Time Skylon? vs 2016 Madone vs S-Works Tarmac vs F8 vs ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mtnbikerva1

by mtnbikerva1

I am looking to buy a new bike and not finding any info on the Time SKYLON.
I have a all 6/4 Ti Lynskey Litespeed Vortex. So the new bike must be better than the Vortex. I am not interested in a 1 dimensional bike.
MUST have/be:
smooth not a jackhammer ride.
Light
sprint well
climb well
descend well
corner well
good on none smooth roads
ok in the rain
some aero to it
a good warranty and company backing it.
A great all around bike!
I rode the 2015 F8 with the Cervelo R5 and did not like the R5=harsh.
F8 seemed nice in all aspects, and is a THREADED BB! Not the press fit ****e.
What have you all experienced?
Thank you!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Your "ok in the rain" is less about the frame and more about the wheels and brakes (specifically rims/brake pads or discs/rotors/pads)

What, to you, is a good warranty?
Do you have budget restraints?
Do you want to build a WW bike, or just a regular ol' bike?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HillRPete

by HillRPete

mtnbikerva1 wrote:climb well

Sorry for going off on a tangent. I aways read comments about how well a bike climbs. What makes a bike climb well other than low weight and fitting rider position? Maybe a little stiffness in the BB, but probably not as significant as for sprinting. This is a serious question.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You can probably check Look 795 to?

That is if you're OK with bikes heavily integrated?
You have Trek Madone 9 listed, so i guess Look 795 is OK?

Both Look and Time is told to have very good ride feel.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Ravnsnaes

by Ravnsnaes

The Pinarello F8 only has a 2 year warranty. Unacceptable considering the price.

mimason

by mimason

I personally own an F8 and its 3 years not 2 if you register online. Most likely a non issue as problems manifest in the first year or two but agree that it should be 5 years or lifetime. I typically ride a bike 5 years then get the itch.

OP, decide from a bike you can test ride. As you have already demoed an F8 and R5(which is not a harsh bike) you just need to love the bike you throw your leg over. Of the 4 '16 bikes you've mentioned I've only ridden the F8 but it does meet all your criteria.

Grill

by Grill

mimason wrote:I personally own an F8 and its 3 years not 2 if you register online. Most likely a non issue as problems manifest in the first year or two but agree that it should be 5 years or lifetime. I typically ride a bike 5 years then get the itch.

OP, decide from a bike you can test ride. As you have already demoed an F8 and R5(which is not a harsh bike) you just need to love the bike you throw your leg over. Of the 4 '16 bikes you've mentioned I've only ridden the F8 but it does meet all your criteria.

How do you test the climbing and descending in Florida? :P

djconnel

by djconnel

R5 was harsh? Seems there's a lot of variables at play on a spot test like tire pressure to start but also position. But maybe try the new cannondale Evo. That's #1 on my list to compare to my 2008 Fuji SL1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

R5 stock wheels suck massively. Probably a factor in the ride

mtnbikerva1

by mtnbikerva1

I put my hand built wheels on both the R5 and the F8 so that I was doing a fair comparison of both frames.
The R5 seemed to transmit more vs the f8.
I found fields and none smooth roads to ride on along with smooth. I only road the R5 for 5 or 10 min. The f8 I road for 45 min or so.
I am also curious what happens when something impacts the middle of the top tube or mid down tube, on bikes. Crash replacement? Cost to the owner? Shops are not willing to give specifics.
What if the bike falls over against the corner of the brick wall. What if I crash the bike into something Like a curb, post,etc.?

Grill

by Grill

Warranty only covers manufacturer defects. A bike taking an impact from a fall or something falling on it is your responsibility, not the manufacturers. Of course, if you can afford one of these bikes then you can afford to have it insured.

lrdunc

by lrdunc

Grill wrote:Of course, if you can afford one of these bikes then you can afford to have it insured.

How is this typically done, out of curiosity?

This was the first thing to come up in my Google search:

https://velosurance.com/

Are there many options out there?

Grill

by Grill

Not certain what it's like in the US, but I'm sure your insurance broker can put together a policy for you in the absence of dedicated bike insurance (that's what I do as my bike are too expensive for speciality bike insurance).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Grill wrote:
mimason wrote:I personally own an F8 and its 3 years not 2 if you register online. Most likely a non issue as problems manifest in the first year or two but agree that it should be 5 years or lifetime. I typically ride a bike 5 years then get the itch.

How do you test the climbing and descending in Florida? :P

LOL is right. You know riding in the wind is the same as climbing. Andrew Talansky is from Miami btw.

I actually travel to Georgia for the hard climbs and bring the bike on vacations or rent one.