201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RadB

by RadB

Any noteworthy riding experiences on the new frame by people here?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SandyChamois

by SandyChamois

I had a headset bearing cover 3d printed as well. it fits nicely Image
Attachments
7D13B894-F1B7-41A0-A31A-9D132EB9CB48.jpeg
94B56637-5798-487C-AE3E-64EDD40796F8.jpeg
F7A2FDB1-BB23-4BC8-9AC1-6F3126AC0A42.jpeg

rothwem

by rothwem

Wouldn't it make more sense to rotate the orientation of those bikes 90 degrees so you can get them out of that nook without removing all of them?

moock

by moock

Does anyone have both Allez Sprint 2017 and 22?
I would be interested if there are any differences in ride quality or power transfer.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

rothwem wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 12:57 pm
Wouldn't it make more sense to rotate the orientation of those bikes 90 degrees so you can get them out of that nook without removing all of them?
I thought the same thing.

Change of subject - I see you're in Asheville; I'll be there at the end of June with a bike. Any recommended must-do's to ride in the area?
-Matt

SandyChamois

by SandyChamois

rothwem wrote:
That wouldn't be Feng Shui :D
No, seriously there is a TT whip, Wahoo Kickr and Wattbike also in the Pain Cave, that is the only way to orient them to all fit....

rothwem

by rothwem

SandyChamois wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:37 pm
rothwem wrote:
That wouldn't be Feng Shui :D
No, seriously there is a TT whip, Wahoo Kickr and Wattbike also in the Pain Cave, that is the only way to orient them to all fit....
Hm, gotcha. My sister has an old house with all these random nooks in it, its been her obsession to try to occupy them in productive ways.
Matt28NJ wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:52 pm
Change of subject - I see you're in Asheville; I'll be there at the end of June with a bike. Any recommended must-do's to ride in the area?
-Matt
We can take this offline, but for a short statement regarding road bikes, you've got to ride to Mount Mitchell. Its a bit of a grind since you take the parkway the whole way, but you've got to do it. If you leave AVL without doing it, you'll regret it. Otherwise, there's good riding everywhere, but just like any large-ish city, getting out of town is terrible. Its usually easier to ride out north though if you're staying downtown, you've got a solid 30 minutes of fighting through sprawl if you go south.

speedylumberjack

by speedylumberjack

moock wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:35 am
I would be interested if there are any differences in ride quality or power transfer.
I've got both in disc form. According to Strava I've put about ~550miles on it since I built it up a few weeks ago. Not quite the same configuration as I went from 11spd to 12spd and added deeper wheels (similar tire size and pressure though). That said, I feel the power transfer and stiffness is still there, the weight is about the same, and the handeling is very similar. Can't compare my feel for "speed" because the different wheel depths, but the only noticeable tangible improvement that I felt was the better ride quality. My MY17 would just beat you up over crappy roads, while I feel the MY22 helps on this aspect which is nice on longer rides. I'm guessing this is due mainly to the seatpost, geo, and fork changes. I haven't changed my fit between the bikes, but I feel more comfortable on the new model so I plan on slamming it a bit more.

CoastTheMost

by CoastTheMost

moock wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:35 am
Feels pretty similar to me. Ride quality is still not great I would say the 2022 is marginally better but I'm on carbon handlebars and a 32mm rear 28mm front tire. It's harsh over rough road but actually more comfortable than a shitty Trifox X16 (carbon) frame I bought last year over long distance.

Power transfer feels great. I don't really feel much flex at all when I sprint and it holds the speed really well. I still like the looks and paint color on my 2017 more but functionally I feel nothing was lost.

RadB

by RadB

I went into the shop on the weekend to inspect and collect the frameset in oil slick. It's nice, for sure, but it didn't grab me and is still at the shop pending my decision.

I'm looking to replace a 2020 propel disc SL but on reflection the sprint doesn't appear to do anything better, and is heavier, arguably more fragile as you can't repair alu, obv requires refitting/cutting everything which I don't do for fun. So overall cost benefit is questionable for me.

moock

by moock

RadB wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:17 am
I went into the shop on the weekend to inspect and collect the frameset in oil slick. It's nice, for sure, but it didn't grab me and is still at the shop pending my decision.

I'm looking to replace a 2020 propel disc SL but on reflection the sprint doesn't appear to do anything better, and is heavier, arguably more fragile as you can't repair alu, obv requires refitting/cutting everything which I don't do for fun. So overall cost benefit is questionable for me.
wait for cervelo soloist

AnonymousRacer

by AnonymousRacer

Just purchased a 52cm '22 Sprint Comp yesterday to replace my now-out-of commission CAAD12 (rim brake). I was looking for something to race crits, with disc brakes, and semi-aero with a budget. I've also wanted to switch to the Tarmac/Allez '22 geometry. On my test rides I found it to be noticably stiffer than my CAAD12, and also a bit harsher as expected. However my rides on the Allez were with the stock wheels/tires/tubes vs with GP5000s and latex tubes on my CAAD12. Once I get the new wheels combo, I think it will help the ride.

From stock, I'm changing to:
- Ultegra Stages PM (from my CAAD12)
- SL7 stem (pending shipping)
- Bontrager Elite Aero VR-CF bars (pending shipping)
- Hunt wheels (still deciding between 54 Aerodynamicist, 50 Carbon, or the 65 Carbon)
- 28mm Conti GP5000 w/ Vittoria latex tubes

I'm curious about the Bontrager bars. They 'claim' 23 seconds savings over an hour, but I haven't found any data to back it. I know they are heavy bars, but I wanted to try aero, and didn't want to spend a fortune on carbon aero bars. I usually ride classic shaped drops, and these were the closest I could find to be aluminum, aero with classic style drops. If they don't work out, I'll likely switch to my usual Zipp SL88 standard bars.

I debated going with 12 spd Shimano, but wanted to wait until things sorted out. Such as the new 105 di2 speculation, and keeping my Stages PM usable until 12spd PMs are more readily available. I've also thought about using 12spd chainrings on my 11spd crankarms. I also debated waiting for new bikes to come out this year, but was having issues with my CAAD12 and needed a bike for riding/racing and wasn't how availability on new bikes will be.

Here's a shot of the stock bike, without my fit as I'm still waiting for the correct stem/bar and subsiquent resizing of the brake hoses.

Last edited by AnonymousRacer on Wed May 11, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formerly known as airsoft510
2022 Specialized Allez Sprint 12spd Ultegra, 8.4kg
2016 CAAD 12 11spd Ultegra, 7.62kg
2009 CAAD 9 10spd Sram Red, 6.72kg

AnonymousRacer

by AnonymousRacer

edit; double post
formerly known as airsoft510
2022 Specialized Allez Sprint 12spd Ultegra, 8.4kg
2016 CAAD 12 11spd Ultegra, 7.62kg
2009 CAAD 9 10spd Sram Red, 6.72kg

Jrsq270

by Jrsq270

I have a size 54 on order. And I'm gathering all the parts for the build. I'm curious of what is the height measurement of the headset top cap?
I'm looking to replicate the fit of my S-Works Sl4 in bar height.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CoastTheMost

by CoastTheMost

Jrsq270 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:58 pm
I have a size 54 on order. And I'm gathering all the parts for the build. I'm curious of what is the height measurement of the headset top cap?
I'm looking to replicate the fit of my S-Works Sl4 in bar height.

Thanks
16mm