SRAM Red 10 speed rear derailleur breaking, any experiences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

good thing i'll never even get close to the mileages yall are putting on your derailleurs... By the time I put 20k km's on my newly-purcahsed red22 Ti-axled RD, the whole thing might as well die already so that I can upgrade to a graphene frame and a 1x15 drivetrain :D

MitoMotrix

by MitoMotrix

Hi from Berlin, hopefully I am not hiking a thread, I am new here. Just need some help wether I can have my Red derailleur repaired after loosing of of the bolts. Has seen only 4k km. There are bolt kits, but none include the one I need as far as I can see. Thanks in advance for any knowledge.
Attachments
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

Avalius wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:22 am
Sram Red22 user here, mine broke exactly like described. Derailleur pad and some spokes broke to...
:roll: It's a common problem and the situation is the same as with the Wi-FLi derailleurs. There was a recall https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2013/sram- ... r-bicycles Why not here? These derailleurs are a fall hazard.

And regarding my inquiry about a spare steel secure pin, there was at first positive feedback (tech dep. will check), now the standard contact your lbs. :(

And if they won't offer those, there are no spare parts for the problem above either. You can only buy a used/crashed derailleur to get the bolt.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Guys, sorry to drag up this old thread but my son is in the situation with a warn Red 10 speed rear derailleur. Not sure how to go about it as the information out there doesn’t seem to be conclusive. Emailed our SRAM importer and while helpful at the end of it he believed that a Force cage would not fit. My son is ok with buying a new Red derailleur (11 speed) but if they still use the same design with titanium/alloy wear parts??.
So..... I can get a new OEM Force 10 speed RD but will the cage fit? Or a new Red 11 speed RD but do they still suffer the same way? TIA...
BB

Coffee & carbon

quadlt250

by quadlt250

beanbiken wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:58 pm
Guys, sorry to drag up this old thread but my son is in the situation with a warn Red 10 speed rear derailleur. Not sure how to go about it as the information out there doesn’t seem to be conclusive. Emailed our SRAM importer and while helpful at the end of it he believed that a Force cage would not fit. My son is ok with buying a new Red derailleur (11 speed) but if they still use the same design with titanium/alloy wear parts??.
So..... I can get a new OEM Force 10 speed RD but will the cage fit? Or a new Red 11 speed RD but do they still suffer the same way? TIA...
All Sram road 10 & 11 speed rear derailleurs are interchangable (1:1 actuation). The Force 10spd & Force 22 cages will absolutely work on a Red 10spd derailleur.

*standard 2x type derailleurs, not 1x

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Thank you so much Q. I reckon we need to put our name on one of those Force derailleurs.... thanks again :thumbup:
BB

Coffee & carbon

bikedork

by bikedork

I was cleaning up the bike as it is a bit too damp around Seattle to take the "nice" bike out and found my 10-speed Sram Red derailleur was "catching" when moving the cage. I took it off the bike and cleaned it up and the action was weird (moving in/out) as the cage rotated under spring tension. I then found this thread and was annoyed. I pulled the retaining screw and my post and retaining screw looks like others in this thread. Upon reading 10 pages, I understand that Sram doesn't make a replacement cage assembly and screw. Am I understanding that the "solution" is to bring it to my LBS and they will send it into Sram for repair/replacement? I had been noticing some strange shift behaviour (mostly noise) probably due to this excess movement.

quadlt250

by quadlt250

Yes, i'd try the LBS route first. If they can't/won't sort it out for you, then i'd suggest looking for a replacement cage, or at the very least removing the axle and rotating it 180 degrees to get some extra life out of it (check page 9 here for a quick guide of how to do that)

bikedork

by bikedork

I dropped it off at my local bike shoppe, waiting for their warranty person to get back to me, but it might take a few days. I suspect they'll need to call Sram to get authorization for the return? Reading the forums, it seems like I could just "taint" my 100% Red setup with a Force rear derailleur. Boo. I assume the new AXS stuff or latest eTap doesn't have the same engineering flaw?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

If you buy a force rd and replace just the inner cage on the red rd with the force one you will gain next to no weight and have a steel axle.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bikedork

by bikedork

Yep, I get that...the outer cage will be from Force, but the rest can be Red. Seems lame to buy a whole Force derailleur, take it apart, use part of it, then throw the rest away? I mean, really? On my Red (and others have shown), it is both the shaft and the srew that is worn. In the Force, are both the flared part of the cage axle AND the screw that holds it in situ different than Red? It would seem that the Red axle/screw must be the same material for them both to wear.

Anyhow, poor engineering on Sram and it carried into the 11-speed stuff. I assume the AXS/eTap stuff doesn't have this problem.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

bikedork wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:49 am
Anyhow, poor engineering on Sram and it carried into the 11-speed stuff. I assume the AXS/eTap stuff doesn't have this problem.
We don't know about AXS yet. It's still too new to have long term track record of it.
But Etap doesn't do well with many people have their rear derailleurs stop functioning.

bikedork

by bikedork

Got a call from the bike shoppe: they called Sram and they have declined a warranty repair due to the age of the deraillleur (manufactured in 2011). They called it a wear-issue. It would seem that if Sram says it is "worn", then maybe they ought to offer replacement parts for what is worn? I mean, right? Anyhow...now to see what I want to do about it.

1) Buy a Force and just bolt it on and use it
2) Buy a Force and strip it apart to make a hybrid Force/Red
3) Find a used/busted derailleur I could scavenge for parts
4) Buy a new medium cage derailleur and larger cassette to allow me to go to 12-32

I'll post once I order and get it all together.

bikedork

by bikedork

Update....

I found a beat-up Force derailleur which had a lot of rash on it, but the cage appeared ok. I just took it apart and put the outer cage/axle from that and moved my inner cage and pulleys into it and it seems ok.

I noted that the pin/screw thing is phillips and is ALMOST rounded out. Can you get just that pin/retainer somewhere? I can't seem to find them, which I assume means that you can't readily get one?

Beaver

by Beaver

SRAM doesn't offer spare parts as the derailleur is not subject to wear. 🙄

And there are still a lot of worn derailleurs on the roads, which may break any time. Not recalling those is a disgrace. 😒

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com