201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sock3t

by Sock3t

morganb wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:52 pm
I had to cut the seatpost on my Sprint, both when I had a 52 and when I sized up to a 54. On the 52 I had a high saddle height for that size and still bottomed out the post.
Same on my 54. I'm "technically" perfect on a 54 and bottomed out the seat post...

tutle2020

by tutle2020

Are there any news on the availability of the Sprint Disc Comp in Europe? I asked my dealer but he has no info yet, I’m not sure how long the wait will be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

where needs drilling to Di2 it?

morganb

by morganb

danridesbikes wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm
There are a few ways to do it. I dremeled the brake stop and ran the first cable to there and then through the headtube. I drilled above the weld on the seat tube and before the weld at the dropouts for the derailleirs.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

danridesbikes wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm
I you want to avoid voiding your frame waranty, I ran mine without drilling.

I took some long e-tube cables, cut off one side several inches from the end, ran the front and rear deraileure cables into the downtube drops, and spliced the cables back together with them hanging out the bottom of the head tube. I had a long enough battery cable (Use the Venge seatpost mount) to put the B-junction in the down tube and ran one cable from the A-Junction into the frame at the top tube with the rear brake cable.

Shimano makes some external Di2 tape with a channel in it, I used that and followed the normal cable line for the mechanical cables. I also used a little bit of Sugru to secure the cables where they exit the downtube. That was a little under a year and 8,500 miles ago, and still working just fine.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

dwift

by dwift

I expect to be receiving my Red Hook frame soon :beerchug:

In preparation, I started to research the best value group set in terms of price to performance/weight ratio. This will be my *first* bicycle build from the frame up. I don't plan on racing or anything, at least not right away, but I'm building the bike as a reward for a very positive first season of taking road cycling seriously.

Currently, my ride is a 2018 Allez Elite with *mostly* 105 5800 and I've been overall happy with the performance of my stock components. In researching my new build, I've narrowed the groupsets for my Sprint down to R7000 and R8000. It seems the difference between tiers is getting harder and harder to distinguish as time goes on, with R7000 being better than my current groupset but not as good as R8000. Weight gains also seem minimal.

With that said, if anyone could chime in on their thoughts of components to pair with the frame, specifically looking at R7000 and R8000 in terms of value, that would be great! I'm absolutely stuck between these two groupsets. :?

I've never ridden on any components higher end than 105 5800, so my perspective is limited. I plan to put Zipp 404 Firecrests on the frame, for reference.

If this is too off topic for this thread let me know where I can post or learn more. I haven't really seen this discussed in detail on the internet.

Cheers, I'm excited to share photos once it's all together.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Dwift... if you're purely looking for value, than it is hard to argue against 105. The pevel of performance is just so good for the cost involved. That being said, I feel like a RedHook crit bike deserves at least Ultegra. Its not an S-Works bike, but it is such limited production that I feel like it needs some higher end stuff. I haven't tried R7000 105, but I had 5800 on my Allez for a while, before moving to Ultegra 6800 and now DA9000. The biggest noticeable difference between 5800 and 6800 for me was the action of the brake levers. It felt more precise on the 6800. I've used 8000 and it is even better. My perception between 6800 and 9000 is that from a performance standpoint, they are almost identical, with the biggest difference being weight. That has carried over to the latest generation. One could argue that the cost differences might not be worth weight savings, but this is weight weenies afterall, and the truth is, no matter where you look on a bike, it is hard to find HUGE weight savings in one big lump, its all small amounts of weight savings on each part, but that adds up and when looking at the overall bike, it can make a difference.

I'd vote 8000.

My good buddy just built up his Allez Sprint with Ultegra R8000 and the bike rips.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

dwift wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 am

In preparation, I started to research the best value group set in terms of price to performance/weight ratio. This will be my *first* bicycle build from the frame up. I don't plan on racing or anything, at least not right away, but I'm building the bike as a reward for a very positive first season of taking road cycling seriously.

Currently, my ride is a 2018 Allez Elite with *mostly* 105 5800 and I've been overall happy with the performance of my stock components. In researching my new build, I've narrowed the groupsets for my Sprint down to R7000 and R8000. It seems the difference between tiers is getting harder and harder to distinguish as time goes on, with R7000 being better than my current groupset but not as good as R8000. Weight gains also seem minimal.

With that said, if anyone could chime in on their thoughts of components to pair with the frame, specifically looking at R7000 and R8000 in terms of value, that would be great! I'm absolutely stuck between these two groupsets. :?

I've never ridden on any components higher end than 105 5800, so my perspective is limited. I plan to put Zipp 404 Firecrests on the frame, for reference.

If this is too off topic for this thread let me know where I can post or learn more. I haven't really seen this discussed in detail on the internet.

