201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Helmetbox

by Helmetbox

Nefarious86 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:05 am
IrrelevantD wrote:
berest wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:37 am
Hi there!

2019 Allez Sprint owners, I need your help. Can anybody tell me if there's should be a compression ring with a headset or not?

The story is simple: I have bought a 2019 Allez Sprint frameset from Specialized official store, then i picked up the box and transferred it to my home country. In the moment of opening of all the inner boxes and packages i've found that there was no a compression ring for the headset by default from manufacturer(China/Taiwan) in it's factory sealed package.
ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage

I've found it weird so i have contacted that Specialized store, explained them what's going on and asked them to ship me that absent/missed compression ring. The answer of the official store totally shocked and confused me at the same time, cuz they are telling me that it's OK and there should be no compression ring at all. They took photos of the same frame from their store without that compression ring just to make me sure that they sell the frame in the same way without that small part. And here you go, the answer itself:
"Hi Igor,

please see the attached files.
The part is not nessesary for building up the bike. When you cut the steerer tube and put on a matching stem the headseat won’t move at all.
The Headseat will always move if the bike isn’t built up yet.

Kind regards"

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

So what's the story here, can anybody tell me? I see an empty space between the upper bearing and the steerer tube, i'm strongly believe that somebody is a liar and there's should be a compression ring. Can anybody confirm it please?

Thanks,
Igor
I actually just had my fork out to re-grease my bottom headset bearing. Come to think of it, I don't remember there being one. I actually never thought about it before. Maybe the bottom of the top cover is shaped to center the steerer tube in the bearing? I had them on my last two carbon bikes, because I always forgot about it when I pull out the stem and it'd go flying. I don't remember dealing with it when I pulled my fork earlier this week.
There should be a plastic split ring that goes in the top if the upper bearing like a compression ring.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Just gotten my frame. you are right. there is a plastic spilt ring. no sign of compression ring on my frame. guess the plastic spilt does the job.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boilerup

by boilerup

For Sprint owners, I have found one in my favorite paint scheme in size 54. I currently ride a 53cm Orbea Orca (OME frame). I am 70" tall (long legs, short torso) and feel like on paper I am probably a 56 in the sprint.

Anyone around 5'10" tall and rocking a size 54 Allez Sprint? How do you like it? Really the only considerable difference between it and my Orca is the stack height, but the 3cm less stack seems pretty large in comparison.

berest

by berest

IrrelevantD
Nefarious86
Helmetbox

Thanks buddies! Yupp, it has a plastic spilt ring by default. But it does nothing since it has no contact with upper bearing.
The funniest thing in this story that my local Specialized dealer in my country confirmed that there's should be for sure a compression ring. And they already gave me one :mrgreen: :noidea:

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

boilerup wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:56 pm
For Sprint owners, I have found one in my favorite paint scheme in size 54. I currently ride a 53cm Orbea Orca (OME frame). I am 70" tall (long legs, short torso) and feel like on paper I am probably a 56 in the sprint.

Anyone around 5'10" tall and rocking a size 54 Allez Sprint? How do you like it? Really the only considerable difference between it and my Orca is the stack height, but the 3cm less stack seems pretty large in comparison.
I"m 5'9-1/2" and 56 fits me perfectly. I test rode a 54 and it felt pretty small. I also had a lot of toe overlap on the 54 (I wear a size 44).
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

dcorn

by dcorn

boilerup wrote:

Both me and my friend are around 5'11" and we ride 54cm Sprints. I downgraded from a 56cm Tarmac that just felt too big.

boilerup

by boilerup

dcorn wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:36 am
boilerup wrote:

Both me and my friend are around 5'11" and we ride 54cm Sprints. I downgraded from a 56cm Tarmac that just felt too big.
Thanks for the reply! I am sure it will work. Reach is roughly the same, the stack is wayyy lower on the sprint though, but I don't think it will be too much of a problem.

On a side note, is there a write up on drilling/wiring up a Sprint with di2? Would be nice to have detailed instructions.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

berest wrote:IrrelevantD
Nefarious86
Helmetbox

Thanks buddies! Yupp, it has a plastic spilt ring by default. But it does nothing since it has no contact with upper bearing.
The funniest thing in this story that my local Specialized dealer in my country confirmed that there's should be for sure a compression ring. And they already gave me one :mrgreen: :noidea:
The split ring is a compression ring when installed properly.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

boilerup wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:18 pm
dcorn wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:36 am
boilerup wrote:

Thanks for the reply! I am sure it will work. Reach is roughly the same, the stack is wayyy lower on the sprint though, but I don't think it will be too much of a problem.

On a side note, is there a write up on drilling/wiring up a Sprint with di2? Would be nice to have detailed instructions.
I’m on my phone right now so I can’t pull it up easily, but I did a no-drill Di2 internal Install on mine. Takes some minor soldering skills, but you keep your warranty. It’s on here somewhere if you search my posts.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

boilerup

by boilerup

IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:01 pm
I’m on my phone right now so I can’t pull it up easily, but I did a no-drill Di2 internal Install on mine. Takes some minor soldering skills, but you keep your warranty. It’s on here somewhere if you search my posts.
Saw your posts, looks very clean, but I have never soldered anything together in my life :lol:

dcorn

by dcorn

boilerup wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:13 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:01 pm
Saw your posts, looks very clean, but I have never soldered anything together in my life :lol:
You should be able to drill the holes large enough for the Di2 connectors, but then use the standard split-style grommets that most manufacturers use on their Di2 frames.

boilerup

by boilerup

Dug through this thread and found some good examples of Di2 builds, thanks y’all!

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Yes the white saddle doesn’t fit, need to get a black one. Not sure about the pink bar tape either. Ultegra 8000 with a Cannondale sisl Srm, Ambrosio basic clincher wheels. Love the ride and handling, although a bit porky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brynhildr

by Brynhildr

Bad phone pic, and not very weight-weenieish but here it is! Carbon Wheels are on my wish list, not sure I'll ever afford them though!

Shop guy said this limited edition was kinda lame and uninspiring, hurt my feelies; but I've come to appreciate the design. Checkmate, or something like that!

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

Looks great to me! Though I am typically partial to monochromatic colour schemes on bikes. Lets you get away with a better variety of kits!
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

danridesbikes wrote:heres mine

eTap, Zipp 808's, ENVE SES Bars & ENVE Stem, no pedals in the pic but have Vectors

What size stem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk