SRAM Red 10 speed rear derailleur breaking, any experiences?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lucendi

by Lucendi

My Sram RED 22 rear derailleur had this same problem where the axle on the inner cage and the lock screw is worn.

I came up with a $0/free fix that brought it back to life again!

It involves flipping the axle and manufacturing a new lock screw. See my thread for more info on how I did this;

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166443

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

Nice DIY job! :thumbup:

Could you please check how long the selfmade pin will last? Someone on Tour forum also tried this and the pin already showed strong signs of wear after some thousand kilometers.

And I still wish, SRAM would recall these with titanium bolt and offer replacement secure pins for the steel bolt ones, as those will also wear with time.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Beaver wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 10:27 am
Nice DIY job! :thumbup:

Could you please check how long the selfmade pin will last? Someone on Tour forum also tried this and the pin already showed strong signs of wear after some thousand kilometers.

And I still wish, SRAM would recall these with titanium bolt and offer replacement secure pins for the steel bolt ones, as those will also wear with time.
Thank you!

The real long term fix is to service the rear derailleur regularly and keep the pin and axle properly greased so to minimize future wear.

Beaver

by Beaver

..and how does your DIY solution perform in the long run? ;)

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Beaver wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:09 pm
..and how does your DIY solution perform in the long run? ;)
I dissassembled the rear derailleur a few weeks ago and inspected it for wear.

The homemade screw and rotated axle still had plenty of grease around the contact points and there was no visible wear. I also inspected the rotated axle to see if the threadlocker had kept it in place and aligned, and it was straight and felt secure. - I regreased everything and reassembled the rear derailleur again.

I think the homemade screw is a viable option for a permanent fix to the issue as long as you service the rear derailleur regularly with grease. I am using a very high film strength petroleum based grease and it does a wonderful job.

tfayet

by tfayet

Hello
Do you know where it is possible to buy this screw (on the right on the photo) for a sram red rear derailleur ?
Attachments
adjustmentsggjga.jpg

TonGinic

by TonGinic

quadlt250 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:35 am

Quick step by step instructions (with tools required):

- first remove the chain (quick link pliers)
- remove derailleur cable (5mm allen key)
- remove derailleur from frame (5mm allen key)
- remove pulley wheels from derailleur (3mm allen key)
- remove derailleur cage pin (small phillips screwdriver) unscrew pin and pull to remove, it only has a few threads.
- now, once that pin is removed, you can detach the cage from the deraileur p-knuckle. There will be a spring inside, but it isn't compressed or anything so you shouldn't have to worry about losing it.
- with the cage removed, you can clean it and assess the cage axle for damage.

Hopefully this helps someone out.
Cheers!!
I feel stupid for asking, but which one / where is the cage pin (step 5), on a Force 10s RD?

Also thank you for posting that guide.

tommasini

by tommasini

By any chance is the the replacement part that many of you have been hoping for?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/394454000023