201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Allez sprint disc or tarmac carbon rim brake?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

dwift wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:19 pm
Thanks everyone for the detailed and polite replies. I appreciate the insight into groupsets and see there is a pretty valid reason for my indecisiveness :thumbup: Is it common to run non-shimano brakes with mostly shimano builds?
Really depends on the brakes. Shimano has been playing with the ammout of pull from their levers over the last several years, so different gerneations play differently with 3rd party, or even their own calipers, so it's really a 'your milage may vary' situation unless you're going with the intended calipers. Personally, I've been extremely happy with the 6800 Ultegra's I have on mine and haven't really considered anything else. I'd expect 7000/8000 to perform just as well.
dwift wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:19 pm
One question I had when it comes to this build is if I'm missing anything in my anticipated parts list concerning items I still need to purchase. As I get closer to deciding on a groupset this will get more filled out, but this is where I'm at currently. I haven't received the frame yet, so I'm not sure if I will need to buy a BB conversion kit or if it includes the Praxis one I see mentioned everywhere. Similarly, I'm unsure of how headsets work when buying a frameset.
Frameset comes with loose BB30 cartarage bearings and a retention clip... that's it. No dust caps or anything else. Personally, all of my cranks are 24mm spindles (Rotor & Shimano), so I went with a Wheels Mfg. thread together BB for mine. If you chose to use the included bearings with 24mm spindle crank (IE: HT2 or GXP), you will need appropriate reducers/spacers. If you go with BB386, you'll need spacers, and I'd just assume you'll need something for anything other than just straight BB30/OSBB. Honestly, regardless of what you go with for a crank, I'd plan on buying a good BB for it that will fit in a BB30 shell.

As for headset, the included one is fine, but personally I'd hit it with an additional layer of grease to try to stave off water ingress. It's pressed in, so not something easily replaceable as on a carbon frame, and my lower bearing did sieze up a little bit after about a year (+8,000 mi). I was able to get the dust shild off and flush and re-grease it, kinda, and it's mostly OK, but I think I'll probably need to replace it in the next 6 months or so.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

07stuntin6r wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:14 pm

I'd go sprint, but it really depends on how you're planning to use it.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

07stuntin6r wrote:

Having a disc road bike, I'd only go disc if you plan on riding it in the rain. This is really the only advantage aside from not having silver brake tracks.

Disc downsides: 1) thru axles are fine, but don't lock in roof racks and there will be adapters in your life. 2) Noise when out of adjustment 3) the pads get contaminated with oil and fail 4) weight 5) the disc can make it difficult to keep the paint inside your seat stay nice and putting the rear wheel back on difficult- rounded edge rotors help. 6) bleeding brakes can be messy. 7) the hoods are bigger- this is worse on smaller bikes because of proportions.

Reasons to go disc: 1) riding in the wet 2) You own another disc bike to share wheels with 3) silver brake tracks on black wheels are ugly. 4) Hydro brakes don't need adjustment.

I'd only go Allez Sprint for the look. The Tarmac is better in every other way. The aero seat post doesn't help as much as you think it would aero-wise (doesn't do much head-on, but does add some sail in yaw) and it rides pretty rough. Slap some aero bars on the front of the Tarmac, and you'll have a better aero setup. I assume they're the same price when you consider you can find older Tarmac inventory.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

jfranci3 wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:

Having a disc road bike, I'd only go disc if you plan on riding it in the rain. This is really the only advantage aside from not having silver brake tracks.

Disc downsides: 1) thru axles are fine, but don't lock in roof racks and there will be adapters in your life. 2) Noise when out of adjustment 3) the pads get contaminated with oil and fail 4) weight 5) the disc can make it difficult to keep the paint inside your seat stay nice and putting the rear wheel back on difficult- rounded edge rotors help. 6) bleeding brakes can be messy. 7) the hoods are bigger- this is worse on smaller bikes because of proportions.

Reasons to go disc: 1) riding in the wet 2) You own another disc bike to share wheels with 3) silver brake tracks on black wheels are ugly. 4) Hydro brakes don't need adjustment.

I'd only go Allez Sprint for the look. The Tarmac is better in every other way. The aero seat post doesn't help as much as you think it would aero-wise (doesn't do much head-on, but does add some sail in yaw) and it rides pretty rough. Slap some aero bars on the front of the Tarmac, and you'll have a better aero setup. I assume they're the same price when you consider you can find older Tarmac inventory.
Yeah I really would like disc for the better brakes in wet weather and also not having to worry about carbon wheel brake tracks.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

07stuntin6r wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:53 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:

Yeah I really would like disc for the better brakes in wet weather and also not having to worry about carbon wheel brake tracks.

