201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

ancker wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:00 pm
Anyone have a link to a 54cm headset?
Mine is very knotchy/gritty and need replaced.
You have to get it through a Specialized dealer. Its this weird semi integrated design that I've never seen before (you have to press in the cup but the bearing is attached to the cup.

ancker

by ancker

morganb wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:47 am
ancker wrote:
You have to get it through a Specialized dealer. Its this weird semi integrated design that I've never seen before (you have to press in the cup but the bearing is attached to the cup.
Thanks. I ended up not needing it. Taking the whole thing apart and cleaning it was apparently all it needed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sandsquid

by sandsquid

ancker wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:56 pm
morganb wrote:
ancker wrote:
Thanks. I ended up not needing it. Taking the whole thing apart and cleaning it was apparently all it needed.
Are there any aftermarket headsets that work with Allez Sprints? I'd like to build one up. Just wondering if there's a Chris King headset that agrees with it.

morganb

by morganb

sandsquid wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:00 pm
ancker wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:56 pm
morganb wrote:
ancker wrote:
Are there any aftermarket headsets that work with Allez Sprints? I'd like to build one up. Just wondering if there's a Chris King headset that agrees with it.
Not that I know of, definitely nothing from CK that would work. The fact that different frames use a different lower bearing doesn't help. Cane Creek lists a headset in their fit finder, but I don't see how it would work as it lists an IS headset but the one from Specialized required a press to install.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

ancker wrote:
Likely the problem is the spacers, not the bearing.

AyBee

by AyBee

Where's the best place to find a 0mm setback seatpost for an Allez Sprint? Cheapest I've found is £120 so far :(

pyrahna

by pyrahna

AyBee wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:58 am
Where's the best place to find a 0mm setback seatpost for an Allez Sprint? Cheapest I've found is £120 so far :(
It's a proprietary post, so your the only place you are guaranteed to be able to get it is at a Specialized dealer. Even then it's probably going to be a special order, and you'll be unlikely to get it for any discount. If you happen to see a used one pop up on ebay that would be a cheaper route but they are pretty rare. If searching for it realize that it's the same seatpost that comes with the Venge VIAS, but it's a different post than what comes with the old Venge.

AyBee

by AyBee

Thanks - yeh, know it's shared with the Venge Vias. Think I'll be waiting around a long time to get one on ebay :(

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

AyBee wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:10 pm
Thanks - yeh, know it's shared with the Venge Vias. Think I'll be waiting around a long time to get one on ebay :(
I seem to recall seeing ViAS compatible seatposts on AliExpress at one point, but who knows what you'll get going that route.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

How's everyone's bottom brackets holding up? I bought the 2018 Comp version and am hoping it's fine, but will go after market if need be.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Sock3t wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:16 pm
How's everyone's bottom brackets holding up? I bought the 2018 Comp version and am hoping it's fine, but will go after market if need be.
Are you asking about the frame or the actual bearings? I’ve put about 5,000mi on mine since I bought it in October and everything is doing fine. That being said, I bought the frame set and built it myself with a Shimano crank, so the actual bearings are from Wheels Mfg. (frameset came with BB30 bearings).
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

IrrelevantD wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:43 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:16 pm
Are you asking about the frame or the actual bearings? I’ve put about 5,000mi on mine since I bought it in October and everything is doing fine. That being said, I bought the frame set and built it myself with a Shimano crank, so the actual bearings are from Wheels Mfg. (frameset came with BB30 bearings).
Bearings.

I know a lot of people posted about creaking issues and not liking the BB30 on the tarmac, was wondering if the same for the Allez!

I picked up my Comp yesterday - I got my Reynolds Assaults on it and of course want to start cutting weight. Right now it's 8.1kg (ready to ride, cages, pedals and bolt)....I know the saddle and bars are heavy - any other lower cost suggestions to cut weight?

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Sock3t wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Bearings.

I know a lot of people posted about creaking issues and not liking the BB30 on the tarmac, was wondering if the same for the Allez!

I picked up my Comp yesterday - I got my Reynolds Assaults on it and of course want to start cutting weight. Right now it's 8.1kg (ready to ride, cages, pedals and bolt)....I know the saddle and bars are heavy - any other lower cost suggestions to cut weight?
"Low Cost" and "Cut Weight" are rarely things that go together. What crankset does the Comp come with? I know Spec switched from the Praxis cranks to Shimano on some of them, but I'm not sure of the weight difference. I know personally I wasn't a fan of the Praxis cranks, part of the reason I bought the frameset and built it with my own parts (used an Ultegra 6800 crank). If you want to cut weight, I'd suggest some carbon bars, as you mentioned the saddle. I know there are people on here that have been able to get their Sprints in the sub 7kg range, but not sure exactly what components. If you're patient, you can find some good ebay deals. I found some Zipp SL70 Aero bars for about $120, and a few sets of Ultegra cranks under $100. My 56 is currently about 6.5kg without wheels (with Fly6 and Fly12 cameras and Garmin 1000).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sock3t

by Sock3t

IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:24 pm
Sock3t wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Bearings.

"Low Cost" and "Cut Weight" are rarely things that go together. What crankset does the Comp come with? I know Spec switched from the Praxis cranks to Shimano on some of them, but I'm not sure of the weight difference. I know personally I wasn't a fan of the Praxis cranks, part of the reason I bought the frameset and built it with my own parts (used an Ultegra 6800 crank). If you want to cut weight, I'd suggest some carbon bars, as you mentioned the saddle. I know there are people on here that have been able to get their Sprints in the sub 7kg range, but not sure exactly what components. If you're patient, you can find some good ebay deals. I found some Zipp SL70 Aero bars for about $120, and a few sets of Ultegra cranks under $100. My 56 is currently about 6.5kg without wheels (with Fly6 and Fly12 cameras and Garmin 1000).
To me low cost is under $500. I saw the Tune saddles and will ask the guy doing my fit to see if they'd work, I know thats literally 300 grams dropped. It has 105 cranks, which cranks are substantially lighter? I also am looking for bars and will follow your lead on that.

I really fell in love with the gloss chameleon colour and the gloss teal. Chameleon in my size was no where to be found, but found a gloss teal not far away so I hopped on it. I know it has tektro brakes - are ultegras any lighter?