2016 Fuji SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thenuge

by Thenuge

bremerradkurier wrote:
Thenuge wrote:I've priced out a sort of budget SL build and I think this could be a good bike.

Fuji SL 1.1 frame
SRAM Force groupset
Zipp SL70 aero bars
Zipp service course sl stem
Zipp SL speed seatpost
Fizik Antares R1
Shimano C24 wheels
Vittoria Latex tubes
GP4000SII tires
Shimano Dura Ace 9100 pedals

It'd be decently under $5k. After a good headset, grip tape and small things it'd be right around $5k I guess.

Performance is showing a few different sizes in stock for $4600 with full Dura Ace and Carbon wheels.

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10052_10551_1210665_-1_400315__400315

Well damn, they have 1 left in my size. Looks like the old Dura Ace though but guess it doesn't matter much.

Hamfist

by Hamfist

That is a killer deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Hamfist wrote:That is a killer deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially with the triple rewards point totalling around $1300

eeney

by eeney

I just bought an SL 1.5 for US$3,000 from a local bike shop here in Sydney Australia. Obviously I'm overjoyed with the price, but I'm blown away by the bike, everything is just incredibly responsive and sharp. The handling, power transfer, and them way it maintains speed is just addictive.

I've come from 10 years on generic carbon frame/ultegra road bikes, the SL is a massive awakening. I was slightly expecting a jittery ride on such a stiff, light bike, but it's not, it's compliant, and comfortable. Yesterday I did a 5 hour ride in absolute comfort. Make no mistake, this is a focused race bike, but with enough compliance to make longer rides enjoyable.

On top of the above, the bike is classy looking but fairly inconspicuous.

Allen254

by Allen254

any one put tan tires on their black with gold decal fuji sl ??

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

How does the SL handle a century ride? Am I going to get punished? I don't do many 60+ mi rides, but when I do I want to have a decent ride. Currently riding a 2000 Klein Quantum Pro. Otherwise, my primary objective is to get into a new bike that's good on up and down hills, sprints well,.compliant and comfortable. Fast club rides on some not so good roads are where I do most of my riding.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lewn777

by Lewn777

jzinckgra wrote:How does the SL handle a century ride? Am I going to get punished? I don't do many 60+ mi rides, but when I do I want to have a decent ride. Currently riding a 2000 Klein Quantum Pro. Otherwise, my primary objective is to get into a new bike that's good on up and down hills, sprints well,.compliant and comfortable. Fast club rides on some not so good roads are where I do most of my riding.

I've got a 2016 Fuji SL 3.3 which is a low end frame, and my record is 430 kms over 15 hours.
That's a mix of good roads and some rough ones. The bike is smooth and compliant, for me at least. You can fit 25mm tires and most 28mm should fit too.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Lewn777 wrote:
jzinckgra wrote:How does the SL handle a century ride? Am I going to get punished? I don't do many 60+ mi rides, but when I do I want to have a decent ride. Currently riding a 2000 Klein Quantum Pro. Otherwise, my primary objective is to get into a new bike that's good on up and down hills, sprints well,.compliant and comfortable. Fast club rides on some not so good roads are where I do most of my riding.

I've got a 2016 Fuji SL 3.3 which is a low end frame, and my record is 430 kms over 15 hours.
That's a mix of good roads and some rough ones. The bike is smooth and compliant, for me at least. You can fit 25mm tires and most 28mm should fit too.
Thanks. I'm just trying not to make a mistake of buying another race bike and having it only be good for climbing and sprints. I would like to have confidence that this could be an all around bike. My Klein has served me well and I will keep it, but not sure I'll notice a huge improvement in ride quality with the Fuji.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Is there any truth in a report I read about the SL being flexy in the front on sprints and twitchy on descents?

I'm only 70kg so don't imagine I would flex the frame much. On descents though, I want confidence at 40mph.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

jzinckgra wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:

Thanks. I'm just trying not to make a mistake of buying another race bike and having it only be good for climbing and sprints. I would like to have confidence that this could be an all around bike. My Klein has served me well and I will keep it, but not sure I'll notice a huge improvement in ride quality with the Fuji.

jzinckgra wrote:Is there any truth in a report I read about the SL being flexy in the front on sprints and twitchy on descents?

