201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Calnago wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm
If you develop play in your headset after that it is either because your stem is sliding up the steertube or there wasn’t enough preload in the first place.
Yea, I've covered all of the other bases you mentioned, I'm thining it's the former and the stem is sliding up fractions of a MM. Just enough to give me a thunk under moderate braking. Light braking I get nothing, it only shows up when I have to come to a complete stop from 15-20mph or more and it develops gradulally over a few weeks or months after being tightened. I have some carbon paste from a seatpost I bought for my other bike, going to give that a shot and see if it helps.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@IrrelevantD: one other thing... I mentioned the “support” function of the expander in the steertube. Is it the stock expander? Does it press against the inner diameter in the area where the stem bolts are clamping? If the steertube is somewhat “soft” or has the room to compress a bit, that has the same effect as loosening the stem bolts, and it may be shimmying itself loose like that. Or, if the steertube is cut too short and the top stem bolt is kind of “coning” on the upper edge of the steertube, it can tend to have a pulling effect on the stem, also loosening the preload. It’s why I always like to have full contact between stem and steertube and make sure that something is supporting the steertube from inside to prevent this. Although some steertubes these days must be constructed so strong that they don’t even require an expansion plug, as i know some Canyon steertubes didn’t even require an expansion plug at all, and the preload was done “below” the stem with a “wedging” type of action between headset and stem. Oh, and make sure you’re working with a completely clean steertube and stem interface (aside from carbon paste if you use it), by cleaning off any grease etc that probably got on the steertube when you inserted it through the head tube.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

@Calnago
Is it the stock expander?
Yes, It is the Specialized expander that came with the frameset which has the lip to keep it from going too far down the steerer. As previously mentioned, I have it tightened to the upper limit of Specialized's torque specs, so I'd be hesitant to tighten it more than it is.

Does it press against the inner diameter in the area where the stem bolts are clamping?
Yes, I have my stem slammed and didn't leave any room for spacers below the stem. I do have a spacer above the stem to ensure the top cap is not hitting the top of the steerer or the expander itself.

I think we're thinking a lot along the same lines as far as possible causes.

You mentioned a soft steerer, but as I'm using one of the Specialized stems that has the shim to adjust the angle, I'm wondering if that shim could be creating a similar issue. As I notice it more during/after wide tempeature changes, perhaps the contraction of the aluminium shim is just enough to allow it to slip? I mean, we're only talking about maybe 30ºF, so I wouldn't *think* it'd cause an issue. Only other thing I can think is maybe the shim-on-steerer interface just doesn't have enough friction to keep it in place?
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, we’re on the same page on all this stuff. You know the issue, and your thought process is the same as mine. And yes, I forgot to mention to have enough of a space between the top cap and the expansion plug to make sure the top cap isn’t bottoming out on the expansion plug before it even does its thing for the preload. But you’re on that too. I don’t know how that shim is playing with it all, but that might be having some effect I suppose. You would know better on that one. Good luck.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

liam7020 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:28 pm
Monkeyfudger wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:23 pm
That road surface looks bloody awful!
Concrete slabs held together by strips on tar. You want to go to Flanders mate - that's all there is!
Haha, I actually lived in Antwerp for a time but I’d somehow completely forgot about how bad the concrete surfaces were in places!

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

got the drill out, took a while, but got all the wires under and round the bb - 4 wires and a 4 port junction stuffed into the downtube, long wire running up the frame, drilled the front mech stop out so the Di2 wire slid through, straight into the bars, running a RS910 bar end junction so only 1 wire coming out the bars

rear mech through the chainstay and under, front mech and battery in seatpost down and round, leaves enough room for bb30 but going to run a BB30 > GXP converter for a Quarq

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

For anyone in future the rear Di2 cable will fit out the end of the chainstay through the hole in the cast dropout if you file it a little. No drilling of the chainstay needed ;)
Using Tapatalk

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Anyone know the colorcode of the blue (fork) on the Red Hook crit? I have a small chip I want to fix.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:35 am
For anyone in future the rear Di2 cable will fit out the end of the chainstay through the hole in the cast dropout if you file it a little. No drilling of the chainstay needed ;)
i had seen that on an earlier Allez, the holes where the weld is at the far left of my pic, decided a fresh hole would be better than going at a weld point, did think about splicing a wire as well, but this was easier

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

Ritsuke wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:39 pm
Anyone know the colorcode of the blue (fork) on the Red Hook crit? I have a small chip I want to fix.
ask notenoughswedes on insta

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

danridesbikes wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:21 am
Ritsuke wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:39 pm
ask notenoughswedes on insta
Thanks! :)
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

berest

by berest

Hi everybody!

Can anybody tell me please:
1) Can i put a Conti Gator Hardshell 700x28 on a 2019 Allez Sprint without having any clearance issues? I want to buy these tires, but not sure if they will fit the frame. I'm planning to use Roval SLX 24 wheelset and it's rims dimensions are: "20mm internal, 24mm external".
2) If no, than what is the widest/largest tire can i put on a Sprint + previosly mentioned rims without having any clearance issues(rubbing)?

Best regards,
Igor

p.s. Non disc Sprint.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

berest wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:37 pm
Hi everybody!

1) Can i put a Conti Gator Hardshell 700x28 on a 2019 Allez Sprint without having any clearance issues? I want to buy these tires, but not sure if they will fit the frame. I'm planning to use Roval SLX 24 wheelset and it's rims dimensions are: "20mm internal, 24mm external".
2) If no, than what is the widest/largest tire can i put on a Sprint + previosly mentioned rims without having any clearance issues(rubbing)?

Best regards,
Igor

p.s. Non disc Sprint.
Going to depend on how wide they actually are with your rims. The 25c Pro Ones I have on my HED Jet+ measure about 28-29mm and fit fine. I’m going to guess you’d be able to run just about any 28’s without issue, but I wouldn’t rule out the possibility of issues with a tire that runs bigger than it’s listed size on a really wide rim.

morganb

by morganb

berest wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:37 pm
Hi everybody!

Best regards,
Igor

p.s. Non disc Sprint.
I can fit a 28mm Open Corsa G+ on a 21mm internal rim (Quill) without any issues. Measures just under 31mm. I would run something other than Gatorskins though unless you are getting flats every day. Super high rolling resistance tire for such a racy bike.

Jarett

by Jarett

Happy colorful Allez Red Hook :D
IMG_0981.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com