201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

From tour magazine test it's about as aero as the first Gen aero road bike. Not bad. Certainly better than classic shaped climber bike

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

ichobi wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:23 am
From tour magazine test it's about as aero as the first Gen aero road bike. Not bad. Certainly better than classic shaped climber bike

Pardon my ignorance, what is the first gen aero road bike?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

CAAD8FRED wrote:
ichobi wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:23 am

Pardon my ignorance, what is the first gen aero road bike?
Don’t worry about first generation Venge. Like I said, Allez Sprint is ~15 seconds faster in 40k next to traditional frame. That’s all you need to know :-)
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

thorerik

by thorerik

I have a 2018 Black/sparkling fork 56 Sprint frameset. I was hoping on using my Ultegra 6800 crankset, but even when i have installed BB30 to 24mm reducers the spindle is still to long.
What am i missing here?

Do i have to use some kind of bb30 spacers on both NDS/DS?

Thanks in advance for helping me complete my build.

Here is a picture:

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

thorerik wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:05 pm
I have a 2018 Black/sparkling fork 56 Sprint frameset. I was hoping on using my Ultegra 6800 crankset, but even when i have installed BB30 to 24mm reducers the spindle is still to long.
What am i missing here?

Here is a picture:
My guess is that it has something to do with the fact that the frame is OSBB, not BB30 so the BB30 reducers you're using aren't the right right size to go from OSBB down to Shimano spec. The frame should have come packaged with some cone type spacers to reduce the pressed in bearing down for Shimano.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The frame is bb30. They take a bare 6806 bearing into the shell.

https://www.kogel.cc/blogs/kbba/special ... -explained

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

thorerik

by thorerik

So i should just get som bb30 spacers to sit between the reducer and crank arms?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

thorerik wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 am
So i should just get som bb30 spacers to sit between the reducer and crank arms?
1) Why would you do that? Shimano spindles are 24mm in diameter.
2) You’ve probably done something completely wrong to have ~5mm of play.

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

Allez is indeed BB30. So you just need the normal Shimano HT BB30 to 24mm spacers. Nothing else.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I think he’s asking since there is 3-5mm of bare spindle exposed (as seen in the pic).

You need some 24mm ID spacers to sort that. Must move all over the place and will be f-ing your bearings at present.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Another thing, given that the little insert between the pinch bolts on the NDS crank is sticking out, my guess is the crank isn’t fully interfaced with the spindle. He might be able to take 1mm of play out just by preloading the cranks properly.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

As others have said, the Allez Sprint is in fact BB30. The OSBB thing is marketing from when Specialized had their priopriatary BB shell on their carbon bikes. On those, there was an aluminum insert that went in the carbon shell that made it BB30. So anything that says OSBB that has an AL insert is effectively BB30, including the Sprint, and I believe that applies to pretty much everything after 2010.

Personally, I went with a thread together outboard bearing BB. Specifically, the angular contact ones from Wheels Mfg. About 7,000mi on it so far and zero problems. Liked it so much I got one of their PF86 ones for my CX bike.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

kytyree

by kytyree

thorerik wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:05 pm
What am i missing here?

Here is a picture:
I just got done putting a 24mm shimano crank in a bb30 mtb. I ordered the kit made by Wheels Mfg, it comes with a collection of spacers to take up any slack. There is a piece for each side "the reducer" and then the collection of various spacers that are used to take up any play left. The spacers are nothing fancy, the hole in them is 24mm to match the cranks and then outer diameter matches up well with the reducers.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

EDIT: As TobinHatesYou suggest, Shimano Hollow tech II cranks spindle expect 90.5mm spacing, those BB86 and etc, might have 4mm extra width in dustcap (2mm perside) or some protuding lip seal outward of the shell.

those spacers work fine, but your bearing spacing is closer than Shimano anticipated.
BSA is 68mm wide, but bearing sits outboard at 86.5mm wide.
BB86 while bearing sits inside, it is already 86.5mm wide so no more spacers.
BB386 also have bearing inside with 86.5mm wide, it is also the correct width without spacers.
PF30, BB30 have bearing sit inside on the spacing of 68mm. This is where the slack come from if the spacer don't add the width. However, spacer on the picture looks to be plenty wide. It should be able to take away the width difference.
Get spacers if needed and keep using it, but if the bearings don't last long. Next time change the BB completely to something that put bearings wider apart.
Last edited by Hexsense on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com