201X Allez Sprint

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
pyrahna
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:53 pm

by pyrahna

Sock3t wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:22 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:24 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Bearings.

I know a lot of people posted about creaking issues and not liking the BB30 on the tarmac, was wondering if the same for the Allez!

I picked up my Comp yesterday - I got my Reynolds Assaults on it and of course want to start cutting weight. Right now it's 8.1kg (ready to ride, cages, pedals and bolt)....I know the saddle and bars are heavy - any other lower cost suggestions to cut weight?
"Low Cost" and "Cut Weight" are rarely things that go together. What crankset does the Comp come with? I know Spec switched from the Praxis cranks to Shimano on some of them, but I'm not sure of the weight difference. I know personally I wasn't a fan of the Praxis cranks, part of the reason I bought the frameset and built it with my own parts (used an Ultegra 6800 crank). If you want to cut weight, I'd suggest some carbon bars, as you mentioned the saddle. I know there are people on here that have been able to get their Sprints in the sub 7kg range, but not sure exactly what components. If you're patient, you can find some good ebay deals. I found some Zipp SL70 Aero bars for about $120, and a few sets of Ultegra cranks under $100. My 56 is currently about 6.5kg without wheels (with Fly6 and Fly12 cameras and Garmin 1000).
To me low cost is under $500. I saw the Tune saddles and will ask the guy doing my fit to see if they'd work, I know thats literally 300 grams dropped. It has 105 cranks, which cranks are substantially lighter? I also am looking for bars and will follow your lead on that.

I really fell in love with the gloss chameleon colour and the gloss teal. Chameleon in my size was no where to be found, but found a gloss teal not far away so I hopped on it. I know it has tektro brakes - are ultegras any lighter?
Don't skimp on brakes. I have a full etap build and ultegra brakes because they stop better.

I wish EE brakes would fit on the rear, but they don't, so I go with ones that stop.

by Weenie


User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

pyrahna wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:22 pm

To me low cost is under $500. I saw the Tune saddles and will ask the guy doing my fit to see if they'd work, I know thats literally 300 grams dropped. It has 105 cranks, which cranks are substantially lighter? I also am looking for bars and will follow your lead on that.

I really fell in love with the gloss chameleon colour and the gloss teal. Chameleon in my size was no where to be found, but found a gloss teal not far away so I hopped on it. I know it has tektro brakes - are ultegras any lighter?
Don't skimp on brakes. I have a full etap build and ultegra brakes because they stop better.

I wish EE brakes would fit on the rear, but they don't, so I go with ones that stop.
I'd agree on the brakes. I have 6800's on mine and they are rock solid. My undestanding was that the EE brakes would work on sizes 56 or larger, I don't know what size you have, but you might want to dig arround and confirm that if you go that route.

As for the crankset, according to Shimano's specs, you'd probably save about 90g going to 6800 Ultegra, maybe 110-ish going to 8000. Another option if you want to stay with your 24mm BB would be Rotor's 3d cranks. Just cursory look online, you might save 130g or so with a set of 3d cranks and Praxis rings. This is assuming a 52/36 mid-compact, going full compact might save a few more grams. If you're looking to go full weight weenie, stem is another spot to look at.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

pyrahna
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:53 pm

by pyrahna

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm
pyrahna wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:22 pm

To me low cost is under $500. I saw the Tune saddles and will ask the guy doing my fit to see if they'd work, I know thats literally 300 grams dropped. It has 105 cranks, which cranks are substantially lighter? I also am looking for bars and will follow your lead on that.

I really fell in love with the gloss chameleon colour and the gloss teal. Chameleon in my size was no where to be found, but found a gloss teal not far away so I hopped on it. I know it has tektro brakes - are ultegras any lighter?
Don't skimp on brakes. I have a full etap build and ultegra brakes because they stop better.

I wish EE brakes would fit on the rear, but they don't, so I go with ones that stop.
I'd agree on the brakes. I have 6800's on mine and they are rock solid. My undestanding was that the EE brakes would work on sizes 56 or larger, I don't know what size you have, but you might want to dig arround and confirm that if you go that route.

As for the crankset, according to Shimano's specs, you'd probably save about 90g going to 6800 Ultegra, maybe 110-ish going to 8000. Another option if you want to stay with your 24mm BB would be Rotor's 3d cranks. Just cursory look online, you might save 130g or so with a set of 3d cranks and Praxis rings. This is assuming a 52/36 mid-compact, going full compact might save a few more grams. If you're looking to go full weight weenie, stem is another spot to look at.
I have 2 x 52. I haven't tried. I friend of mine rides a 56 and he tried, but it did not work. You are correct that the DM version of EE works on the 56 and larger of the new style tarmac, but because of the aero seat tube I don't think they will work on any size Allez sprint. Someone is perfectly welcome to prove me wrong with a picture, but I would hate for someone to order an EE and it not work.

