2016 Fuji SL

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
rpowell
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:47 am

by rpowell

pdlpsher1 wrote:The handle bar is turned way up. The headtube is obviously too short. A larger frame with the handlebar with less reach will provide optimum handling. Going for a too small frame to save weight is the current fad and it compromises safety with such a long steer tube above the headset.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


enduro bike style? super short but slammed stem? that seems like a terrible compromise. dont agree that safety is compromised even if stress is marginally higher with spacer stack. its not a load direction of great importance ffrom a beam loading perspective. fore aft and lateral stresses are minimal with that stack. vertical stresses dominate and that is almost unafeccted by stack. stem length would generate far higher loads.

gravity
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

by gravity

pdlpsher1 wrote:I can't help but notice the frame which is too small.



Says someone who used to ask about bike fit on the internet. Yeah your Fuji bike looks big on you and you dont even ride in the drops. And now you're schooling ppl on bike fit? Right.....

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=140101&start=15

by Weenie


blinque
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:07 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

by blinque

I'm 180cm tall. Which matches the recommended size 54 on the Fuji website. I did not buy a smaller frame to save weight. I'm not overly bothered with the ~100gm savings on a smaller frame (especially since I've put on a fair bit of weight myself over the last few months - was off the saddle!). I haven't made adjustments to the fit yet - the 90mm stem was the only 1 1/8" one I had in my storage (previous bike was a Canyon which uses 1 1/4") so I used that temporarily before doing my bike fit (its in 2 weeks' time). Will get the Zipp SL Speed stem with exact measurements after the bike fitter's recommendations. Also, picture was taken right after the build - hadn't even ridden it yet. After I took a spin back home I removed 1 of the spacers.

Also, would the tilted handlebar be because I took the picture while seated on the floor, hence the handlebar doesn't look "horizontal"?

Would be nice if you knew me / checked with me before making assumptions purely based on a photo

LeeCH
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:57 am

by LeeCH

I think that frame is a little good to my riding style...

Hamfist
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

by Hamfist

Promised pics of mine some time ago. Got it built up about 4 months ago with Boyd wheels and DA (and stages power). Not sure on the weight but it's freaking light...figure under 15 lbs (that's like 8,000,000,000 grams for all of you other people). Still trying to figure out where the stem will go but thinking that I'll stay with one 5mm spacer under the stem. Needs a lighter saddle. Changes for next year will be a 9150 di2 kit.

If anyone is curious about the wheels just go buy some. I'm 189cm and 78kgs; with a 28 hole rear and the crap roads we have theyre perfectly true. Just great wheels and the hubs are tops.

Happy 4th!!

ImageImageImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dereksmalls
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:20 pm
Location: New Zealand

by dereksmalls

The gold decals look way better than the previous years green decals

Wormiez
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:46 am

by Wormiez

blinque wrote:Build was finally completed earlier today!

2017 Fuji SL Elite Size 54 + Fork
Zipp SL-70 Aero
SRAM Red eTap Front Derailleur
SRAM Red eTap Rear Derailleur with Ceramic Speed OPSW
Quarq SRAM Red DZero Power Meter
SRAM 52/36 Chainrings
SRAM Red eTap Shifters & Brake Levers
11-32 SRAM XG-1190 Cassette
Zipp Service Course Bar Tape
Zipp Service Course SL (100mm) Stem
Zipp 202 Firecrest Clincher Wheels
Vittoria Corsa G+ Clincher Tyres
Ceramic Speed PF30 GXP BB
SRAM Red Brake Calipers
Fizik Antares R1 Saddle with Carbon Rails
Zipp SL Speed Seatpost (20mm setback)
Jagwire Road Elite Link Brake Kit/Cables
Zipp Alumina Bottle Cages
FSA 1 1/8" - 1 1/2" Expander & Headset
Shimano Dura-Ace PD9000 Pedals
Swisstop Yellow Carbon Brake Pads

Total weight 6.7kg / 14.77 pounds (honestly expected it to be lower...maybe I need lighter wheels :P)


Beautiful bike!

Question on your Ceramic Speed OPSW, how is the experience so far? Did you add additional links or kept your previous chain on?

I am asking this because I recently added the Ceramic Speed OPSW onto Etap and my builder recommended on keeping the old chain length on.

