Woot! Extralite Stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

maverick_1 wrote:Any pics of the reworked stem? I would like to see how it was filed.

Tried to take a good picture. But you won't see it. It's just the inner edge which is filed down and they've used a black marker pen to cover it.
But it's a miss, the should have done this 45 degree angle at the handlebar clamp to.
It's like you pick up your stem, use a fine file and file an angle of 45 degree at the edge which is against the steerer tube.
You need no picture to understand i hope?

My camera is probably to crappy to pick it up good.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I guess because mine was later on, they contacted me and asked me if I wanted them to modify the original stem I had purchased or wait for the new design to come off the production line, which meant waiting an extra couple of weeks. Since I knew I'd be selling mine, I opted to wait.
Speedplay is the devil!

danbjpa

by danbjpa

i mounted mine in same hour that i received and forget of take a picture -sorry.. but the edges now is round (exactly as @PSM drawing) and no more 'cut' if you pass finger fast.
for all those don't feel safely with Hyperstem, i think the RoadstemOC model is a good option without much weight penalty (Hyperstem 78g - Roadstem 84g for 100mm)

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

wheelsONfire: which stem are u using now

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

addictR1 wrote:wheelsONfire: which stem are u using now

Ritchey Superlogic C260

http://ritcheylogic.com/superlogic-c260-stem

+

http://ritcheylogic.com/superlogic-logic-2-road-bar

I decided to skip weight savings at all cost. I also find Hyperstem a bit to soft (flexing).

Off topic, but this is what i like with the FSA K-Force Light BB 386 crank. The chainrings are super stiff, this makes shifting very precise.
What you read in the tests of cranksets, is just the stiffness of the crankset (not chainrings).
When chainrings are a bit soft, your risk losing shifting precision.
I try to keep a balance of low weight without selling out the performance.
Obviously, my Extralite stem was both damaging steerer tubes and handlebars aswell as being to soft.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

P90Puma

by P90Puma

Are people still having this issue with their extralite stems?

bilwit

by bilwit

P90Puma wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 am
I used it for several thousands of kms last year and checked the handlebars (carbon) & steerer (carbon) multiple times and didn't have a problem. Just be careful with the torque on the bolts and use a torque wrench.

That said, I've since replaced them with Kalloy Unos because the -7/-17 degrees are more up to spec with my position & bikes rather than the -6/-12 offered for the Hyperstem. They weigh a bit more (~25-30g or so) but I can live with that. I've been meaning to sell the two Hyperstems I have actually but haven't gotten around to it yet :x

reedplayer

by reedplayer

P90Puma wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:32 am
2019 now, and asking this question once more: still any problems with extralite hyperstem "eating" steerer tubes, or now a thing of the past?
Thanks for short infos, regards,

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I've used mine for 3300km, took it off few times when I was cutting down steerer tube and do not have any problems what so ever. It's installed with some carbon paste and tightened to 2,5Nm. No slippage on handlebar side as well.
Last edited by IvanZg on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

IvanZg wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:35 pm
I've used mine for 3300km, took it off few times when I was cutting down steerer tube and do not have any problems what so ever. It's installed with some carbon paste and tightened to 3,5Nm. No slippage on handlebar side as well.
You tightened to 3.5Nm? I just installed mine at 2.5Nm with the instruction suggesting 1.5-3.0 Nm.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

eric01

by eric01

No problems with mine. Later revisions have beveled edges which address the biting into the steerer
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

IvanZg

by IvanZg

Noctiluxx wrote:
IvanZg wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:35 pm
I've used mine for 3300km, took it off few times when I was cutting down steerer tube and do not have any problems what so ever. It's installed with some carbon paste and tightened to 3,5Nm. No slippage on handlebar side as well.
You tightened to 3.5Nm? I just installed mine at 2.5Nm with the instruction suggesting 1.5-3.0 Nm.
I missed typed it, it's 2,5 Nm

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

reedplayer

by reedplayer

thanks for feedback, sounds like a permition to pull the trigger.
regards,

velomane

by velomane

While we're all here, do any of you have a spare bolt to sell me? I overtightened one on my Hyperstem.

Wetrider

by Wetrider

I was reading the instructions and it says specifically not to use carbon paste around the handlebar clamp though it didn't mention anything about that for the steerer clamp. Did you guys use paste on both clamps, just the steerer or just the bar clamp?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com