Woot! Extralite Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

wheelsONfire: bite marks on steer tube? is it not properly sanded down on the extralite edges that's causing it?

rpenmanparker: i bought my zipp SL to replace my Kestrel EMS Pro, which also cracked using the Kalloy UNO stem at 4nm. :(

danbjpa

by danbjpa

+1 on Extralite hyperstem (with Haero Carbon handlebar).
Installed with carbon paste and tight < 3 Nm. Rough roads here and no problem so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Just be careful with torque and use carbon paste, also keep an eye at the steerer tube from time to time.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

addictR1

by addictR1

thanks wheelsONfire... i'll check it out when it arrives. if any rough edges, i'll smooth it out prior to install.

velomane

by velomane

What are bite marks? A pic would be helpful.

addictR1

by addictR1

velomane: wheelsONfire had his THM fork repaired already, so i'm not sure if he still has bite mark photos from using the extralite before.

velomane

by velomane

So, wheelsONfire, would you happen to have a pic. I tried searching through your posts to no avail.

addictR1

by addictR1

well, i did some search and looks like other had the bite mark as well using hyperstem

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=135956

L84AD8 also posted here's bite marks with hyperstem... now i'm a bit concerned.. surprised that it's not mentioned a lot on WW forum. either that or many other use a different brand of lightweight stem?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

velomane wrote:So, wheelsONfire, would you happen to have a pic. I tried searching through your posts to no avail.

No i have no pictures saved anymore, i am sorry!

But yes, it's true.

This is the steerer clamping of a Hyperstem. The regions of clamping made small bite marks. It was obvious these bite marks started the problem.

Looking at the outcome of the cracks, it could not be mistaken.

Cracks originated and grew from same spots as bite marks and the forks were severely damaged.

I noticed due to a phase of fit where i changed stems.

First i did not believe it could be the Hyperstem and switched it to my other bike which had same problem.

Ax Lightness Helios and THM CT fork. Now let me say, CT is like most of the later THM forks, very thick steerer tube.

I would bet they offer the thickest steerer tube avaible today and still they are among the lightest forks.

Make no assumption it is a weak fork, cause it's not.

If this fork took a beating, i don't know what fork had not done it.

Further, THM uses there own solution to a-head clamp. There is no expander, the whole inside of the fork is carbon threads and it comes with it's own lock

bolt. This fork should be near bomb-proof if circumstances are fair.

No over-torque of stem (set at 2.7Nm - 2.9Nm) , all components in excellent condition previous to Hyperstem.

There are many guys using Hyperstem and i have heard many like it.

I am not here to bash Extralite and i want to point this out!

But no-one can actually say that this, what happened to me, will not happen again.

Personally, i am a firm believer this tiny clamping is adding more stress to the steerer tube and

actually, it should be same for handlebar clamp region.

Even so, i know the stem design has been tested and approved to be safe.

But since i only ride at road and followed the mounting instruction, i can only conclude it is not for me.

There are always micro-movements and if there is a larger and round/ smooth clamping area at the stem, all stress will be more evenly distributed.

I prefer the clamping of Superlogic C260. It is huge and smooth by comparison.

Or, if the WW nerve dictates the rules, MCFK stem would be my choice due to it's clamping and weight (ofcourse)!

However, i really like the combo, Superlogic C260 and Superlogic handlebar.

Weight is good, stem is stiff and feels good with the handlebar which IMO, is superbly angled.
Attachments
HyperStem O-12 100 5.jpg
RITCHEY-Vorbau-SUPERLOGIC-C260-Carbon-6_b2.jpg
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hmmm, I've got a Hyperstem on my F8, I'll whip it off and check for any damage being done to the steerer tube or bars. Don't like the idea of that
BB

Coffee & carbon

velomane

by velomane

Thanks for greatly informative post, wheelsONfire. Nonetheless, I look forward to receiving and mounting my Ultrastem.

spud

by spud

That stem looks like it could use a little dressing in the steerer clamp area - some gentle filing would remove the hard corner that causes the bite.

addictR1

by addictR1

beanbiken: be sure to post up some close-up pics when you do take the stem off. would like to see as well. thanks.

spud: yea, i agree.. the edges looks a bit sharp.. will check for it when i get mine. plan to use some 1000 or 2000grit sand paper around all the edges before mounting it on my addict's fork.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Well took the stem off, cleaned off the carbon paste and checked the steerer out. Sorry addictR1 I didn't take any snaps but rest assure I saw no evidence of any bite marks or damage to the steerer tube what so ever. Fresh paste and re-torqued and ready to ride. Actually just thinking about it I will whip it back off if time permits and give it a light sand to the inner edges I'll take some images at the same time and will post them.

Steve.
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I have the HyperStem 0-6.

Took it off the steerer. No marks, grooves or cracks. I torqued it until it didn't move, and just under 3nm. I have been laying down hard sprints on this stem, and it has not damaged the steerer.