201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mvcap

by mvcap

Thanks, great looking ride!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

mvcap wrote:Thanks, great looking ride!
Thanks! Sworks crank I hope will tie it all together. Later after i get a 11sp groupset either aerofly or aerofly vias

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sock3t

by Sock3t

The vias is for the venge.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Sock3t wrote:The vias is for the venge.
Well the 25mm rode bars that came on it

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Alright guys I just got my crank arms today and I'm trying to find the BB that I need for them. Trying to wrap this up tomorrow!Image

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

2x 6806 bearings and 2 c clips
Using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Nefarious86 wrote:2x 6806 bearings and 2 c clips
Yeah just found it....just debating if u want to buy the tools and do it or have the shop.

PaulH

by PaulH

I want to fit those cranks is there an external bottom bracket I can use ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

PaulH wrote:I want to fit those cranks is there an external bottom bracket I can use ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just used a BB30, Got the old one out with a hammer and screwdriver. Just pressed mine in with a rubber mallet and a socket. Messed up around the frame a little but saved me 70 on tools. ImageImage

silvalis

by silvalis

07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 am
I just used a BB30, Got the old one out with a hammer and screwdriver. Just pressed mine in with a rubber mallet and a socket. Messed up around the frame a little but saved me 70 on tools.
That sounds like a great way to damage your bb shell
Chasse patate

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

silvalis wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
I just used a BB30, Got the old one out with a hammer and screwdriver. Just pressed mine in with a rubber mallet and a socket. Messed up around the frame a little but saved me 70 on tools.
How so? I've worked on cars and used this method for bearings before. The socket for bearing and was smaller in diameter of the shell.

silvalis

by silvalis

07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 am
silvalis wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
How so? I've worked on cars and used this method for bearings before. The socket for bearing and was smaller in diameter of the shell.

This isn't a steel car, it's a much softer aluminium bb30 shell with much tighter tolerances and in a relatively high stress area that is subject to lateral loading. Assuming you didn't damage the bearing after whacking it with a rubber mallet and a metal socket, there's no guarantee that you didnt put the bearing in properly straight and slightly ovalise the bb shell. There's a reason why BB presses are presses with guide rods and not hammer in jobs.

You'll find out if it went in properly or not after a few hundred km - if it starts to creak.
Chasse patate

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

silvalis wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
silvalis wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:

This isn't a steel car, it's a much softer aluminium bb30 shell with much tighter tolerances and in a relatively high stress area that is subject to lateral loading. Assuming you didn't damage the bearing after whacking it with a rubber mallet and a metal socket, there's no guarantee that you didnt put the bearing in properly straight and slightly ovalise the bb shell. There's a reason why BB presses are presses with guide rods and not hammer in jobs.

You'll find out if it went in properly or not after a few hundred km - if it starts to creak.
I'm sure it will be fine, it has rings that are inside if those are flush with bearing then it more than likely in flush and straight.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

07stuntin6r wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:02 am
silvalis wrote:
07stuntin6r wrote:
silvalis wrote:

I'm sure it will be fine, it has rings that are inside if those are flush with bearing then it more than likely in flush and straight.

The point he's trying to make is that the aluminum shell is relatively soft and using a hammer to bang a steel bearing into an aluminum shell could very well damage the shell in a way that isn't going to be immediately visibly apparent without careful inspection.

The better cheap DIY way would have been to get a threaded rod, some large, thick washers, and some bolts and make a cheap press. That way there's much less risk of damage due to blunt force trauma.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

TLN

by TLN

Thinking of parting out my Allez Sprint X1 Limited in 61cm. If anyone is looking for full Sram Force groupset or 61cm frameset - DM me.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com