201X Allez Sprint

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ancker

by ancker

I think I have this figured out. (The thunk.)

Under the bearing/headset cover is the slotted plastic compression ring that fits snugly between the steerer tube and the bearing.
On top of the head tube, there is a black plastic ring that I assume is to help keep contaminates out of the headset.

With the black plastic headtube cover ring removed, the bearing/headset cover pushes the compression ring down and removes steerer play as expected.
With the cover installed, the bearing/headset cover isn't fully able to engage the compression ring and cannot completely remove play.

I might install a few micro spacers on top of the compression ring to make sure the bearing/headset cover fully engages and see if the problem goes away.

by Weenie

rainerhq

by rainerhq

You mean this kind of spacers/washers?

I haven´t cut the steerertube yet and put the thing together. So can´t comment on any play in the headset etc.
Domane
Speed Concept
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

ancker

by ancker

rainerhq wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 10:17 am
You mean this kind of spacers/washers?

I haven´t cut the steerertube yet and put the thing together. So can´t comment on any play in the headset etc.
Yup. Those type of micro spacers. I'm out of town for a week, but would be interested how they work for you.

Edit: Found some in my parts bin. Added two 0.25mm spacers under the headset cover. Fixed. No more thunk.

Did some hard braking up and down my road, bunny hops, grabbed brake and tried to make it creak in my driveway. Nothing.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Was about to tackle the install of my Zipp Aero bars today, but couldn’t find my cable cutters. Might have the shop do it as I’m impatient. They quoted me on the phone around $200! Don’t think I’ll need new cables as mine are fairly new and I got some more space since I went from a 110mm stem to a 100mm. Ridiculous how much labor is for bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sock3t

by Sock3t

07stuntin6r wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:50 am
Was about to tackle the install of my Zipp Aero bars today, but couldn’t find my cable cutters. Might have the shop do it as I’m impatient. They quoted me on the phone around $200! Don’t think I’ll need new cables as mine are fairly new and I got some more space since I went from a 110mm stem to a 100mm. Ridiculous how much labor is for bikes.

After reading your posts...I don't think I'd want you to work on the bike. Maybe $200 is the price to pay to be safe?

dcorn

by dcorn

07stuntin6r wrote:
So go to the shop and buy cable cutters to do it yourself?

When I bought my Allez, I uninstalled a set of internally routed aero bars and it was a HUGE pain in the ass. Had to pull the cable out of the entire bike to get the cables out of the bars. Then because the cables are slightly frayed from the clamping bolts on the derailleurs, the cable won't go back in the little sheath in the housings. I ended up having to recable and install new housings on the entire bike just because the (really light and expensive bars) were too wide for me. After struggling through that job for half a day, I'd say it's worth a couple hundo.

silvalis

by silvalis

I did (for the first time) some SL70 Aeros a month back. Not a fun job. Had to pull all cables out, rerouted the gear cables from inside path to outside (probably didn't need to do this but it seemed to sit nicer). Tried to reuse my old cables however frayed a couple, so used new cables in the end which is much easier. My outers were fine and were long enough to route through, although i did trim it a bit.

Took me at least 3-4 hrs. Probably less if I used new inners and outers to begin with. Probably the most fustrating job I've done on the bike yet.
Get the shop to do it, or at least buy new cables with capped ends.
Chasse patate

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Sock3t wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:

After reading your posts...I don't think I'd want you to work on the bike. Maybe $200 is the price to pay to be safe?
So are you always an a-hole sock3t? From reading your replies seems like all you do is criticize everyone instead of being helpful.

I’ve done all my work myself and have had no issues. I don’t want to buy cable cutters cause I already have some. Anyways got it down today for $100 so it worked out.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

I got hooked up from the shop I ride with on Friday’s. Said he could do it before the ride tomorrow and ended up finishing and picked it up today.

TLN

by TLN

Never posted my Sprint, but here's my X1 Limited:
IMG_1246.jpg

fizzaz

by fizzaz

Just wanted to drop in my build.

Recent 8050 upgrade after having consistent shifting issues. I assume it was a mismatch between the Aerofly and the R8000 brifters but I can't be sure. Regardless, the 8050 is way better and really cleans up the cockpit for some more aero savings. I was in a hurry to get the build finished for a weekend race or I would have posted my process.
20190603_160506.jpg
Frame size 56cm
Handlebar: S-Works Aerofly
Stem: Kally Uno 120mm (stripped) w/ titanium bolts
Wheelset: LB 46
Crank: Rotor 3d+ Power2max 52-36
Cassette: R8000 11-30
Chain: HG-X11
Group: Ultegra di2 R8050
Bartape: Fabric Knurl
Saddle: S-works Power 143
Pedals: Ultegra R8000
Head Unit: Wahoo Bolt on F3 Mount

Total build on my luggage scale: 17lbs

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

fizzaz wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:43 pm
Just wanted to drop in my build.

Recent 8050 upgrade after having consistent shifting issues. I assume it was a mismatch between the Aerofly and the R8000 brifters but I can't be sure. Regardless, the 8050 is way better and really cleans up the cockpit for some more aero savings. I was in a hurry to get the build finished for a weekend race or I would have posted my process.

20190603_160506.jpg

Frame size 56cm
Handlebar: S-Works Aerofly
Stem: Kally Uno 120mm (stripped) w/ titanium bolts
Wheelset: LB 46
Crank: Rotor 3d+ Power2max 52-36
Cassette: R8000 11-30
Chain: HG-X11
Group: Ultegra di2 R8050
Bartape: Fabric Knurl
Saddle: S-works Power 143
Pedals: Ultegra R8000
Head Unit: Wahoo Bolt on F3 Mount

Total build on my luggage scale: 17lbs
Really digging the bike especially since its in the same colorway as mine which I don't see that often. What are the LB wheels? Curious as to what mine is weighing in at!

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

IMG_1849.jpg
62BE90DF-C8E9-4FBC-B984-9235CB1251A2.jpg
Since I got it to where I like it right now I'll post my mods as well.

- Allez Sprint 54cm
- S-Works Power 143mm
- S-Works 172.5 Carbon Crank arms
- Zipp SL Speed 100mm Stem
- Zipp SL79 Aero Bars 42mm
- Sram Force 22 F&R Derailleur and Shift Levers
- Sram Force 11-28 Cassette & Chain
- Praxis 52-36 rings
- Power2Max Power meter
- Shimano Ultegra Pedals
- Reynolds AR58 Wheelset
- Dura Ace 9000 Calipers
- Blackburn Carbon Bottle cages
- K-Edge Sport mount
- Supacaz super sticky tape
- Vittoria Corsa G 25c

Once these tires are done I still haven't decided if I'm going to put the Gp4000 from my stock rims or put my new set of 26c Turbo Cottons.

quadlt250

by quadlt250

First build

Wine tour on Kinlin 31t training wheels (and added Sram hydraulic brakes)Image

Mounted up some Conti 4K 28s for a road race w/ a gravel section (good clearance @~30mm width)Image

by Weenie

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk