New Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless Tires

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
zefs

by zefs

Want to use these tires on Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST and was wondering about max psi. Mavic states 87psi max for 28mm tubeless tires and the 25c Schwalbes will measure 27mm on 17c wheels if not mistaken? Does that mean I can use more air pressure or should I get the 23c version?

zmjones

by zmjones

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:53 pm
OK, so now that we've all ragged about the guy who rode tubeless without sealant, can anyone help me with my original inquiry about if the Pro Ones run with sealant are acceptable as a winter tire in the Pacific Northwest. Do they cut up like Vittoria or survive a little better like Conti? Anybody done a full season on them?
i live in seattle and run the pro one in 25mm on my giant tcr, and various flavors of the g-one (35mm speed for winter, 38mm for gravel, 30mm for long distance) on my jamis renegade. i haven't had a single flat (or even a puncture) in the last 5000 miles.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

zmjones wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:42 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
OK, so now that we've all ragged about the guy who rode tubeless without sealant, can anyone help me with my original inquiry about if the Pro Ones run with sealant are acceptable as a winter tire in the Pacific Northwest. Do they cut up like Vittoria or survive a little better like Conti? Anybody done a full season on them?
i live in seattle and run the pro one in 25mm on my giant tcr, and various flavors of the g-one (35mm speed for winter, 38mm for gravel, 30mm for long distance) on my jamis renegade. i haven't had a single flat (or even a puncture) in the last 5000 miles.
After a full winter on the 28 mm Pro One's I can answer my own question. These things cut up pretty badly. I had to pull them off and do some internal repairs with gorilla tape and super glue (the tape will not stick to the inner surface of these tires on its own). Beyond the cuts, small specs of glass, stone, flint, etc. would constantly imbed themselves in the rubber. Perhaps I could have left them, but to be on the safe side I would have regular sessions of picking the debris out of the tread with the point of a utility knife. As a point of comparison GP 4000's suffer probably less then half of the cuts and imbedded debris, so I would say my winter conditions are challenging though not the worst.

Non of this is surprising given how soft and tacky the rubber feels. I have hope that these tires with some age might "dry out" and harden a bit, and be somewhat less prone to cuts and imbedded debris.

I wonder if my size has something to do with the lack of durability. 80 kg is not that big but I can't help but notice that my tiny wife never damages her tires no matter how fragile they are. I also have to run at 85 psi (which might explain why the worm repairs of the bigger cuts would not hold and required an internal solution). Any softer than 85 psi, and the tire deforms a bit too much in hard cornering, and I lose that feeling of being on rails which is not confidence inspiring.

On the plus side these are phenomenally fast feeling tires.

Is the G-One the same rubber compound? Considered switching to them but if the rubber is the same I assume it won't make much difference.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Most of my road tires get cut up, but they don’t usually puncture. It’s the “MicroSkin” that makes Schwalbe tires more puncture prone. It’s really not a proper inner butyl layer.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Mr.Gib wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:49 pm
zmjones wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:42 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
After a full winter on the 28 mm Pro One's I can answer my own question. These things cut up pretty badly. I had to pull them off and do some internal repairs with gorilla tape and super glue (the tape will not stick to the inner surface of these tires on its own). Beyond the cuts, small specs of glass, stone, flint, etc. would constantly imbed themselves in the rubber. Perhaps I could have left them, but to be on the safe side I would have regular sessions of picking the debris out of the tread with the point of a utility knife. As a point of comparison GP 4000's suffer probably less then half of the cuts and imbedded debris, so I would say my winter conditions are challenging though not the worst.

Non of this is surprising given how soft and tacky the rubber feels. I have hope that these tires with some age might "dry out" and harden a bit, and be somewhat less prone to cuts and imbedded debris.

I wonder if my size has something to do with the lack of durability. 80 kg is not that big but I can't help but notice that my tiny wife never damages her tires no matter how fragile they are. I also have to run at 85 psi (which might explain why the worm repairs of the bigger cuts would not hold and required an internal solution). Any softer than 85 psi, and the tire deforms a bit too much in hard cornering, and I lose that feeling of being on rails which is not confidence inspiring.

On the plus side these are phenomenally fast feeling tires.

Is the G-One the same rubber compound? Considered switching to them but if the rubber is the same I assume it won't make much difference.
I found exactly the same with Schwalbe Pro One, I'm also 80kg. In fact they were far worse for me. Where I live they probably wouldn't even survive as a race day tire, although they are very fast and handle wonderfully. Continental GP4000S2 are doable here if you are lighter and more careful in the summer.

I switched to Panaracer Race A Evo 3 tubeless and Orange sealant have been much happier, the only downside is that they are expensive and the rear is about to be totally worn at 3000km, also they are much smaller in profile and a little in width to their non-tubeless versions.

I have 32mm Schwalbe G-One fast on my CX bike. They are a totally different tire to the Schwalbe Pro One, heavier very robust and much slower. They are a light gravel/road tire and slower than most winter/all season tires like Gatorskins and 4 seasons.

What I need is a reasonably priced, robust, 4 season tubeless tire ideally on a sealed dedicated tubeless rim. I'm thinking Hutchinson something on a Mavic Rim with Sapim spokes and a DT Swiss hub. :D

cassard

by cassard

just adding up. I installed 28mm on my Mavic Allroad Pro UST. They fit very nice ! about 30mm width inflated to 75-80 Psi.

Just adding a thing : if schwalbe says that their new tubeless easy makes the tire intallation easier. WHAT THE HELL !

ms6073

by ms6073

cassard wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:35 pm
Just adding a thing : if schwalbe says that their new tubeless easy makes the tire installation easier. WHAT THE HELL !
We have been using the Pro One tubeless with Nox Composites Falcor 36D and have seen a significant increase over the Vittoria Corsa/Zipp 303 combo we ran before going tubeless, but as others have noted, performance of the tire does have a bit of a trade-off in terms of durability. As for the installation, the design of the rims inner channel will effect the ease with which tires go on the rim, so it is usually necessary to fiddle with the tire bead all the way around the rim in order to get enough 'slack' in the bead while mounting. Once the tire is on the rim, since we use Schwalbe tires on road, cross, and mt bikes, I splurged and got a 1000 ml bottle of Schwalbe's Easy Fit Bicycle Tire Mounting Fluid (aka a big bottle of super slick soapy water) that I apply to the bead with a small brush and use a compressor and the valve usually seats around 65-psi for the Pro Ones.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

cassard

by cassard

I measured and they cam at 30.5mm inflated on my mavic. Can't wait to try them !!

zefs

by zefs

Has anyone successfully installed these tires on Mavic Ksyrium Elite UST wheels? they won't mount even with tire levers.