Woot! Extralite Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lannes

by lannes

OP's stem doesn't look like that with the sharp edges rounded off, must be old stock

OP why is your stem so short ? do you realise the steering will be extremely quick, it's would be better to get a 100mm stem, if you can fit that.
Is your frame too big for you ?

addictR1

by addictR1

WannabeWeenie: haha.. i have to agree with you on the wrapping thumb pat. i'm not a big 1911 fan.. so the 1911 i picked up is the SA1911 target model with a nice dovetail in the back to prevent slide bite. ;)

PSM wrote:From Extralite today:

wow.. thanks for sharing that cuz i guess the one i got was old stock like the one other ppl had with bite marks in the stem.

i did just that and rounded off the edges.

lannes: yes i'm aware the shorter stem = quick turns.. which i like. before i was running a 90mm Uno stem and that was good too, but on my CX I'm using a 80mm and felt pretty good. :) overall looks like the -12 degree might just work out.. looks parallel to the ground and slammed.. just hope my back can handle it.. old man here...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

PSM wrote:From Extralite today:

How come Sergio and the boys shared this drawing with you?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

addictR1

by addictR1

i told Victor @ starbikes about the sharp edges and even emailed them the photo i posted on here. Victor said they will let Extradite know. but was surprise to see this cad drawing since the one i got does not look like that at all.

PSM

by PSM

I e-mailed them.

liam7020

by liam7020

addictR1 wrote:here's an update.. just got my extralite stem. was very disappointed...

i ordered a 6° in 80mm.. but they shipped me a 12° instead...
i've waited almost a month for this only to get the wrong part... :(

also, just feeling it with my fingers, i do notice the edges being sharp and not really smooth. if this 12° would work then might have to use dremel with polish wheel and smooth it out.

I've been considering the 6 degree Hyperstem for a new build. I noticed that Starbike have both 6 and 12 listed but the product description under the 6 degree stem actually refers to the 12 degree version. A bit confusing to say the least, so I'll email them for clarification before splashing the cash. Let us know if they exchange it for you. TA
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

addictR1

by addictR1

liam7020: i had some email exchanged with starbike.. they've proposed to partial refund me.. but let's see if they follow through on that. i've went ahead and mod the stem and completed my build. 12° seems to be parallel to the ground for my fork that's 72°. i think with 6° slammed, it might still have some rise for my bike, not sure about yours..

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

PSM wrote:I e-mailed them.

Yes i understand! But as what, an owner with hands on experience or as a dealer?

I ask since i have used this stem and have a story around it.

I feel i have a bit of responsibility in this, "high lighting" the issue and that is why i ask.

It is good this comes out instead of creating doubts of this stem.

I had no intention to cause an issue for Extralite. So i think this is good, that the update is avaible for new customers to see.

Your CAD drawing, is it only showing steerer tube clamping, or does it extend to the handlebar clamping and edges between the two clamps (clamping

handlebar to stem)?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I have this stem, as I mentioned earlier in the thread.

I have just checked the steerer clamping area, as well as the handlebar clamping area on both the main body, and the two front pieces.

All parts have angled edges, just like in the 3D drawing.

PSM

by PSM

How old is it?

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Mine?

I bought it in October this year, so about a month and a half.

PSM

by PSM

Great. All should be like this since mid 2015 according to Sergio.

addictR1

by addictR1

err... i just received mine this week and it did not have that groove. however i ordered the 80mm version which may not be as popular, so maybe it was still old stock.

PSM

by PSM

But did you order from Exralite?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velomane

by velomane

If I understand you guys, the one I'm expecting (from Starbike, who are still waiting on Extralite) should have the cutouts. Is this correct?