201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Brynhildr

by Brynhildr

IrrelevantD wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:05 pm

Just from a safety aspect, I don't know that I'd run a 23c tire on a 28mm rim, much less 30mm and I'd probably shy away from 25c on anything bigger than a 28mm rim. My HED Jet+ rims are 25mm external, and they fit fine. 25c Schwalbe Pro Ones measure out to about 27mm on those rims, and I don't think I'd have any issues running 28s. I've actually managed to fit a 31c CX tire, but the knobbies rubbed on the top of the fork, so I'm going to guess 28c should be OK.

As to your question about rims... that's really going to depend more on your brake calipers. If they will open wide enough to fit, you're probably good. The question then becomes will the tire be too tall, and I *think* you'd be OK with up to 28c on 28mm rims. 30mm wide rims just seem excessive on a race bike, but I could see it for a canti brake CX/Gravel bike.
Yeah, I think 30mm would probably be too crazy. I saw the new Systemsix with it's superwide 32mm rim profile; & thought it might be cool.

Think I might try for something with a 28mm external width. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Brynhildr wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:29 pm
Yeah, I think 30mm would probably be too crazy. I saw the new Systemsix with it's superwide 32mm rim profile; & thought it might be cool.

Think I might try for something with a 28mm external width. Thanks!
Not sure about other calipers, but I just looked up the specs on the Ultegra 6800s I'm using and Shimano lists a maximum rim width of 28mm. You might want to just double check the specs on your calipers before you drop $$$ on new rims.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Brynhildr wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:37 pm
Anybody know what the max clearance for rim width is for the Allez Sprint Rim Brake version? Was looking at LightBicycle, and saw their new fancy wide rim profiles, would 28mm or 30mm rim width clear? I'd expect I'd have to even downsize my 25mm tires to 23mm to account for the change.
I'm running 28c GP5000TL's on my Allez sprint rim brake, with DA 9000 brakes.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

IrrelevantD wrote:
berest wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:37 am
Hi there!

2019 Allez Sprint owners, I need your help. Can anybody tell me if there's should be a compression ring with a headset or not?

The story is simple: I have bought a 2019 Allez Sprint frameset from Specialized official store, then i picked up the box and transferred it to my home country. In the moment of opening of all the inner boxes and packages i've found that there was no a compression ring for the headset by default from manufacturer(China/Taiwan) in it's factory sealed package.
ImageImage
ImageImage

ImageImage

I've found it weird so i have contacted that Specialized store, explained them what's going on and asked them to ship me that absent/missed compression ring. The answer of the official store totally shocked and confused me at the same time, cuz they are telling me that it's OK and there should be no compression ring at all. They took photos of the same frame from their store without that compression ring just to make me sure that they sell the frame in the same way without that small part. And here you go, the answer itself:
"Hi Igor,

please see the attached files.
The part is not nessesary for building up the bike. When you cut the steerer tube and put on a matching stem the headseat won’t move at all.
The Headseat will always move if the bike isn’t built up yet.

Kind regards"

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

So what's the story here, can anybody tell me? I see an empty space between the upper bearing and the steerer tube, i'm strongly believe that somebody is a liar and there's should be a compression ring. Can anybody confirm it please?

Thanks,
Igor
I actually just had my fork out to re-grease my bottom headset bearing. Come to think of it, I don't remember there being one. I actually never thought about it before. Maybe the bottom of the top cover is shaped to center the steerer tube in the bearing? I had them on my last two carbon bikes, because I always forgot about it when I pull out the stem and it'd go flying. I don't remember dealing with it when I pulled my fork earlier this week.
There should be a plastic split ring that goes in the top if the upper bearing like a compression ring.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Sock3t

by Sock3t

OK my praxis bottom bracket is creaking.

I wanted the Hambini race, but it's constantly out of stock. Who else makes a really nice conversion that isn't Praxis or Wheels? I'm sick of listening to my bike creak.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Sock3t wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:49 pm

I wanted the Hambini race, but it's constantly out of stock. Who else makes a really nice conversion that isn't Praxis or Wheels? I'm sick of listening to my bike creak.
Installed Enduro Ceramic last year, no creaks, spins way better
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Sock3t wrote:

I know you said you don't want WheelsMfg... but their Angular Contact beraings (24mm/shimano) have been rock solid for me for about 19 months now. I'll preimptively pull off the dust cover and clean and re-grease them every 5,000mi or so, but other than that no issues. Definatley haven't had any creaking issues.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Sock3t wrote:

It shouldn't be creaking... I'd pull the crank out, clean everything, throw some Park tool Shimano BBT-9 wrenches on it and make sure the two sides of the adapter are tight. When I first built my Venge years ago, I had this happen to me and I think I just didn't get the two sides totally locked tight and they backed slightly out. Once I re-tightened that bike was solid and didn't creak for years.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Sock3t wrote:
Brynhildr wrote:
Anybody know what the max clearance for rim width is for the Allez Sprint Rim Brake version? Was looking at LightBicycle, and saw their new fancy wide rim profiles, would 28mm or 30mm rim width clear? I'd expect I'd have to even downsize my 25mm tires to 23mm to account for the change.
Nice heard the 5000 run skinnier. Got the same brakes and was curious how wide I could go with those tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sock3t

by Sock3t

07stuntin6r wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:05 am
Sock3t wrote:
Brynhildr wrote:
Nice heard the 5000 run skinnier. Got the same brakes and was curious how wide I could go with those tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really. Mine run true to size 28c. 18mm internal width rim.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The new 28s fit like the old 25s

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Sock3t

by Sock3t

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:43 pm
Sock3t wrote:

It shouldn't be creaking... I'd pull the crank out, clean everything, throw some Park tool Shimano BBT-9 wrenches on it and make sure the two sides of the adapter are tight. When I first built my Venge years ago, I had this happen to me and I think I just didn't get the two sides totally locked tight and they backed slightly out. Once I re-tightened that bike was solid and didn't creak for years.
Thanks Rich,

I did this yesterday and will go for a spin today to see.

IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 pm
Sock3t wrote:

I know you said you don't want WheelsMfg... but their Angular Contact beraings (24mm/shimano) have been rock solid for me for about 19 months now. I'll preimptively pull off the dust cover and clean and re-grease them every 5,000mi or so, but other than that no issues. Definatley haven't had any creaking issues.

I'll have a look at it. Thank you!

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Good luck with it... as I said, it shouldn't be creaking. I have thousands of miles on mine and friends with a bunch as well, all creak free.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:34 pm
Good luck with it... as I said, it shouldn't be creaking. I have thousands of miles on mine and friends with a bunch as well, all creak free.
Well, I pulled the BB, cleaned it really well, then applied anti-sieze as Praxis recommends. It creaked on my 3 hour ride today the whole time. Worse on the right side when putting power down. I've been through it all - we blamed the cleats, pedals, and skewers. Essentially the bike has all new parts but the BB, and it creaked before all the new parts.

I dropped it off at my amazing local bike shop asking for a fix.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Never was a huge fan of the matte black logo and letering. Decided it was time to personalize it. My wife got a Cricut, so I borrowed it and got some vinyl that was a little more personal to my family.
(please ignore the lack of proper valve stem placement and dirty chainring)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com