201x Specialized Allez Sprint DSW and Gen2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

themidge

by themidge

The current Allez Sprint is pretty old now, by modern standards at least. Are we going to see a new one soon?

MaxQ

by MaxQ

IrrelevantD wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:10 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:44 am

I'm not sure if you have been following, but there's an inventory shortage. Specialized made a splash of 2019 Tarmac and Venge, disc only. I heard through the grapewine that Tarmac Pro SL6 rim frame is still available, even though it's not available on the website. If you are after rim frame, start looking at used Allez Sprint or pay premium for "Sagan collection" while supplies last. I'm not 100% sure whether 2019 Allez Sprint will be disc only, but unfotunately Specialized made a bold statement about going to disc frames only.

www.specialized.com/us/en/allez-sprint- ... 876-159121
From what I’ve heard, framsets will still be rim brake. Fully built bikes will be disc. No clue on the prices for the 2019 models they didn’t go into that, I’m going to guess they will still be $1200 and the Sagan is at a $500 premium.
Looks like Sagan is a $550 premium. Red Hook framesets are at $1500 for rim brake.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pyrahna

by pyrahna

themidge wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:05 pm
The current Allez Sprint is pretty old now, by modern standards at least. Are we going to see a new one soon?
It's going on 2 1/2 - 3 years old. That's about average for a life cycle. Still probably the best value for a bike that is going to be raced out there, and they have kept it interesting w/ all the limited paint jobs.

MediumSizedMonster

by MediumSizedMonster

nycxandy wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:20 pm
You’d be hard pressed to find that Sagan frame for sale. I’ve reached out to many dealers and they are super limited. My money is here for them to take but there aren’t any in stock in 49 in the U.S. as far as I know. If anyone knows of any leads, please shoot them over. I’m willing to pay the premium.
If you go on the Specialized website and "find a shop" and increase the radius to 200 miles and put in major area codes you might find one....

I was able to track one down that way. Then you just have to figure out how to have someone buy it locally and get it to you.

taodemon

by taodemon

This just arrived the other day. My wife has been pissed at me and the bike store since last year when we weren't able to get her the previous red hook frame. I think it is kind of wasted on her as she doesn't really ride and this is probably my last attempt at leaving her with no excuses. My consolation prize is that in a year or two my son should be tall enough to ride it.

Attachments
IMG_3007.jpg
IMG_3006.jpg
IMG_3005.jpg

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

^^^ Looks good. My local shop got one in as well... it looks good, better in person than I thought it would when I first saw the pics from the RHC race.

JonnyBax

by JonnyBax

Hey guys, planning on picking up a Sprint in the near future. Not sure, but I think I'm between a 49 and 52 and would welcome advice.

Height: 5'6" (168 cm)
Saddle height: 676 mm (from professional fit)
Current reach: 370 mm (49 Sprint: 375, 52 Sprint: 380)
Current stack: 540 (slammed but I can get lower) (49 Sprint: 502, 52 Sprint: 514)
Stem: 90 mm (I think I can go to 100)

I know the ride will be more aggressive than my current cyclocross TCX. My seat height is pretty short and I don't really want just 2" of seat post (cuz I'm vain). I also don't have an opportunity to try one at my LBS.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Edit: grammar

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

JonnyBax wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:46 pm
Hey guys, planning on picking up a Sprint in the near future. Not sure, but I think I'm between a 49 and 52 and would welcome advice.

Current stack: 540 (slammed but I can get lower) (49 Sprint: 502, 52 Sprint: 514)

I know the ride will be more aggressive than my current cyclocross TCX. My seat height is pretty short and I don't really want just 2" of seat post (cuz I'm vain). I also don't have an opportunity to try one at my LBS.

If your LBS doesn’t have a Sprint you can test, might try a Tarmac. Geometry is slightly more aggressive with the Sprint, but it’s pretty close.

My take on sizing if your in the middle would be to go smaller and compensate with a higher/longer stem. What frame and size is your current bike? Someone on here might be able to give you a good idea of the difference.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

JonnyBax wrote:

On a bike like this, the stack is going to be the critical dimension. With your current bars, how comfortable are you in the drops? Elbows at 90? Your bars probably have a 120mm or so, figure where the new bike will fit with that knowledge.
Stem,just adjust accordingly. It’ll have more twitchy steering then you CX with any length.

I’d go with the larger size for sizing and resale value.

JonnyBax

by JonnyBax

IrrelevantD wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:40 pm
JonnyBax wrote:

If your LBS doesn’t have a Sprint you can test, might try a Tarmac. Geometry is slightly more aggressive with the Sprint, but it’s pretty close.

My take on sizing if your in the middle would be to go smaller and compensate with a higher/longer stem. What frame and size is your current bike? Someone on here might be able to give you a good idea of the difference.
Thanks for the response! My LBS is pretty small (and more focused on MTB) and last I checked they only had a size 54 in the Tarmac. I'll go visit and see if they have gotten anything else.

