chinese carbon handlebars: YES/NO ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

upside wrote:I bought a 3T AeroNova and it cracked right at the stem. I was very fortunate it wasn't going down hill at 50+ MPH. Yes, I always yuise a torgue wrench. Last chinese shit I will ever buy.
Were these genuine 3T or fakes?
What stem were you using?
Did you bring the clamp bolts up to torque gradually and in order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Is it possible to simply remove logos-graphics from those bars, which unfortunately have something printed onto them? Ie.: "EC-90" or "Dodici"..

I'd get a set of bars, but the particular one I'd buy has graphics unfortunately.. :) I have free access to acetone, so that's not an issue..

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

qwe23ty wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:03 am
Did you buy fake?
Nope, bc I have not bought anything yet. It'd be an FSA-counterfeit, albeit with EC90 graphics.. :) It would be plain cheaper than getting a version without printing.. :)

So, before ordering anything, I want to make sure that those graphics are removable.

Marin

by Marin

You can easily sand them off.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

thats not an option. I don't want sanding.

Just selective removal of painted logos. It's very easy from alloy components. I guess, the coat on the bar is not overlying the decals.. Or I hope so. :)

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Yes, just buy from a seller with lots of good feedback.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

thanks for the response. :welcome:

Ringo

by Ringo

To original post: no
Only saddles
XXTi
C60

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I had back to back cracks at the stem area of my Vision Metron 5D integrated bars. Both bars had under 100 miles on them. And no, I don't weight 400 LBS. My weight fluctuates between 158-165 lbs. Can a Chinese bar be any worse?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

LouisN

by LouisN

J00P wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:50 pm
Hello,
on my cyclocross bike I have a heavy (~350gram) Cannondale C3 handlebar.
Are there any decent chinese carbon handlebars, or is use of these handlebars considered to be too risky? Which supplier would you recommend?

(since there are many happy users of chinese frames on this site, I hope there is some experience with handlebars as well)

Thanks!
CX is the terrain to go with "experimental" stuff IMHO, as the speed is not too high, and terrain is mostly soft ;) .
The first things I boought from China were (randomly chosen) unknown manufacturer knockoff bottle cages and seatppost. All didn't last one ride.
Now I'm a happy user of DengFu CX frameset and seatposts, and Flybike Sports rims. They all took lots of beating and are very reliable.
EDIT: I checked a few of the handlebar offerings, and most of them are 245g. AT this weight, you might as well go for a Ritchey WCS Curve alloy handlebar and get peace of mind.

Louis :)

F45

by F45

My aeronova knockoffs are still going strong. I put $14 carbon bars on my mountain bike six months ago and it's still going strong too.

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

I have several thousand miles on knockoff aeronova bars and they're great so far. They weren't light (I didn't record the weight, but it wasn't impressive), but I like the shape, especially for riding with my forarms on the tops in a TT-esque position.

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

There is not much information out there on Hylix Handlebars (from eBay) so I figured I would post a PSA so no one tries to ride these things and ends up seriously injured. I picked up a pair of the Ergonova style bars awhile back as an experiment. Claimed weight was 180g... the 40cm version came in at 171g. Weight is obviously good... finish is also very good... so at face value they look like a solid bar. The scary part is the flex is HUGE compared with brand name bars. Grabbing the drops I can twist the bars 1-2cm on both sides. Compared with other carbon and aluminum brand name bars I have, these flex the most probably by a factor of 10x (or more) the amount of deflection... Riding these would be a huge risk from a control and potential for breaking standpoint.

Other bars (all real, no knock-offs) I use on bikes for context - compared side-by-side with the Hylix...
Carbon: 3T ErgoSum Team (201g), Zipp Contour SL SS (180g), FSA K-Force Nano (185g), 3T ErgoNova Team (198g)
Aluminum: 3T Ergosum Pro, Ritchey WCS Curve, Ritchey WCS Evo Curve, Ritchey WCS Curve, Ritchey WCS Logic, Ritchey WCS Evo Max, FSA Wing Pro Compact, Giant Contact

I also own a Hylix seatpost (used for a year so-far... no issues) and two Hylix road forks (used multiple years on bad weather bikes... not light, but quite stiff)... so this isn't to say that all of the stuff is junk, but I won't risk the handlebars.

chris47

by chris47

Any thoughts on these bars?
36cm at the hoods and flares out to 38 at the drops.
they look pretty good apart from the funny shaping on the tops..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ultra-l ... autifyAB=0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

Based on my experience with the Hylix, I'd be reluctant to buy anything that is being dressed up to look like something it isn't. For $100 or less on eBay it is easy to find weight weenie bars from legit mainstream manufacturers... to save $50 USD I don't think it is worth the risk.

I'd sooner trust unbranded bars from frame and wheel sellers like Hong Fu, Deng Fu, Velobuild, Workswell, any of the other popular carbon wheel sellers, etc.