What tubular with great puncture resistance ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Caffè latex never worked once out of 3 tries, pretty poor success rate I'll say. Orange seal is great, works perfectly for my latex tubed Vittoria corsas. If I see a slow leak over time after a repair, I just top up more and it's good again.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It’s utterly bizarre how people on various fora still use anything but Orange Seal (unless they have a secret homebrew that works even better.)

It’s somehow the best and worst kept secret at the same time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gkski

by gkski

How well does Orange Seal work with butyl tubes (both in Sprinter tubs and in clinchers)?

elSid

by elSid

Orange Seal works to seal holes up to about 1mm for my tubulars. Butyl or latex inner tube doesn't matter.

I add a bit as a preventative measure, and carry a small cannister in case I hit something bigger out on the road. This setup rarely lets me down.

DHG01

by DHG01

No, not the pressurized canister. Effetto Mariposa.

The one in this link. You might want to pass a bit to a 1 oz bottle.

Orange seal, as said, is also known to work well.

https://www.bikeshop.es/liquido-prevent ... xuEALw_wcB

mrlobber

by mrlobber

In my experience regularly riding tubs, small punctures and slow leaks can be perfectly fixed with Orange Seal, have at least 3 tubs in my arsenal being happily ridden further for thousands of km, but it can't do shit if you slash the sidewall to a 3-4mm cut (not that surprising, of course).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

petromyzon

by petromyzon

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:24 am
It’s utterly bizarre how people on various fora still use anything but Orange Seal (unless they have a secret homebrew that works even better.)
It’s somehow the best and worst kept secret at the same time.
It's the best I've used but more than double the price of Stan's per unit volume where I live. Also only available in small containers so more plastic waste.

gkski

by gkski

I used Conti Revo this season in my rear Gatorskin tub and in the butyl tubes of a clincher wheel set.

I cannot tell if it worked, but I also had some in my Wife’s clinchers and the 1 time it was put to the test my pump accidentally unscrewed the valve stem ruining its chances. It didn’t seem to want to work right off, but several wheel spins seemed to have slowed the leak.

I hardly hear of anyone using the Revo so I may just try the OrangeSeal (regular formula, right?) or the Mariposa.

GS100

by GS100

DHG01 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:16 am

The thing with latex is that it doesn't tear with small punctures like butyl and it stretches/sticks to itself.
A puncture the size of a small needle won't require repare
This makes perfect sense and would explain why I've successfully sealed tubs with latex inners in the past.

I know tubulars aren't for everyone but for me they still have more going for them than road tubeless, provided I can still fix with sealant, that is.

Going to try to source some orange seal anyway as per feedback, must take every advantage where I can get it against the Puncture Gods.

gkski

by gkski

Interesting. Crickets on the Conti Revo post. Must be even fewer riders than I thought using it.