SRAM Red 10 speed rear derailleur breaking, any experiences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beaver

by Beaver

hambini wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:52 pm
I would be a bit more worried about the certification.

Assuming it's CE marked, if a third party installs a part on it, it has to be made to the same spec as the original with documentation otherwise the certification is null and void. If someone then subsequently has an accident, the supplier can be prosecuted. This is an extreme case but I think it's only time before one of these western rebranders of chinese wheels comes up short.
Yes, some "sticker wheel companies" might get into trouble sooner or later... But if there's a product liability I really don't unterstand that SRAM doesn't react.

This is a Force derailleur with the (hardened) steel bold on the outer cage, but the same light stainless steel secure pin, as used everywhere else, with 25-30,000kms:

The pin will still keep the cage in place but for how long, as it shows the known signs of wear? This pin needs to be offered as a spare part and the users informed, that it is subject to wear. Regarding the SRAM RED derailleurs produced up to 2016 a failure will occur much earlier as the titanium bolt will also wear:

There are already enough people that smashed their rear wheels/frames because of this - and it's also an unnecessary fall hazard.

Beaver

by Beaver

And we saved another one from a lot of trouble (produced 2013)...

https://forum.tour-magazin.de/showthrea ... ost6012089

Interestingly this 2011 one is supposed to have 20,000kms and shows only tiny marks of wear. The material looks different:

https://forum.tour-magazin.de/showthrea ... ost6012068

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Just checked my wifli sram red 22( pre etap graphics)
Steel axle w no wear, minor wear on pin.
Have just a second hand sacrificial force rd to replace cage on my old 10 speed red rd.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beaver

by Beaver

NiFTY wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:52 pm
Just checked my wifli sram red 22( pre etap graphics)
Steel axle w no wear, minor wear on pin.
Have just a second hand sacrificial force rd to replace cage on my old 10 speed red rd.
WiFli derailleurs should have a steel bolt after the recall 2013: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2013/sram- ... r-bicycles

When was yours produced (check the serial number on the inner cage, the number in front of the T is the week of the year, the number behind the last digit of the year)?

And your secure pin also is smooth, not like the (durable) one above?

Beaver

by Beaver

Does anyone have another example of the left "rough" but durable secure pin and could put it on the scales? The right one (in the shorter road version) is below 1g it seems...for a wearing part...

Beaver

by Beaver

Here's another real close call:

https://forum.tour-magazin.de/showthrea ... ost6015801

So far no reaction from SRAM.

Please inform the RED mechanical users around you - with high mileage it gets dangerous.

1415chris

by 1415chris

That is very lame, SRAM!
You owe me for the cost of cx-ray spoke, my labour, taxi bill and as a compensation for the inconvenience I would accept partial refund for your new Red 22 rear mechanism I had to buy to put myself back on the bike.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Recently spoke with SRAM Tech/Warranty about this issue. I took my derailleur apart and axle/pin were definitely worn and likely to fail within 100 miles, so I'm glad I finally dug into it.

SRAM says the CSPC recall 14-038 is only for the WiFLi derailleurs. The recall has a table of serial numbers and my RD matches the range of numbers, but they were reluctant to offer anyhting besides "sorry yours will not have any issues". They also mentioned that the cages are installed at the factory and are not a removable/replaceable part despite the fact that i said I removed my cage to inspect it.

Sticking to their guns because the recall specifiaclly identifies WiFLi derailleurs but the short cage mechs are also clearly affected. Looks like ill have to buy a replacement

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2013/sram- ... r-bicycles

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Nothing more to add here apart from the fact that my wife had a similar issue on a 10 speed xx mountain bike derailleur a few years ago, so if you have one of those then watch out.

Beaver

by Beaver

wpccrunner wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:52 pm
Recently spoke with SRAM Tech/Warranty about this issue. I took my derailleur apart and axle/pin were definitely worn and likely to fail within 100 miles, so I'm glad I finally dug into it.

SRAM says the CSPC recall 14-038 is only for the WiFLi derailleurs. The recall has a table of serial numbers and my RD matches the range of numbers, but they were reluctant to offer anyhting besides "sorry yours will not have any issues". They also mentioned that the cages are installed at the factory and are not a removable/replaceable part despite the fact that i said I removed my cage to inspect it.

Sticking to their guns because the recall specifiaclly identifies WiFLi derailleurs but the short cage mechs are also clearly affected. Looks like ill have to buy a replacement

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2013/sram- ... r-bicycles
Hm, that was a quite uninformed SRAM employee or he/she is following strict official statements. :roll:

This and other threads show it's a general problem with all RED derailleurs before eTap design 2016 - with WiFLi and short cages. And even all derailleurs with a steel bold on the cage (RED 2016+, Force, Rival...) will sooner or later fail, as they use the same light steel secure pin, which will show wear with time.

These are a fall hazard and need to be recalled.
GlacialPace wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:02 am
Nothing more to add here apart from the fact that my wife had a similar issue on a 10 speed xx mountain bike derailleur a few years ago, so if you have one of those then watch out.
It's the same story. Those also got a steel instead of titanium bolt on the cage: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134965&start=90#p1527314 But the problem with the "too light" secure pin will also cause trouble here sooner or later. They need to offer these as a replacement in a stronger version.

Beaver

by Beaver

Got a replacement derailleur for my worn derailleur today. The old one had been 10speed and so is the new one. It's from 2018 and also has a steel bolt on the outer cage:

But we still need a stronger replacement for the secure pin.

Beaver

by Beaver

SRAM's response to a new and stronger secure pin:"please notice we constantly work on improvement for our products. We will validate feedback and see if changes will be made. However this happens in another departement. We will forward any feedback given. Please be aware that resources for this matter might not be as big as the development for more current products."

And they also had issues with the X9 derailleurs:

https://nsmb.com/forum/forum/gear-4/top ... leur-1995/

https://forums.mtbr.com/sram/x9-rear-de ... 64538.html

Here these guys helped: http://thefixinc.com/ Maybe they could also help here, if SRAM does not.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

i just bought a new force 22 derailleur. replaced teh worn sram outer cage and fixing pin with those from the Force. Kept the Red inner cage. Pulley bolts had to be swapped as well. Havent ridden it yet but shifts fine in the stand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

wpccrunner wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:50 am
i just bought a new force 22 derailleur. replaced teh worn sram outer cage and fixing pin with those from the Force. Kept the Red inner cage. Pulley bolts had to be swapped as well. Havent ridden it yet but shifts fine in the stand
You only need the outer cage, all other parts can be re-used:

But sending the whole derailleur to SRAM would be better, as you might get a new one with steel bolt on the outer cage and that these will be finally recalled like the WiFLi derailleurs.