201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Datmo

by Datmo

IrrelevantD wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:18 pm
morganb wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:02 pm
I think a Sprint update is on the horizon. Every frameset is sold out currently with nothing shown in the pipeline. Up until this point sometimes colorways and sizes would be sold out but theyd have some sort of stock in something. Hoping they keep a rim brake option but looking at the Venge and Tarmac it's unlikely unless it's for price point reasons.
There have been rumors from various sourses that Specialized will be going to an entirely disc braked lineup for their road bikes, but that it may not extend to framesets. So it's possibe that we could start seeing disc equiped Allez and Sprints in the near future, but you may still be able to get rim brake Venge, Tarmacs and Sprints in frame only... which would be fine with me as I rarely buy a fully built bike anyway.

Specialized hasn't officially said anything, so who knows how what the validity of those rumors are, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised. Discs are the future, they're coming, and from a financial standpoint it wouldn't make a lot of sense a few years down the road to continue producing both a disc and rim versions of all of their road bikes.
“We are going to stop selling full rim-brake road bikes, and will only sell them as framesets,” says Specialized PR spokesman Sean Estes.

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/art ... int-51685/

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Knew I had seen something to that effect. One concern is that they discontinue the Sprint as a fully built bike. Noticed at the ToC that Axeon was on Tarmacs for all of their disc equipped bikes. As they are pretty much the highest level Sprint equipped team Spec sponsors, I’d expect they’d be on a disc version first if there was a prototype in the works.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Datmo

by Datmo

I hope and still think they’ll offer completes. I’m potentially thinking about picking up a complete with the new Shimano 105 Disc groupset if it’s offered in the right color way.

The Allez Sprint complete with 105/Axis had a price increase of about 2-300 EUR between 2017 and 18 here in Sweden, so I hope that trend doesn’t continue until the point where it doesn’t seem such good value anymore. Fingers crossed.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

contacted specialized directly through the homepage. All Allez sprint frames sold out and they don't know when there will be stock again. I should ask again in 2-3 months....i understand that those things are limited editions, but i won't put in an order for a frame i don't when and in which color in will be available.
Pretty lame for a company this big and as much as i would've liked to build an Allez, i will now look for something else.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

What size?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

eins4eins

by eins4eins

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Are those paint jobs vinyl wraps or paint?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:53 pm
Paint
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

IrrelevantD wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:46 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:53 pm
Paint
Does anyone know how they actualy paint some of these frames?

The leopard print fork looks like a vinyl wrap under a clear coat, but the '17 RHC frame has multiple layers of color. I got a small scratch on the inside of my chainstay and it just shows the next color down. You also can feel the paint thickness changes through the clearcoat when you rub your finger over it. It looks like they masked it and painted it, masked it and painted, rinse repeat....but that would have taken forever and cost a boatload in relatively skilled time.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

pyrahna wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:10 pm

The leopard print fork looks like a vinyl wrap under a clear coat, but the '17 RHC frame has multiple layers of color. I got a small scratch on the inside of my chainstay and it just shows the next color down. You also can feel the paint thickness changes through the clearcoat when you rub your finger over it. It looks like they masked it and painted it, masked it and painted, rinse repeat....but that would have taken forever and cost a boatload in relatively skilled time.
In general, I think that's how it's done. Not sure on Specialized, but IIRC GCN followed a frame through the Trek Project One process and that's the process they were using. Probably part of the reason they are Limited Edition and so dificult to get your hands on some of them.

pyrahna

by pyrahna

IrrelevantD wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:54 pm
pyrahna wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:10 pm

In general, I think that's how it's done. Not sure on Specialized, but IIRC GCN followed a frame through the Trek Project One process and that's the process they were using. Probably part of the reason they are Limited Edition and so dificult to get your hands on some of them.
Doing some of them w/ masks seems reasonable....but I can't imagine how they could and still make money on the RHC, or even my wife's new Tarmac Disc w/ the blue/teal geometric pattern. It's really involved as well. Mind you that isn't a $1200 frameset, but it's still a lot more complex than the black on black paint jobs that were popular a couple of years ago.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

eins4eins wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:01 am
contacted specialized directly through the homepage. All Allez sprint frames sold out and they don't know when there will be stock again. I should ask again in 2-3 months....i understand that those things are limited editions, but i won't put in an order for a frame i don't when and in which color in will be available.
Pretty lame for a company this big and as much as i would've liked to build an Allez, i will now look for something else.
Need to start calling shops that carry specialized. It's the only way I was able to find my bike. Specialized nor the shop I bought it from had it listed on their websites as available. It's a popular bike and there weren't many made.

dcorn

by dcorn

All the frames are probably 'sold out', meaning stores have them in stock and Specialized doesn't keep track of them anymore.

The new Spokes Etc. in Arlington, VA has a ton of Allez's in multiple sizes, some built up and some not. I saw them with my own eyes last night, they have a couple of the bare aluminum frame, the teal with gloss black accents, and at least one bright yellow. Sizes from 52 up to 61cm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Sock3t wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:39 pm
eins4eins wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:01 am
Need to start calling shops that carry specialized. It's the only way I was able to find my bike. Specialized nor the shop I bought it from had it listed on their websites as available. It's a popular bike and there weren't many made.
Better yet eins4eins, if you can get a shop that has enough clout with their Specialized Rep, the rep should be able to get into their dealer network and figure out who has what and possibly pull from another store. The dealers are suposed to report back to Specialized what they have in inventory. I know that Specialized was seeing in the inventory system the bike I bought at a shop about 20 miles away, unfortunately they hadn't updated their system in several months and it was purchased by an employee a few weeks prior.