201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:15 pm
those spacers work fine, but your bearing spacing is closer than Shimano anticipated.
BSA is 68mm wide, but bearing sits outboard at 86.5mm wide.
BB86 while bearing sits inside, it is already 86.5mm wide so no more spacers.
BB386 also have bearing inside with 86.5mm wide, it is also the correct width without spacers.
PF30, BB30 have bearing sit inside on the spacing of 68mm. This is where the slack come from.
Get spacers to take the slack off and keep using it, but if the bearing doesn't last long. Next time change the BB completely to something that put bearings wider apart.

The total width of a BSA BB is 90.5mm, not 86.5mm.

The play has nothing to do with the 86.5mm wide BB standards (which need to be spaced out to 90.5mm to use 24mm spindles anyway.) He already has BB30->24mm reducers installed which are supposed to add extra width to make up most of the difference.

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

pyrahna wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:59 am
burger wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:24 am
So I just installed Etap on my sprint and I'm struggling with the front der. First the low limit screw was too long and rubbed on the crank. Realized it wasn't doing anything so took it out. Even with no low limit set the der. won't shift far enough inboard, in the low gear it rubs on the inside of the cage. Then it's incredibly difficult to set the high limit screw correctly, it either over shifts or undershifts. I've messed with the alignment and the height and nothing seems to work.

Has anyone struggled like this? I'm using a quarq riken with 11spd rings so I think it should work.
I had the exact same issue. What I ended up doing was changing the spacing on my crank. I believe I added a little bit of spacer to the drive side and that solved it. Once I did that it was the easiest setup on a front derailluer I've ever done.
i have the same issue, do you know what spacers you put on the Drive side?

(im using a BB30 Red Quarq)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:41 pm
The total width of a BSA BB is 90.5mm, not 86.5mm.
Thanks for correction. I knew something doesn't sound right when bb86 which is 86.5mm wide don't need any spacer to use with Shimano crank, and at the same time BB90 from Trek also fit Shimano crank without using spacer. So either bb86 have built in 4mm extra width (seal lips?) or Trek's BB90 allow crank to mate spindle inside of the shell.

Real width of 90.5mm expected by Shimano Hollowtech II make sense.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks for correction. I knew something doesn't sound right when bb86 which is 86.5mm wide don't need any spacer to use with Shimano crank, and at the same time BB90 from Trek also fit Shimano crank without using spacer. So either bb86 have built in 4mm extra width (seal lips?) or Trek's BB90 allow crank to mate spindle inside of the shell.

Real width of 90.5mm expected by Shimano Hollowtech II make sense.

Usually the BB86 press-in bottom brackets have lips on either side that sit against the face of the shell.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

danridesbikes wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:55 pm
pyrahna wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:59 am
burger wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:24 am
So I just installed Etap on my sprint and I'm struggling with the front der. First the low limit screw was too long and rubbed on the crank. Realized it wasn't doing anything so took it out. Even with no low limit set the der. won't shift far enough inboard, in the low gear it rubs on the inside of the cage. Then it's incredibly difficult to set the high limit screw correctly, it either over shifts or undershifts. I've messed with the alignment and the height and nothing seems to work.

Has anyone struggled like this? I'm using a quarq riken with 11spd rings so I think it should work.
I had the exact same issue. What I ended up doing was changing the spacing on my crank. I believe I added a little bit of spacer to the drive side and that solved it. Once I did that it was the easiest setup on a front derailluer I've ever done.
i have the same issue, do you know what spacers you put on the Drive side?

(im using a BB30 Red Quarq)
A BB30 shim. Usually like a 1 mm or 2.5 mm spacer will do the trick, it didn't take much.

nycxandy

by nycxandy

I have an issue with bottle clearance for the cage on the seat tube on my 52. Anyone else?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

nycxandy wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:29 am
I have an issue with bottle clearance for the cage on the seat tube on my 52. Anyone else?
Water bottles come in diferent sizes, from 21oz - 26oz. Camelbak's are the tallest. 21oz Specialized bottles are the shortest.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

nycxandy

by nycxandy

mpulsiv wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:09 am
nycxandy wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:29 am
Water bottles come in diferent sizes, from 21oz - 26oz. Camelbak's are the tallest. 21oz Specialized bottles are the shortest.
I got some 23 oz. Purist Insulated ones and they don't fit. Guess I'll have to try the non-insulated ones.

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

mpulsiv wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:58 am
Darceking wrote:They fit. The Allez has plenty of clearance
No, 28mm Continental GP4000S will not clear because this tire measure ~31mm wide and 29mm tall (territory of gravel tires).
With hed jet plus rims, what tire might fit and allow one to ride gravel on an allez sprint?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

bikesrdangerousmmk wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:
No, 28mm Continental GP4000S will not clear because this tire measure ~31mm wide and 29mm tall (territory of gravel tires).
With hed jet plus rims, what tire might fit and allow one to ride gravel on an allez sprint?
Statement above only applies to Allez Sprint rim brake. Disc may clear 28mm Continental GP4000S. Why in the world would ride the pure race bike on gravel? Geometry will exhibit twitchy handling on gravel. Also, 28mm Continental GP4000S is a terrible choice for gravel.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

mpulsiv wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:19 pm
mpulsiv wrote:

Statement above only applies to Allez Sprint rim brake. Disc may clear 28mm Continental GP4000S. Why in the world would ride the pure race bike on gravel? Geometry will exhibit twitchy handling on gravel. Also, 28mm Continental GP4000S is a terrible choice for gravel.
Not interested in GPs. That’s why I asked the question.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

mpulsiv wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:19 pm
mpulsiv wrote:

Not interested in GPs. That’s why I asked the question.
Again, Allez Sprint is a terrible choice for gravel, even if you can fit the most supple tires. It’s pure race bike. My suggestion is to consider gravel frame for as low as $530 www.performancebike.com/shop/fram-fuj-j ... 18-31-8748

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Very true. Good looking value there.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:18 pm
mpulsiv wrote:
I have HED Jet+ wheels, and while you might be able to squeeze a 28 in there, I'm going to second the other opinions in here about riding it on gravel. Maybe for a few hundred meters, but if you're going any distance, you're going to want bigger than that and I can't see fitting anything bigger than 28's on an Allez. Just for kicks, I threw the wheels I have on my "chase my kids arround the park" bike. Has Conti RIDE Tour 28c on it, and they fit, but just barely.

Even if you were OK with the handling of the Sprint on gravel, anything other than hard packed dirt or decomposed granite, and you're going to want much bigger tires. I have a Trek Crockett (CX bike) and it works fine on gravel. I'd probably prefer something with fatter tires, a little longer wheelbase and a little less twitchy than a CX bike for extended periods on gravel (+40-50mi), but I also want to be able to take it on the local MTB trails, and a cross bike works OK as a good "do anything" bike.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Quency

by Quency

Can anyone recommend headset options for the Allez Sprint (sz 56cm)? Current stock headset is looking (and feeling) quite worn so looking for a replacement asap.

I've done the headset fit finder on Cane Creek and is says:
Upper Headset: IS 41/28.6
Lower Headset: IS 49/37
Struggling to find options to suit. Is going through specialized my only option?

In Aus btw so if online purchase need to consider postage here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com