New Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless Tires

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

25mm Pro Ones mounted on Dura Ace C24 rims.
Mount one bead of tire over the rim by hand, no tools.
Mount second bead over the rim 75% of the way around.
Place bead against rim 100% on one side, and 75% on second side.
Add 1oz of Stans in 25% opening.
Roll remaining 25% of bead over rim by hand.
Inflate with floor pump.
Go ride.
5 minutes max. No tools, no compressed air, no mess.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

DeeHubbs wrote:25mm Pro Ones mounted on Dura Ace C24 rims.
Inflate with floor pump.
Go ride.

Tubeless specific rims are cheating. :thumbup:

2 wraps of strapping tape on the Kinlin 270... one side no tools... insert tube.. needed one go w the Kool Stop Jack to set the 2nd bead. Can't count as a win though.. using the condome inserted. Ride awhile to set the tape well.

Less tape thickness than previous adventures.. and a light coat of Johnson's paste wax on the tape.

gbrown

by gbrown

DeeHubbs wrote:25mm Pro Ones mounted on Dura Ace C24 rims.
Inflate with floor pump.
Go ride.

This is pretty much how it went for me, same tyres on same wheels. Does anyone know if you can get tubeless valves with removable cores that fit the Shimano wheels, it's a pain having to put the sealant in before seating the last bit of the tyre?

Geoff

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

What mileage have you guys seen on a set of these so far? I bought 2 pairs of 25s at once expected to burn through them fairly quickly, but I've just clocked over 2600 miles and the front still has the center strip. Although the rear has started to square. It makes me want to get a set for winter in 28s.

ms6073

by ms6073

kode54 wrote:i've seen some use Gorilla tape. do you have to cut it? or you get it to size?

I used Gorilla tape for a 'ghetto' tubeless setup on my first 29er wheelset. Worked fine in terms of holding air but functionally was a nightmare as the tape leaves a significant amount of adhesive residue, not to mention in time, leaves a nasty mess which in my case, adhered to the tire bead and made for a royal pain trying to fix a flat or changing the tires.

DeeHubbs wrote:Add 1oz of Stans in 25% opening.

I used to add the sealant at the time of install, that is until a bead blew off mid inflation, effectively coating everything in its path (floor, cabinets, me) with a fine misting of latex residue. :beerchug:
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

Miller

by Miller

I have tried Gorilla tape due to some enthusiasm for it on this forum but not impressed. Not convinced it actually held air very well and found also that it leaves the rim covered in glue. Back to yellow tape.

Haven't had a tyre explode sealant all over me, lol, but did recently shake a large bottle of sealant only to discover the lid was loose. Aargh, sealant everywhere.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Ltyarbro42 wrote:What mileage have you guys seen on a set of these so far? I bought 2 pairs of 25s at once expected to burn through them fairly quickly, but I've just clocked over 2600 miles and the front still has the center strip. Although the rear has started to square. It makes me want to get a set for winter in 28s.

My rear was replaced at 2500mi or so. With non-tubeless, I almost never made full use of a tire's tread life, so there is that. My Corsa G+ non-tubeless tires only lasted 1300mi or so on the rear before the tread was thin enough for the casing to get perforated by California roads.

DeeHubbs

by DeeHubbs

grown wrote:This is pretty much how it went for me, same tyres on same wheels. Does anyone know if you can get tubeless valves with removable cores that fit the Shimano wheels, it's a pain having to put the sealant in before seating the last bit of the tyre?
Geoff

Any valves fit, the only trick is to use the shimano specific lock ring. It is designed to fit the shimano wheels.
I think I have a Stans and an American Classic stem in my C24s.

jlok

by jlok

Mine 25mm started to square at the rear after 1500km and got two punctures. Front is still round tho.

Wanted to use something more robust but hey they are all more expensive than Pro One. So be it and stick with it.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

I dont know what some of you are complaining about... I have upwards of 3000km+ on garbage city roads and these are fast, soft and tough, only have had two flats due to potholes. Mine blow up to 28mm on 25mm wide wheels

WinterRider

by WinterRider

waltthizzney wrote:I dont know what some of you are complaining about... I have upwards of 3000km+ on garbage city roads and these are fast, soft and tough, only have had two flats due to potholes. Mine blow up to 28mm on 25mm wide wheels

Everyone's mileage is going to vary.. bank on that. The S1 is getting a lot of airtime here which in the end is more a litany per the learning curve of those of us learning tubeless per road width's. In my case a rim profile not designed w tubeless when drawn up... the Kinlin 200. Aint the tire.. by miles... IMO another excellent product via Schwalbe.

Did 40+ mi on the S1's yesterday.. front is set up tubeless.. the rear my spare 270 wheel with a tubed S1. Agreed they feel soft.. albeit on this trip I think I had tire pressure too high at 60 front 80 rear... me at low 180's for wt. And they DO go down the road well.. faster than my la-la bike setup with 32's measuring 30+ same air psi. Grip is excellent.

My documentation of the adventures via the S1 is essentially poking fun at myself.. goober MODE... not using the real estate tween my ears enough... the enthusiasm to 'get going' over riding good sense. LOL.. buttt I am learning and will pass on said no-ledge when finalized. Might save someone some grief who has no time for such.

TO date:

--tape wrap adding diameter to rim is critical.. too thick means hellish tough sledding getting the beads on. Again.. per rim NOT designed tubeless internal profile.

--light coat of Johnson's paste wax sure helps beads slide... avoiding some oil/penetrant which will only degrade tape application. Bar soap likely do same.

My issue is the valve hole leak.. musta goobered that hole previously. Punched it out slightly.. have Stan's 12mm tape in route for rd 5 with the 200 w my hands now fairly well rested. Time'll tell..

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

WinterRider, what's this S1 you speak of? Are you referring to the old Schwalbe One? Or do you mean the Schwalbe Pro One?

The Pro One was a pretty huge improvement to the original One. Which are you talking about? If the latter, why are you bringing it up in a discussion about the Pro One?

WinterRider

by WinterRider

New Pro One's. That was thread topic. :idea: ----> "25mm Pro Ones mounted on Dura Ace C24 rims

ms6073

by ms6073

TobinHatesYou wrote:My rear was replaced at 2500mi or so.

jlok wrote:Mine 25mm started to square at the rear after 1500km

waltthizzney wrote:I have upwards of 3000km+ on garbage city roads

I know rider weight plays a part in the equation, but curious to know what tire pressures each of you were running. Although my mtb has been tubeless for several years, I am new to road tubeless and the Pro Ones, and less than 500-miles riding on these tires on a 2016 Scott Solace Disc bike. My first ride out I inflated to 90-psi, then the next couple rides it was down to 85-psi, and currently am running at 80-psi, but contemplating going down to 75-psi.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

WinterRider wrote:New Pro One's. That was thread topic. :idea: ----> "25mm Pro Ones mounted on Dura Ace C24 rims

That's exactly my point.

Since this is a thread discussing Pro Ones, referring to them as "S1s" is incoherent, especially when that abbreviation seems to refer to another tire from the same manufacturer.