I'm not going to argue against jfranci3's points except that running tubeless legates a lot of the harsh ride. I run 25c tubless at 75-80psi with carbon bars (Zipp) and I find it to be just as comfortable as my '05 S-Works Tarmac was with standard clinchers on rough roads and chip'seal. It's more comfortable than my '15 Propel with the same wheels, but that's not really saying a lot as the Propel was pretty rough (other than you can have a very stiff aluminum bike that's more comfortable than a full carbon).

LocoDuck

by LocoDuck

Waiting on some aerofly bars to come back in stock and i'll be upgrading my setup. Ride comfort is reasonably harsh although I'm now used to riding cushy 37mm tyres on my commuter. Wheels on the sprint are 404 firecrests with veloflex roubaix tubs, great responsiveness for sprinting even at 80psi.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:13 pm

I'm not going to argue against jfranci3's points except that running tubeless legates a lot of the harsh ride. I run 25c tubless at 75-80psi with carbon bars (Zipp) and I find it to be just as comfortable as my '05 S-Works Tarmac was with standard clinchers on rough roads and chip'seal. It's more comfortable than my '15 Propel with the same wheels, but that's not really saying a lot as the Propel was pretty rough (other than you can have a very stiff aluminum bike that's more comfortable than a full carbon).
Yes, running bigger tires will help. Otherwise, the Sprint seat post and frame are 2x as vertically stiff as the Tarmac according to the German magazines who measure things. I think at 85psi your looking at 95n/mm vertical for the tire.
Tarmac/Sprint:
Rear vert 250ish / 430ish n/mm
Seat post 125ish (general round carbon non-offset) / 225 n/mm Venge

While the tire, rear frame, seat post, etc all form a stack of springs, the aero seat post isn't helping you. Effectively, you only get compliance from the tire on the Sprint. The D-shaped post and lower clamp should help the newer Tarmac get that seatpost down to 80n/mm.

I had my CX bike which had just as stiff of a rear as the Sprint and a 175 n/mm-ish seat post on 23c @100psi tires. It was brutal until I put a cushy post on.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

jfranci3 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:12 pm
I had my CX bike which had just as stiff of a rear as the Sprint and a 175 n/mm-ish seat post on 23c @100psi tires. It was brutal until I put a cushy post on.
23c clinchers at 100psi... yea, no... that absolutely would be brutal on the Sprint. I wouldn't consider that setup unless I knew I was running on ice rink smooth fresh black top the entire ride.
But,
Tire selection can make a huge difference. I'm about 95kg and I'm running 25c Pro One's, tubeless, at just under 80psi on nice wide rims (HED Jet+) and it's actually quite cushy, even on Texas chip'seal.

dwift

by dwift

I received my frame. I'm just waiting to determine the best choice for cockpit and also to see if I can snag a SRAM Force groupset for cheap before I start building. I've never ridden SRAM before, but the weight savings intrigue me. If that doesn't work out it seems R8000 is my fall back given the steal of a deal it's going for on CRC ($675).

Besides the components I need to buy, I want to remove the demo decals from my wheels and throw on the black ZIPP logos. Or potentially ride without them completely, though then no one will know I spent a nice chunk of change on them :thumbup: :mrgreen:

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Finally getting the bike how I want it. Trading my SWorks Power Arc for a White S works power. Slapped my power expert in the mean time. Got my Reynolds AR58 finally! Also got some sworks cranks and carbon spider coming Image

ImageImage

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

There she blowsImageImage

Suby

by Suby

07stuntin6r wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:57 pm
There she blows

Beautiful build. I've always wanted a predominantly white bike, it is sooo clean. I almost pulled the trigger on a white/chrome frame, but found my dream Allez Sprint instead. It should've shipped out yesterday so I should see it by next week! Sadly there's no N+1 for me right now (need to pay for my wedding), so I'll be selling my disc brake bike.

mvcap

by mvcap

What rear light are you using? Mine doesn't mount well to the aero seat post.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

mvcap wrote:What rear light are you using? Mine doesn't mount well to the aero seat post.
It's axiom I believe. I really would rather have one that has top and bottom mounted instead of just one.