i.e. use my S-Works cranks on both bikes?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Following:)
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Rotor BSA30 require "UBB30" spindle length. In human language : same as "Shimano" and BB386. So if your S crank has shorter axle than that, then it will be to short.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

glepore

by glepore

Shimano default width is roughly 86mm (shell is 68mm plus the external cups). If the sworks cranks have a length of that plus the nds arm engagement area it should be a go with the Rotor or any other thread in 30mm BB. Shims are your friend if it doesn't preload correctly due to an overlength issue.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

ooo

by ooo

Anyone know BSA30 bb with low profile caps around 9-9.5mm each (18-19mm total width) ?
I have found token BB386BSA which have 9.25+0.5=9.75 caps (with sealing) is almost what I need
but for most other bsa30 I can't find any info on caps width (please share, if you know anything)

Is it possible to use FSA 386 BSA bottom brackets (like Evo8681-Di2) with BSA30 cranksets?
FSA BB have 30mm inside diameter and same caps width around 9-10mm
But one of reviewers on crc posted that 'INCOMPATIBLES TO MOST CRANKSET OF DIFFERENT BRAND' without any details
Attachments
token BB386BSA
token BB386BSA
'

hambini

by hambini

Shimano default axles are about 90mm between the crank arms.

If you add in the width of the cups to the edge of the bearing onto a BSA frame you get 68+11 + 11 = 90

True BB386 cranks have an 86.5mm spindle length and will not fit as they come up short. However, BB30 axles with a 90+mm effective length (BB30 extended) are often marketed as BB386 hence they fit.

You just need to check what you are getting or have. I have some drawings of common bottom bracket setups here

https://www.hambini.com/technical-suppo ... re=default
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

ooo

by ooo

Axle length between 2 installed crank arms: 99 mm
Total width outside of 68mm bb shell: 99-68=31 mm
Width outside of 68mm on each side: 31*0,5=15,5 mm

Plastic threaded Sram preloader width is 6,4 mm - compatible with ≤9,0 mm BSA30/BB386EVO-BSA left bb cap
Metalic threaded Cane Creek preloader is 6,0 mm - compatible with ≤9,5 mm BSA30/BB386EVO-BSA left bb cap
Wavy washer (instead of threaded preloader) - compatible with (any) ≤15 mm BSA30/BB386EVO-BSA left bb cap
'

ooo

by ooo

I figure out how to fit cranks to frame and get correct chainline.
Now I want to find best setup for winter/bad weather use:

1. Narrow bsa caps for 30mm axle with simple sealing + sram plastic or cane creek metalic preloader (axle not exposed)
caps93.gif
plastic-preloader.jpg
2. Wide BSA caps for 30mm axle with better sealing + wavy washer instead of plastic preloader + spacers to make exposed axle as little as possible
caps100.jpg
wavy-washer.jpg
3. Wide BSA caps for 30mm axle with better sealing + left BSA cap reduced 0.5-1.0mm to fit plastic preloader + plastic preloader (axle not exposed)
caps100reduce.jpg
last one look good in theory, but it may result in creaking?
@hambini, what is recommended precision for this mod?
'

hambini

by hambini

ooo wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:30 pm
I figure out how to fit cranks to frame and get correct chainline.
Now I want to find best setup for winter/bad weather use:

1. Narrow bsa caps for 30mm axle with simple sealing + sram plastic or cane creek metalic preloader (axle not exposed)
caps93.gif
plastic-preloader.jpg

2. Wide BSA caps for 30mm axle with better sealing + wavy washer instead of plastic preloader + spacers to make exposed axle as little as possible
caps100.jpg
wavy-washer.jpg

3. Wide BSA caps for 30mm axle with better sealing + left BSA cap reduced 0.5-1.0mm to fit plastic preloader + plastic preloader (axle not exposed)
caps100reduce.jpg

last one look good in theory, but it may result in creaking?
@hambini, what is recommended precision for this mod?
Best modification is your choice of bearings. The external seals will have limited effect in winter. I would suggest you get FAG 2RS or NTN LLU bearings, the seals on these are good. Use of an O ring on the periphery is not a good idea, dirt and fluid naturally gets expelled outwards so you block this path.

Hope that helps

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

ooo

by ooo

Thanks for advice, I will look for caps without o ring and find better bearing
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com