I'm a SRAM guy (ETap on my original Red Hook, and Force 1x on my Black And Blue Allez Sprint) so I'll avoid any comments on the shimano drivetrains. But I do have one suggestion regarding wheels. Take a serious look at the CLX 50s. They are significantly lighter than the 404s, wider (more comfort), probably more aero and only a little more expensive. The only downside is I believe the newer 404s have the textured brake track which is an improvement over the brake track on the Rovals.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

I'm debating as well what groupset I want to go to on my sprint. Mine came with tiagra 10sp and only thing I've changed was my brakes to dura ace 9000s. I'm in the middle between ultegra and force 22.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

dwift wrote:

I'm going to echo a lot of what Rich said. I haven't tried the new 7k or 8k, but from my experience with 105 through DA over the last decade or so, there is very little noticeable difference in performance, especially once you hit the 11s stuff. I've run through a mix of 5800 and 6800 mechanical on my CX bike and I really can't tell the difference when I'm riding. There's obvious ascetics differences, and slight weight differences, but that's about it. The bigger difference is when you make the jump from mechanical to electric shifting.

I'm also going to agree somewhat with pyrahna in that you should look into some wide, semi-deep section wheels. He suggested CLX 50's, personally I like alloy brake tracks, so I went with HED Jet+. It's a wide rim, and you put a pair of good 25's on it, it corners like it's on rails and the bike just looks better with +40mm rims.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Cattiy

by Cattiy

I am strongly considering a Allez Sprint Disc 1x frameset built from scratch.
As this is will the second bike to my Cannondale Slate, I want to source cheap parts over the next winter months.
Plan is to use:
Rival 1 Hydro brake
Rival 1 long cage rear derailleur
Quarq DZero Carbon BB30 PM with Rival/Force 1 Chainring
S-Works Aerofly handlebar
Nextie 45 mm Rims on DT Swiss 350 hubs.

Before i put my money on the table, are there any noteworthy alternatives I should consider?
Especially as I dislike that I am left with an ugly and empty front derailleur mount and the Europe frameset colour is not my alltime favourite, especially to the beautiful rocket red frameset colour that the rest of the world can buy.

WheelNut

by WheelNut

dwift wrote:

I really think the whole highend groupset fever is overblown. The most important part of good shifting is maintenance and correct setup. Cable friction can make Ultegra shift like Tourney. The only really important consideration in my opinion is weight. 105 shifts great and its 11 speed, so you've got all the range you need. If you race on courses with lots of elevation change then lower weight components can help. Keep in mind though that a lot of Shimano parts don't lose much weight as you move through the levels. R8000 shifters= 440g, R7000 shifters= 480g, Sram Force 22= 320g, Potenza 11= 370g. Even Shimano's light weight levers are pretty heavy. Anyway, if you do want to save a lot of weight buy a lower level group and substitute in some seriously lightweight parts like a carbon crankset, lightweight brakes, bars, or wheels, etc. The thing is that drivetrains don't really get more efficient as they get more expensive. You could easily clock the same time on a course on Sora as you would with Ultegra. The gains are so minimal. I've got an R8000 mix on my gravel bike with internal cable routing and the shifting is so so. I brazed up a city frame for my partner with Taigra flat bar shifters and external routing and they feel way better than the R8000 on my gravel bike. I've had Sora, Tiagra, 105, Uletgra, Dura-Ace, Athena, and Potenza on bikes over the last few years and I'd say the only one that gave me trouble was the cable adjustment on the Campy Athena. None of the other groups gave a distinct advantage in speed.
Spend what your budget allows and don't worry if that puts in a low level group because it sure as hell won't slow you down.

dwift

by dwift

Thanks everyone for the detailed and polite replies. I appreciate the insight into groupsets and see there is a pretty valid reason for my indecisiveness :thumbup: Is it common to run non-shimano brakes with mostly shimano builds?

With that said, I purchased the 404's on sale for about $1800 for my current Allez as a dramatic aero upgrade a few months ago. They made a huge difference and I may consider upgrading to something better in the future. I'd like to carry these over to my new build so I don't drop another few thousand on this build :roll:

One question I had when it comes to this build is if I'm missing anything in my anticipated parts list concerning items I still need to purchase. As I get closer to deciding on a groupset this will get more filled out, but this is where I'm at currently. I haven't received the frame yet, so I'm not sure if I will need to buy a BB conversion kit or if it includes the Praxis one I see mentioned everywhere. Similarly, I'm unsure of how headsets work when buying a frameset.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

dwift wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:19 pm
Thanks everyone for the detailed and polite replies. I appreciate the insight into groupsets and see there is a pretty valid reason for my indecisiveness :thumbup: Is it common to run non-shimano brakes with mostly shimano builds?

With that said, I purchased the 404's on sale for about $1800 for my current Allez as a dramatic aero upgrade a few months ago. They made a huge difference and I may consider upgrading to something better in the future. I'd like to carry these over to my new build so I don't drop another few thousand on this build :roll:

One question I had when it comes to this build is if I'm missing anything in my anticipated parts list concerning items I still need to purchase. As I get closer to deciding on a groupset this will get more filled out, but this is where I'm at currently. I haven't received the frame yet, so I'm not sure if I will need to buy a BB conversion kit or if it includes the Praxis one I see mentioned everywhere. Similarly, I'm unsure of how headsets work when buying a frameset.

I actually use Shimano brakes w/ both my SRAM builds as I find them to be noticeably firmer. If there is anything that I think Shimano nails better than their competitors, I would say it's the brake calipers.

Also I'd price out Force and Rival and look at the weights if I were you.....but I've already stated my biases in this regard.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The headset will come with the frame. Along with some spacers and a compression plug

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com