chain lube

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Asteroid

by Asteroid

AJS914 wrote:
Asteroid wrote:A couple on this thread did not like White Lightning. My experience with the wax-based Clean Ride version (over twenty years!) has always been great here in sunny Southern California.

Back in the day, like 25 years ago I used to be a die hard White Lightning user. In the end I quit using it because the wax build-up that always happens. I would just end up with messy, gross derailleur pulleys.

I'm a Rock N Roll gold believer. It is thin and needs to be applied every few rides but I like the cleaning and lubing all in one shot approach. Everything stays clean enough that I'll only do one full bike wash when installing a new chain. I also wipe my bike down after rides so it stays looking clean all the time.

The wax buildup occurs when one does not wipe off the excess on chain, rings, pulleys. Refer to my #3 & #4. Actually, you practice wiping down your bike, so that should avoid the buildup. White Lightning is self-cleaning, similar to Rock Gold, and requires the same frequent application. Maybe I'll switch to Gold, since it looks a little less expensive.
Oldbie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kzy090

by kzy090

I have used the Ceramicspeed UFO chain in the past, and was great.
But the squirt lube is much more affordable with a marginal difference.
Wax doesn't catch debris, so that helps, too.

eurperg

by eurperg

^ There is now a more affordable alternative to CeramicSpeed UFO chain: Rex Race Day Spray. But compared to UFO it also works in rain and a single can gives 2-3 optimisation treatments. And you can use it in MTB’s also and apply it to the cassette. I have heard many MTB racers really praise the product...

uraqt

by uraqt

I think https://smoovebikelube.com/ is a little better than SQUIRT, not enough to run out and buy but when you run out of SQUIRT ..... Looks like it's almost impossible to get Rex in the USA?

C

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I like the MorganBlue products..except half the stuff you cant get in North America anymore.. i don't think theres a distributor over here anymore....

eurperg

by eurperg

uraqt wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:09 pm
..... Looks like it's almost impossible to get Rex in the USA?
I'm not sure about that, but for example r2-bike ships Rex worldwide. I have used Race Day Spray, and it keeps the drivetrain amazingly clean in horrible conditions, check out these pics I took after a ride:

rasmusic

by rasmusic

uraqt wrote:
I think https://smoovebikelube.com/ is a little better than SQUIRT, not enough to run out and buy but when you run out of SQUIRT ..... Looks like it's almost impossible to get Rex in the USA?
Agreed. The biggest difference is that it lasts longer.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Well that Race Day Spray looks worth a go - love a clean chain.

... but then again, looking at R2's site, 77.5 Euro is a little steep for 56g :unbelievable:

silvalis

by silvalis

Anyone used Ride Mechanic Bike Mix before? or Bike Milk?
https://ridemechanic.com.au/index.php/products/bike-mix

Having a go at bike mix. Degreaser component seems a lot harsher than RnR Gold. Not really sure about it yet.
Chasse patate

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

rasmusic wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:48 pm
uraqt wrote:
Agreed. The biggest difference is that it lasts longer.
Lasts a bit longer, less viscous when applied, gummier when dry. The gummy bits build up a little more on the drivetrain and get a little blacker. I think Squirt is easier to keep clean if you don't mind lubing nearly twice as often. I think Molten Speed Wax (or homebrew) is even easier if you don't mind dipping 4-5 chains at a time every couple of months.

eurperg

by eurperg

Gearjunkie wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:32 am
... but then again, looking at R2's site, 77.5 Euro is a little steep for 56g :unbelievable:
Rex RDS is expensive, but still a lot cheaper when you compare it to UFO chain which is 139€ for one time use only. For 77,50 you get three optimisations and you can use your favorite chain, without even removing it from the bike. You have to use RDS together with Rex Domestique chain lube. It does the lubing and RDS is applied on top to protect the lube from getting contaminated, and to reduce friction even more.

UFO drip is not comparable to Race Day Spray, because it is not a coating but just a hard dry wax that leaves the chain quite noisy.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I’ve used the lot and currently been running MSW for 6 months. It’s the best out the bunch but f-me it’s effort!

UFO drip was crap, hard to get out the bottle, silly expensive and very hard to clean off.

RnR Gold is the best wet lube I’ve used.

Squirt or RnR Extreme is probably going to be my upcoming winter choice on my commuter / training bike.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Squirt will not work when the temperatures are below 0deg C. It will crumble off.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Nor is Squirt a very good lube in wet conditions. It is very water soluble.

My assumption is that since UFO Drip is also quite water soluble and should clean off with just a few wipes from a rag soaked in warm/hot water. Is this not the case?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Eleven21

by Eleven21

ryanw wrote:
RnR Gold is the best wet lube I’ve used.

Squirt or RnR Extreme is probably going to be my upcoming winter choice on my commuter / training bike.
I’ve tried many different lubes over the years and I totally agree the rock and roll products are my favourite. I use the Gold during dry months and like you, switch to the Extreme lube for wet winter months.