I currently have a 2018 Giant TCX SLR 2 in a size small. I think this is pretty equitvalent to a 52. It fits OK, but does seem a tad large for me. There wasn't the option to go smaller when I purchased it, and I was a novice -- still am a novice I suppose.

JonnyBax

by JonnyBax

jfranci3 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:52 pm
JonnyBax wrote:

On a bike like this, the stack is going to be the critical dimension. With your current bars, how comfortable are you in the drops? Elbows at 90? Your bars probably have a 120mm or so, figure where the new bike will fit with that knowledge.
Stem,just adjust accordingly. It’ll have more twitchy steering then you CX with any length.

Thanks! I'm comfortable in the drops, but it's kind of a struggle to get really low. Like, I feel like I could get lower pretty easily, but the stem is already slammed (I'm pretty flexible through my back and hamstrings thanks to yoga). I have not yet experimented with a longer or more negative stem. I may eventually, but the plan was to keep this one a little more upright/comfortabel and then use the Sprint for more aggressive riding/racing.

I can get to 90 pretty easily, but it seems a little cramped, like my hands are too close to my chest when I get there. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be? And sorry, can you explain what you mean my bars have 120 mm?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

JonnyBax wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:03 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
JonnyBax wrote:

Thanks! I'm comfortable in the drops, but it's kind of a struggle to get really low. Like, I feel like I could get lower pretty easily, but the stem is already slammed (I'm pretty flexible through my back and hamstrings thanks to yoga). I have not yet experimented with a longer or more negative stem. I may eventually, but the plan was to keep this one a little more upright/comfortabel and then use the Sprint for more aggressive riding/racing.

I can get to 90 pretty easily, but it seems a little cramped, like my hands are too close to my chest when I get there. Maybe that's the way it's supposed to be? And sorry, can you explain what you mean my bars have 120 mm?
Your TCX has traditional road drop bars shaped like a hook. You normally use the top portion of the bars. If the bars are at an appropriate height, you can use the bottom portion for a 10-20min. The difference between top and bottom levels is anywhere from 80-150mm (the B dimension here - http://2011.pro-lite.net/images/stories ... _reach.jpg ). If youre ok only using the top portion of the bars or riding in the drops all the time, you can get a bike/stem with a lower stack, remove stem spacers, etc

Don’t worry about the Stem size number. The critical number is the total reach (frame+ stem + bars, considering hand position and hood position/shape). My bike has 391 reach, a 120mm stem, and 80mm reach = 590ish total. The Same with stack, stem angle, and bar angle. For this bike, the mission is clear - you’re going to slam-that-stem for looks, you’re not using it for 3 hour rides. Assume you’re buying a stem with any bike (everyone on this board has a box of stems or their buddy does). Assume you’re buying aero road bars too.

JonnyBax

by JonnyBax

jfranci3 wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:23 pm
JonnyBax wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:03 pm
jfranci3 wrote:
JonnyBax wrote:

Your TCX has traditional road drop bars shaped like a hook. You normally use the top portion of the bars. If the bars are at an appropriate height, you can use the bottom portion for a 10-20min. The difference between top and bottom levels is anywhere from 80-150mm (the B dimension here - http://2011.pro-lite.net/images/stories ... _reach.jpg ). If youre ok only using the top portion of the bars or riding in the drops all the time, you can get a bike/stem with a lower stack, remove stem spacers, etc

Don’t worry about the Stem size number. The critical number is the total reach (frame+ stem + bars, considering hand position and hood position/shape). My bike has 391 reach, a 120mm stem, and 80mm reach = 590ish total. The Same with stack, stem angle, and bar angle. For this bike, the mission is clear - you’re going to slam-that-stem for looks, you’re not using it for 3 hour rides. Assume you’re buying a stem with any bike (everyone on this board has a box of stems or their buddy does). Assume you’re buying aero road bars too.
Got it! Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond!

burger

by burger

So I just installed Etap on my sprint and I'm struggling with the front der. First the low limit screw was too long and rubbed on the crank. Realized it wasn't doing anything so took it out. Even with no low limit set the der. won't shift far enough inboard, in the low gear it rubs on the inside of the cage. Then it's incredibly difficult to set the high limit screw correctly, it either over shifts or undershifts. I've messed with the alignment and the height and nothing seems to work.

Has anyone struggled like this? I'm using a quarq riken with 11spd rings so I think it should work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nycxandy

by nycxandy

burger wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:24 am
So I just installed Etap on my sprint and I'm struggling with the front der. First the low limit screw was too long and rubbed on the crank. Realized it wasn't doing anything so took it out. Even with no low limit set the der. won't shift far enough inboard, in the low gear it rubs on the inside of the cage. Then it's incredibly difficult to set the high limit screw correctly, it either over shifts or undershifts. I've messed with the alignment and the height and nothing seems to work.

Has anyone struggled like this? I'm using a quarq riken with 11spd rings so I think it should work.
The Axeon team bike is an Allez Sprint with eTap so it does work.