I'm only 70kg so don't imagine I would flex the frame much. On descents though, I want confidence at 40mph.

I honestly haven't ridden that many CF bikes (and there's no testing or demoing available here) but compared with the other bikes I own and have ridden there may be some truth to the bike being a tad flexy front and rear but not around the BB, I'm 78kg-83kg depending on season, and it hasn't been much of an issue for me and less for you I'd imagine being lighter. No truth to the bike being twitchy on descents, and I run 100mm stem. I'd certainly think about going for a smaller than usual frame with this bike.

I would say bike is a great climber, good descender and good long distance. Problem for me is I've got years MTBing and road motorcycling and road cycle descending at pace in the dry I find super easy with bags of confidence on anything except a compete pig. I would sum it up as an all-round bike with good climbing characteristics. I'd love to have years on Giant TCRs, Trek Emonda, Specialized, Cannondales etc to give you an comparative objective opinion, but alas I don't have one. :noidea:

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

Lewn777 wrote:
jzinckgra wrote:
Lewn777 wrote:

jzinckgra wrote:Is there any truth in a report I read about the SL being flexy in the front on sprints and twitchy on descents?

I honestly haven't ridden that many CF bikes (and there's no testing or demoing available here) but compared with the other bikes I own and have ridden there may be some truth to the bike being a tad flexy front and rear but not around the BB, I'm 78kg-83kg depending on season, and it hasn't been much of an issue for me and less for you I'd imagine being lighter. No truth to the bike being twitchy on descents, and I run 100mm stem. I'd certainly think about going for a smaller than usual frame with this bike.

I would say bike is a great climber, good descender and good long distance. Problem for me is I've got years MTBing and road motorcycling and road cycle descending at pace in the dry I find super easy with bags of confidence on anything except a compete pig. I would sum it up as an all-round bike with good climbing characteristics. I'd love to have years on Giant TCRs, Trek Emonda, Specialized, Cannondales etc to give you an comparative objective opinion, but alas I don't have one. :noidea:
Thanks, this is useful. I'm interested in a 2016 or 17 leftover and the places that have them can't ship the frame. They claim Fuji doesn't allow it. Really?

rrheault

by rrheault

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:44 pm
Hamfist,

I went to my local Performance shop and they don't have any SL's on display. Could you tell me the maximum tire width you can actually fit on the bike (actual tire width, not marked tire width)? Usually bike manufacturers are conservative in their spec. and I was hoping to see the bike in person, but no dice. And please tell me the item (i.e. seatstays) that is the limiting factor. Thank you.
I have a 2017 SL One.1 disc frame currently mounted with Schwalbe Pro 1 TL 28c, measuring 30mm with the caliper when inflated @ 100 psi. There's a bit more room and I think up to 33mm (measured, not advertised) could fit. With the disc frame, the chainstays would be the limiting factor.

gipogipo

by gipogipo

I'm digging this old thread (and another older ...) since i got my new - used - sl1.1 frame. I'm going for a campy record mechanical mount, but unsure about two things:
1) should i leave the full liner inside the frame or only segments around the bb area, to prevent the front derailleur cable rubbing against the frame?
2) how can i dismount the plastic plate underneath the bb?
Help needed! Thanks!

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

1. I habe completely removed the liners. I only use them to thread the cables through the frame and then remove them.

2. It clips in. You can press one side and then the tab gets compressed and the cover comes off...

gipogipo

by gipogipo

Thanks,
so i should be able to detach the plastic plate by a hand "compression", like a pinch, from left to right (from drive side to non-drive side) ? Mine seems to be stuck, maybe it's just some dirt.
I was planning to dismount it to clean the bb area and to route the cables.
Any experience of Campagnolo pf30 cups with this frame? Better to stay away from campy and get a praxis conversion bb?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com