chinese carbon handlebars: YES/NO ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

chris47 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:45 pm
Any thoughts on these bars?
36cm at the hoods and flares out to 38 at the drops.
they look pretty good apart from the funny shaping on the tops..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ultra-l ... autifyAB=0
take a look at these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/T800-Ca ... 2e0eVFFc2f

36cc at the hoods, 38cc in the drops..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chris47

by chris47

Thanks for the link vejnemojnen,
The shaping looks better but i cant see any mention of flare or 36cm at the hoods. Seem like they are 38cm all the way down.
May be by mistake, would be happy to be wrong as they look pretty good

betwo

by betwo

I have had several friends who have mounted replicas of time, ergonova without problem, but in my case I was left with a deda supernatural of 240 gr

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

chris47 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:51 pm
Thanks for the link vejnemojnen,
The shaping looks better but i cant see any mention of flare or 36cm at the hoods. Seem like they are 38cm all the way down.
May be by mistake, would be happy to be wrong as they look pretty good
since they are fsa-knockoffs/lookalikes, I assumed, that the 38cc is in fact 36 at the hoods, 38 in the drops. All fsa bars are roughly 2cm smaller on the hoods, than the manufacturer's officially claimed width. Ie.: 42cm fsa bars are actually 40 at top, 42 down. :)

I am not 100% certain, but it's a reasonable assumption, probably is the case.

beston

by beston

betwo wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:33 am
I have had several friends who have mounted replicas of time, ergonova without problem, but in my case I was left with a deda supernatural of 240 gr
just to add my anecdotes... I've used a variety of chinese bars over the years. About 3-4 years ago my buddies and I (three of us) got the aliexpress aerofly handlebars (from greatkeenbike). Last season, I took them off my road bike and put them on my CX. Clearly they couldn't take the increased stress and they cracked at the end of the season going over drop (only about 6 inches). I figured that the integrity of the bars had been compromised after a few falls during the CX season and were never intended to be used off-road anyway. ...Thank god no one was around me and I was on grass. I now use some reasonably light bontrager alloy bars.

Unfortunately, my two buddies also had both had their bars fail on them this year and they only used them on the road:(.

I've bought more than my fair share of carbon goods from Aliexpress over the years and I still use carbon wheelsets, frames, and integrated carbon bars from aliexpress on my road bike. ...But I've become a lot more selective about who I buy from.
Attachments
Aerofly fail.jpeg
aerofly fail 2.jpeg

betwo

by betwo

Total, a friend rides for a professional team in my country and on his bike to put on a Chinese aero, he got tired of it and sold it after a year without any issue

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

I guess there's a big difference between replica (fake) and just normale handlebars from China (Hong Fu)...
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Ritsuke wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:20 am
I guess there's a big difference between replica (fake) and just normale handlebars from China (Hong Fu)...
That was my thinking. My Hong Fu bar seems nice but I've only had it a few months so too short to really know.

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

GlacialPace wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:05 am

That was my thinking. My Hong Fu bar seems nice but I've only had it a few months so too short to really know.
Agreed. I had a set of early HF bars and they were rock solid. I've ordered frames from Hong Fu, Miracle and Workswell (may do a build from Velobuild next) and wheels from Hong Fu, Deng Fu and Carbon Cycle (very good eBay seller)... ALL are solid products. Despite not being a 'brand' those types of outfits have established a 'brand' or at least a reputation for good quality relative to their Chinese competition. The two gravel/cross frames I have from Miracle arrived incredibly well-packaged, incluidng cloth-padded, velcro-sealed frame bags.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

YES

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Yeah, yeah yeah. Should've listened to the advice of others anmd used the "common sense" that I've often sprouted on about .... :roll: :oops:

On the way home from yesterdays ride, go over a slight wallow in the road (where they had trenched for a cable/pipe) that I'd been over many many times before and "CRACK". :shock: :shock:

Stop and look and find this ...

It made for a long, nervous and slow descent home :x

Just over 100km and toast. Counting my lucky stars that they didn't actually break.

Learned a valuable lesson (and yes, I know/read of some failures of reputable products, but many less than the 'copies'), so my original 3T Ergonova pro bars going back on.

:|

Will be contacting the seller and see what he has to say. Standby to standby.

Orbital

by Orbital

Which bars were they?

Discodan

by Discodan

MichaelB wrote:I got the EC90 copy bars (and a stem and seatpost) from Toseek the other week, and they look fine.

Haven't had a chance to install them at this stage.
these

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seedster

by Seedster

I would never ride counterfeit bike parts. just doesn't seem worth the risk doing business with companies who knowingly rip off another brand. If they are willing to violate trademarks, cant imagine what other shortcuts they deem acceptable in production. Counterfeit Rx medicines, airbags, foods kill people. not risking my life for a recreation,

Dokas

by Dokas

I told my friend not to use it, but my friend used it. And the handlebars were broken.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com