Hamfist
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

by Hamfist

dereksmalls wrote:The gold decals look way better than the previous years green decals



Yeah, I agree. I was unsure what it would look like but was pleasantly surprised with the gold.

ntb1001
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:38 pm

by ntb1001

really love Fuji bikes. and they are usually a great bargain compared to other brands.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Thenuge
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:37 pm

by Thenuge

Hamfist wrote:Promised pics of mine some time ago. Got it built up about 4 months ago with Boyd wheels and DA (and stages power). Not sure on the weight but it's freaking light...figure under 15 lbs (that's like 8,000,000,000 grams for all of you other people). Still trying to figure out where the stem will go but thinking that I'll stay with one 5mm spacer under the stem. Needs a lighter saddle. Changes for next year will be a 9150 di2 kit.

If anyone is curious about the wheels just go buy some. I'm 189cm and 78kgs; with a 28 hole rear and the crap roads we have theyre perfectly true. Just great wheels and the hubs are tops.

Happy 4th!!

ImageImageImageImage


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


What size frame and is it a good fit?

Thenuge
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:37 pm

by Thenuge

I've priced out a sort of budget SL build and I think this could be a good bike.

Fuji SL 1.1 frame
SRAM Force groupset
Zipp SL70 aero bars
Zipp service course sl stem
Zipp SL speed seatpost
Fizik Antares R1
Shimano C24 wheels
Vittoria Latex tubes
GP4000SII tires
Shimano Dura Ace 9100 pedals

It'd be decently under $5k. After a good headset, grip tape and small things it'd be right around $5k I guess.

Hamfist
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

by Hamfist

Thenuge wrote:
Hamfist wrote:Promised pics of mine some time ago. Got it built up about 4 months ago with Boyd wheels and DA (and stages power). Not sure on the weight but it's freaking light...figure under 15 lbs (that's like 8,000,000,000 grams for all of you other people). Still trying to figure out where the stem will go but thinking that I'll stay with one 5mm spacer under the stem. Needs a lighter saddle. Changes for next year will be a 9150 di2 kit.

If anyone is curious about the wheels just go buy some. I'm 189cm and 78kgs; with a 28 hole rear and the crap roads we have theyre perfectly true. Just great wheels and the hubs are tops.

Happy 4th!!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


What size frame and is it a good fit?


It's a 58...fits really well. Just moved over to 9150 Di2 and a Pro Vibe alloy stem and Pro carbon aero handlebar. The stem is 4 degrees lower than the 3T and the bars 2 cm narrower than what I previously had. The position is a bit lower but still very comfortable.

User avatar
pdlpsher1
Posts: 2419
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm
Location: CO

by pdlpsher1

Hamfist,

I went to my local Performance shop and they don't have any SL's on display. Could you tell me the maximum tire width you can actually fit on the bike (actual tire width, not marked tire width)? Usually bike manufacturers are conservative in their spec. and I was hoping to see the bike in person, but no dice. And please tell me the item (i.e. seatstays) that is the limiting factor. Thank you.

Hamfist
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:04 pm
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

by Hamfist

pdlpsher1 wrote:Hamfist,

I went to my local Performance shop and they don't have any SL's on display. Could you tell me the maximum tire width you can actually fit on the bike (actual tire width, not marked tire width)? Usually bike manufacturers are conservative in their spec. and I was hoping to see the bike in person, but no dice. And please tell me the item (i.e. seatstays) that is the limiting factor. Thank you.


I'll look when I get home. I have Schwalbe Pro 1 tubeless 25c on there right now and there is room to spare.

by Weenie


bremerradkurier
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:18 pm

by bremerradkurier

Thenuge wrote:I've priced out a sort of budget SL build and I think this could be a good bike.

Fuji SL 1.1 frame
SRAM Force groupset
Zipp SL70 aero bars
Zipp service course sl stem
Zipp SL speed seatpost
Fizik Antares R1
Shimano C24 wheels
Vittoria Latex tubes
GP4000SII tires
Shimano Dura Ace 9100 pedals

It'd be decently under $5k. After a good headset, grip tape and small things it'd be right around $5k I guess.


Performance is showing a few different sizes in stock for $4600 with full Dura Ace and Carbon wheels.

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1210665_-1_400315__400315

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post