201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WheelNut

by WheelNut

Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:31 pm
Just out of curiosity, how tall are you? Seems kinda odd that you'd have to slam the seatpost on a 56 sprint but not on a 54 CAAD12 as the CAAD actually has a longer seat tube and a higher standover due to the more horizontal top tube. On paper, the 56 Sprint is less than 1cm longer top tube and reach than the CAAD, so I would have thought the same as you, size up on frame size down on stem, specially if you're running a 130 already.
I am 5'10"ish with a 32" inseam and yeah I thought the same. My seatpost on the CAAD wasn't showing a lot but it has a longer seattube. Idk I may just be a weird size. Reach on the Sprint feels a little short with the 100mm stem. As I said, I don't have a lot of flexibility so the 170 crank may help in terms of both.
The seat tube on the Allez is shorter than the seat tube on the Cannondale by 5cm according to the geo charts. Not sure how it could be possible that you have less seat post above the ST collar on the Allez than on the Cannondale given the same BB to saddle top dimension. Are the geometry charts wrong perhaps (ormaybe I'm reading them wrong)? Or is one of your bikes not the size you think it is?
CAAD12 Size 54- ST length 570mm
Allez Size 56- ST length 520mm

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

Oh, no no it's not shorter than the caad. Never said that. Just that it is very nearly slammed. Nothing wrong there, just that it looks a little funny.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

taodemon wrote:That saddle would look great on my SL6. The $120 up charge for the colors is a bit rough when I already have an sworks power on it.
Where you find that at? I only see the new blue color on Specialized site

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Nvm

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Supacaz’s site has them

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

07stuntin6r wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:11 pm
Where you find that at? I only see the new blue color on Specialized site
https://supacaz.com/product/supacaz-swo ... er-saddle/

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Jclarke89 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:16 pm
I’m 6,1 and have to 56’s sprints, both have 130mm stems and the fit is perfect with the seat notched at 3.5.

A caad12 would not be smaller in regards to slamming the seat post on the sprint.
Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:31 pm
I am 5'10"ish with a 32" inseam and yeah I thought the same. My seatpost on the CAAD wasn't showing a lot but it has a longer seattube. Idk I may just be a weird size. Reach on the Sprint feels a little short with the 100mm stem. As I said, I don't have a lot of flexibility so the 170 crank may help in terms of both.
That's just really odd to me. Both of you are taller than me (5'9-1/2") and I have no problem with the 56 Allez Sprint. I have 172.5mm cranks, 100mm stem, slammed with a 7º rise and it feels about perfect and the seat post isn't slammed. Hope I'm not coming off as being confrontational, I'm not trying to be, it just sounds odd to me and I'm trying to wrap my head arround it.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

That's just really odd to me. Both of you are taller than me (5'9-1/2") and I have no problem with the 56 Allez Sprint. I have 172.5mm cranks, 100mm stem, slammed with a 7º rise and it feels about perfect and the seat post isn't slammed. Hope I'm not coming off as being confrontational, I'm not trying to be, it just sounds odd to me and I'm trying to wrap my head arround it.
I just realized how this may be misunderstood. For anyone finding this in a search for future reference lol. When I say bottomed out, I do not mean my seat is on the seatpost collar. I mean the uncut seatpost is almost at its lowest point of insertion into the frame. If cut, it could definitely go several inches lower.

To answer you though, I might just have weird proportions and not have realized. After fiddling with it a little more, I'm pretty sure this will be a fine setup.

morganb

by morganb

I had to cut the seatpost on my Sprint, both when I had a 52 and when I sized up to a 54. On the 52 I had a high saddle height for that size and still bottomed out the post.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I'm 5'11 and had a 54 Allez, I don't get why someone shorter than me would want a bigger bike?

morganb

by morganb

tonytourist wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:02 pm
I'm 5'11 and had a 54 Allez, I don't get why someone shorter than me would want a bigger bike?
Different proportions or a need for a higher stack height? The seat angles are the same and the reach is similar so it would allow a less aggressive fit.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

morganb wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 pm
tonytourist wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:02 pm
Different proportions or a need for a higher stack height? The seat angles are the same and the reach is similar so it would allow a less aggressive fit.
Yeah, I went really low on my CAAD and I wanted to try Long and sorta Low instead of super Low.

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

This is my first Specialized so I haven't had to deal with OSBB a lot. Can anyone explain wtf this bottom bracket's dimensions are? I'm removing the praxis to get something to fit my Rotor 3d+ power meter and I can't figure out what I actually need.

On a side note, *f##k* praxis for a 30 to 28 mm taper crank system, and why tf would Specialized throw something on there that keeps you from using their own branded cranks?

morganb

by morganb

Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:24 pm
This is my first Specialized so I haven't had to deal with OSBB a lot. Can anyone explain wtf this bottom bracket's dimensions are? I'm removing the praxis to get something to fit my Rotor 3d+ power meter and I can't figure out what I actually need.

On a side note, *f##k* praxis for a 30 to 28 mm taper crank system, and why tf would Specialized throw something on there that keeps you from using their own branded cranks?
OSBB except on a few early bike just means BB30.

WheelNut

by WheelNut

This is a great chart for referencing BBs: https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-standards

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Ltyarbro42 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:01 pm

I just realized how this may be misunderstood. For anyone finding this in a search for future reference lol. When I say bottomed out, I do not mean my seat is on the seatpost collar. I mean the uncut seatpost is almost at its lowest point of insertion into the frame. If cut, it could definitely go several inches lower.

To answer you though, I might just have weird proportions and not have realized. After fiddling with it a little more, I'm pretty sure this will be a fine setup.
Ok, that makes more sense.

As to Tonytourist's comment about why anyone shorter than him would want something bigger than a 54... I'm just under 5'10 and I've been on a 56 for about 28 years. I did have a Giant medium that translated to something closer to a small 55, but the 54 Allez Sprint felt too short in both length and height. I would have ended up with a 120mm stem and like 20mm in spacers and I didn't want to go either route. I've been professionally fitted and 56 really is the sweet spot for me.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.