User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

pyrahna wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:35 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm
pyrahna wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:48 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:22 pm

To me low cost is under $500. I saw the Tune saddles and will ask the guy doing my fit to see if they'd work, I know thats literally 300 grams dropped. It has 105 cranks, which cranks are substantially lighter? I also am looking for bars and will follow your lead on that.

I really fell in love with the gloss chameleon colour and the gloss teal. Chameleon in my size was no where to be found, but found a gloss teal not far away so I hopped on it. I know it has tektro brakes - are ultegras any lighter?
Don't skimp on brakes. I have a full etap build and ultegra brakes because they stop better.

I wish EE brakes would fit on the rear, but they don't, so I go with ones that stop.
I'd agree on the brakes. I have 6800's on mine and they are rock solid. My undestanding was that the EE brakes would work on sizes 56 or larger, I don't know what size you have, but you might want to dig arround and confirm that if you go that route.

As for the crankset, according to Shimano's specs, you'd probably save about 90g going to 6800 Ultegra, maybe 110-ish going to 8000. Another option if you want to stay with your 24mm BB would be Rotor's 3d cranks. Just cursory look online, you might save 130g or so with a set of 3d cranks and Praxis rings. This is assuming a 52/36 mid-compact, going full compact might save a few more grams. If you're looking to go full weight weenie, stem is another spot to look at.
I have 2 x 52. I haven't tried. I friend of mine rides a 56 and he tried, but it did not work. You are correct that the DM version of EE works on the 56 and larger of the new style tarmac, but because of the aero seat tube I don't think they will work on any size Allez sprint. Someone is perfectly welcome to prove me wrong with a picture, but I would hate for someone to order an EE and it not work.
yea, that was more toward Sock3t. I thought I saw someone who put EE's on a 56 Sprint, but I could be wrong. If so, it'll be here on the forums. Personally, I'm perfectly happy with my Ultegras. I doubt you'd get much better performance elsewhere with Shimano levers, nor would I expect a lot of weight savings going with different calipers. Was just spitballing ideas.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Sock3t
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 am

by Sock3t

Tried to fit a Gelu S3. Couldn't get it to clamp down at all with the Specialized carbon rail kit. Not sure how to make it work. Anyone try it on their sprint?

Sock3t
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 am

by Sock3t

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:27 pm

As for the crankset, according to Shimano's specs, you'd probably save about 90g going to 6800 Ultegra, maybe 110-ish going to 8000. Another option if you want to stay with your 24mm BB would be Rotor's 3d cranks. Just cursory look online, you might save 130g or so with a set of 3d cranks and Praxis rings. This is assuming a 52/36 mid-compact, going full compact might save a few more grams. If you're looking to go full weight weenie, stem is another spot to look at.
Awesome, thanks for the response. Didn't the R8000 crankset ring spacing change and not work with my 5800 front derailluer?

User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

Sock3t wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:18 am
Tried to fit a Gelu S3. Couldn't get it to clamp down at all with the Specialized carbon rail kit. Not sure how to make it work. Anyone try it on their sprint?
What are the dimensions on the rails? You might check to see if anyone has used it with the Venge ViAS, as it’s the same post, or the Roubaix as it’s the same clamp as the Pave post.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

eins4eins
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:49 am

by eins4eins

is the availability of the allez sprint dsw framekit a problem in other countries as well?
i'm thinking about this frame for quite a while now, but here in germany, colorways pop up and sell out immediately. it is very difficult to get a hand on the frame and nobody knows when there will be another version and which color it will be.
specialized homepage is only showing a purple framekit which isn't available anywhere. But several other colors were sold over the year and it seems a black/chrome version is the current paint scheme. Obviously not available anywhere in my size.

i asked in the concept store and they told me there will be no other paint scheme this year and specialized only makes 100 frames per run worldwide?! can't imagine both being true.

i want this frame, but do i really have to buy the next one available just to get one, fearing that there will be another color i like more two weeks later?

pyrahna
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:53 pm

by pyrahna

eins4eins wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:21 pm
is the availability of the allez sprint dsw framekit a problem in other countries as well?
i'm thinking about this frame for quite a while now, but here in germany, colorways pop up and sell out immediately. it is very difficult to get a hand on the frame and nobody knows when there will be another version and which color it will be.
specialized homepage is only showing a purple framekit which isn't available anywhere. But several other colors were sold over the year and it seems a black/chrome version is the current paint scheme. Obviously not available anywhere in my size.

i asked in the concept store and they told me there will be no other paint scheme this year and specialized only makes 100 frames per run worldwide?! can't imagine both being true.

