201X Allez Sprint

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
mvcap
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:50 pm

by mvcap

Thanks, great looking ride!

07stuntin6r
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 am

by 07stuntin6r

mvcap wrote:Thanks, great looking ride!
Thanks! Sworks crank I hope will tie it all together. Later after i get a 11sp groupset either aerofly or aerofly vias

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


by Weenie


Sock3t
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:20 am

by Sock3t

The vias is for the venge.

07stuntin6r
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 am

by 07stuntin6r

Sock3t wrote:The vias is for the venge.
Well the 25mm rode bars that came on it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


07stuntin6r
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 am

by 07stuntin6r

Alright guys I just got my crank arms today and I'm trying to find the BB that I need for them. Trying to wrap this up tomorrow!Image

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 2554
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

2x 6806 bearings and 2 c clips
Using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 am

by 07stuntin6r

Nefarious86 wrote:2x 6806 bearings and 2 c clips
Yeah just found it....just debating if u want to buy the tools and do it or have the shop.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


PaulH
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:50 pm

by PaulH

I want to fit those cranks is there an external bottom bracket I can use ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 am

by 07stuntin6r

PaulH wrote:I want to fit those cranks is there an external bottom bracket I can use ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just used a BB30, Got the old one out with a hammer and screwdriver. Just pressed mine in with a rubber mallet and a socket. Messed up around the frame a little but saved me 70 on tools. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


User avatar
silvalis
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:02 am
Location: Aus

by silvalis

07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 am
I just used a BB30, Got the old one out with a hammer and screwdriver. Just pressed mine in with a rubber mallet and a socket. Messed up around the frame a little but saved me 70 on tools.
That sounds like a great way to damage your bb shell
Chasse patate

07stuntin6r
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 am

by 07stuntin6r

silvalis wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 am
I just used a BB30, Got the old one out with a hammer and screwdriver. Just pressed mine in with a rubber mallet and a socket. Messed up around the frame a little but saved me 70 on tools.
That sounds like a great way to damage your bb shell
How so? I've worked on cars and used this method for bearings before. The socket for bearing and was smaller in diameter of the shell.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


User avatar
silvalis
Posts: 472
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:02 am
Location: Aus

by silvalis

07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 am
silvalis wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 am
I just used a BB30, Got the old one out with a hammer and screwdriver. Just pressed mine in with a rubber mallet and a socket. Messed up around the frame a little but saved me 70 on tools.
That sounds like a great way to damage your bb shell
How so? I've worked on cars and used this method for bearings before. The socket for bearing and was smaller in diameter of the shell.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This isn't a steel car, it's a much softer aluminium bb30 shell with much tighter tolerances and in a relatively high stress area that is subject to lateral loading. Assuming you didn't damage the bearing after whacking it with a rubber mallet and a metal socket, there's no guarantee that you didnt put the bearing in properly straight and slightly ovalise the bb shell. There's a reason why BB presses are presses with guide rods and not hammer in jobs.

You'll find out if it went in properly or not after a few hundred km - if it starts to creak.
Chasse patate

07stuntin6r
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 am

by 07stuntin6r

silvalis wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 am
silvalis wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 am
I just used a BB30, Got the old one out with a hammer and screwdriver. Just pressed mine in with a rubber mallet and a socket. Messed up around the frame a little but saved me 70 on tools.
That sounds like a great way to damage your bb shell
How so? I've worked on cars and used this method for bearings before. The socket for bearing and was smaller in diameter of the shell.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This isn't a steel car, it's a much softer aluminium bb30 shell with much tighter tolerances and in a relatively high stress area that is subject to lateral loading. Assuming you didn't damage the bearing after whacking it with a rubber mallet and a metal socket, there's no guarantee that you didnt put the bearing in properly straight and slightly ovalise the bb shell. There's a reason why BB presses are presses with guide rods and not hammer in jobs.

You'll find out if it went in properly or not after a few hundred km - if it starts to creak.
I'm sure it will be fine, it has rings that are inside if those are flush with bearing then it more than likely in flush and straight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk


User avatar
IrrelevantD
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Location: Near DFW Airport

by IrrelevantD

07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:02 am
silvalis wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 am
silvalis wrote:
That sounds like a great way to damage your bb shell
How so? I've worked on cars and used this method for bearings before. The socket for bearing and was smaller in diameter of the shell.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
This isn't a steel car, it's a much softer aluminium bb30 shell with much tighter tolerances and in a relatively high stress area that is subject to lateral loading. Assuming you didn't damage the bearing after whacking it with a rubber mallet and a metal socket, there's no guarantee that you didnt put the bearing in properly straight and slightly ovalise the bb shell. There's a reason why BB presses are presses with guide rods and not hammer in jobs.

You'll find out if it went in properly or not after a few hundred km - if it starts to creak.
I'm sure it will be fine, it has rings that are inside if those are flush with bearing then it more than likely in flush and straight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The point he's trying to make is that the aluminum shell is relatively soft and using a hammer to bang a steel bearing into an aluminum shell could very well damage the shell in a way that isn't going to be immediately visibly apparent without careful inspection.

The better cheap DIY way would have been to get a threaded rod, some large, thick washers, and some bolts and make a cheap press. That way there's much less risk of damage due to blunt force trauma.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie


TLN
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:50 pm

by TLN

Thinking of parting out my Allez Sprint X1 Limited in 61cm. If anyone is looking for full Sram Force groupset or 61cm frameset - DM me.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post