201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marsbe

by marsbe

How does the Sprint geo compare to a Cannondale caad/evo? I have my eye on a 56 Sprint but I'm usually a 54 Cannondale (110mm stem). I'm mostly concerned about the reach difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

They're similar. The 56cm Allez Sprint has a slightly more aggressive handling specs. 1mm less rake, 1mm less trail...you wouldn't notice this. It has a higher BB, which is popular with criterium racers. It is more aero, but also heavier than a CAAD12. You would need a 100mm stem with the 56cm Allez Sprint.

marsbe

by marsbe

Okay thanks for the help.

dwift

by dwift

I just pulled the trigger on the Red Hook 2019! I found a helpful Specialized Elite store who managed to track one down and get it shipped out to me :beerchug:

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Just posting my sprint up here ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

dwift

by dwift

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:23 am
I like the details in the matching bar tape and saddle. Are these custom?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

dwift wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:12 pm
Supacaz. Bar tape is off the shelf, pretty easy to find at most shops. The saddle, while pretty standard, is $$$. It's an S-Works power saddle, but it retailas for $420. Supacaz was started by the son of Specialized's founder, so you see their stuff on some of the S sponsored teams, explains the saddle, etc. I had their bar tape on my Sprint for a while, it's pretty nice and quite durable.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

IrrelevantD wrote:
dwift wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:12 pm
Supacaz. Bar tape is off the shelf, pretty easy to find at most shops. The saddle, while pretty standard, is $$$. It's an S-Works power saddle, but it retailas for $420. Supacaz was started by the son of Specialized's founder, so you see their stuff on some of the S sponsored teams, explains the saddle, etc. I had their bar tape on my Sprint for a while, it's pretty nice and quite durable.
Let see more of this bike. The bar tape looks more robust near the curved section below hoods.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

07stuntin6r wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:46 pm
Let see more of this bike. The bar tape looks more robust near the curved section below hoods.
I noticed that as well. My assumption is SRAM blips to be used as sprint shifters.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

taodemon

by taodemon

That saddle would look great on my SL6. The $120 up charge for the colors is a bit rough when I already have an sworks power on it.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

marsbe wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:10 am
How does the Sprint geo compare to a Cannondale caad/evo? I have my eye on a 56 Sprint but I'm usually a 54 Cannondale (110mm stem). I'm mostly concerned about the reach difference.
How'd it fit you? I just picked up a 56cm Sprint and I'm afraid its a little big for me. I ran a 130mm stem and the longest reach bar I could find on my 54 CAAD12, so I thought it would be fine, but it looks like my seatpost will have to be almost slammed.

On the other side, this may give me a chance to try out the 170 crank length on road.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:03 pm
marsbe wrote:
How'd it fit you? I just picked up a 56cm Sprint and I'm afraid its a little big for me. I ran a 130mm stem and the longest reach bar I could find on my 54 CAAD12, so I thought it would be fine, but it looks like my seatpost will have to be almost slammed.

On the other side, this may give me a chance to try out the 170 crank length on road.
Just out of curiosity, how tall are you? Seems kinda odd that you'd have to slam the seatpost on a 56 sprint but not on a 54 CAAD12 as the CAAD actually has a longer seat tube and a higher standover due to the more horizontal top tube. On paper, the 56 Sprint is less than 1cm longer top tube and reach than the CAAD, so I would have thought the same as you, size up on frame size down on stem, specially if you're running a 130 already.

Jclarke89

by Jclarke89

IrrelevantD wrote:
Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:03 pm
marsbe wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how tall are you? Seems kinda odd that you'd have to slam the seatpost on a 56 sprint but not on a 54 CAAD12 as the CAAD actually has a longer seat tube and a higher standover due to the more horizontal top tube. On paper, the 56 Sprint is less than 1cm longer top tube and reach than the CAAD, so I would have thought the same as you, size up on frame size down on stem, specially if you're running a 130 already.

I’m 6,1 and have to 56’s sprints, both have 130mm stems and the fit is perfect with the seat notched at 3.5.

A caad12 would not be smaller in regards to slamming the seat post on the sprint.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

I am 5'10"ish with a 32" inseam and yeah I thought the same. My seatpost on the CAAD wasn't showing a lot but it has a longer seattube. Idk I may just be a weird size. Reach on the Sprint feels a little short with the 100mm stem. As I said, I don't have a lot of flexibility so the 170 crank may help in terms of both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com