i want this frame, but do i really have to buy the next one available just to get one, fearing that there will be another color i like more two weeks later?
There are 2 ways to get an Allez Sprint, in the U.S. (I have a feeling this is similar in other regions but I don't know) You can buy a complete bike or a limited edition frameset. The complete bikes are pretty straight forward to get, though there have been some colorways that have been harder to get than others. The framesets can be hard to get depending on the popularity of the paint job. I'm lucky, my local bike shop seems to sell a lot of high end stuff and knows about the paint jobs before they are released so they can get their orders in as soon as they are released and usually get what they order/ask for. There are a couple coming down the pipeline, including the '18 RHC paint job in a geared bike. Make friends with your local bike shop, make it clear that you will put a deposit down on a frameset if they can show you a picture of one you like. That's how I got my original 1x Allez Sprint (full bike) and my '17 RHC frameset. They knew I would put money down when they got the word from specialized that they could order it, so they called me, I said go and they ordered one for me, it took a while but it came in.

eins4eins
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:49 am

by eins4eins

thats pretty much what i tried to do. i went to the german flagship store, told them that i'm about to buy an allez sprint framekit, but wanted to know which colorways are in the pipeline. i specifically asked for the RHC version and the teal version Justin Williams is running, but they said the RHC version was sold out months ago and that there are no other colorways coming this year. hard to believe, as the 2018 RHC fixed version wasn't even released at that point and several other colorways were available at some point. but the people running the flagship store should know i guess.

i didn't expect it to be this difficult to buy a cheap alloy frame :roll:

pyrahna
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:53 pm

by pyrahna

eins4eins wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:05 pm
thats pretty much what i tried to do. i went to the german flagship store, told them that i'm about to buy an allez sprint framekit, but wanted to know which colorways are in the pipeline. i specifically asked for the RHC version and the teal version Justin Williams is running, but they said the RHC version was sold out months ago and that there are no other colorways coming this year. hard to believe, as the 2018 RHC fixed version wasn't even released at that point and several other colorways were available at some point. but the people running the flagship store should know i guess.

i didn't expect it to be this difficult to buy a cheap alloy frame :roll:
I would suggest trying a different store if you can.

User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

eins4eins wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:05 pm
thats pretty much what i tried to do. i went to the german flagship store, told them that i'm about to buy an allez sprint framekit, but wanted to know which colorways are in the pipeline. i specifically asked for the RHC version and the teal version Justin Williams is running, but they said the RHC version was sold out months ago and that there are no other colorways coming this year. hard to believe, as the 2018 RHC fixed version wasn't even released at that point and several other colorways were available at some point. but the people running the flagship store should know i guess.

i didn't expect it to be this difficult to buy a cheap alloy frame :roll:
That’s the problem with limited edition frames. I put in my order and ended up waiting 6 weeks. I got lucky. The shop I bought it at is one of the highest volume Specialized dealers in Texas, and we were almost to the point of trying to get the rep to try to pull one from another store nationally, problem being, there were none.

Apparently the limited edition frame sets typically sell out before they are available especially in popular colors, and it’s uncommon that they do multiple runs of the same color.

Best bet is to put in an order, wait, start complaining after a month and see if you can get an S rep involved in finding one.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Sock3t
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 am

by Sock3t

Same problem even with the Comp I ran into. Desirable colour ways sell before they're available. I got lucky and found my size and colour.

morganb
Posts: 539
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 pm

by morganb

I think a Sprint update is on the horizon. Every frameset is sold out currently with nothing shown in the pipeline. Up until this point sometimes colorways and sizes would be sold out but theyd have some sort of stock in something. Hoping they keep a rim brake option but looking at the Venge and Tarmac it's unlikely unless it's for price point reasons.

by Weenie


User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

morganb wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:02 pm
I think a Sprint update is on the horizon. Every frameset is sold out currently with nothing shown in the pipeline. Up until this point sometimes colorways and sizes would be sold out but theyd have some sort of stock in something. Hoping they keep a rim brake option but looking at the Venge and Tarmac it's unlikely unless it's for price point reasons.
There have been rumors from various sourses that Specialized will be going to an entirely disc braked lineup for their road bikes, but that it may not extend to framesets. So it's possibe that we could start seeing disc equiped Allez and Sprints in the near future, but you may still be able to get rim brake Venge, Tarmacs and Sprints in frame only... which would be fine with me as I rarely buy a fully built bike anyway.

Specialized hasn't officially said anything, so who knows how what the validity of those rumors are, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Discs are the future, they're coming, and from a financial standpoint it wouldn't make a lot of sense a few years down the road to continue producing both a disc and rim versions of all of their road bikes.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post