XPEDO R-FORCE TI/TI TITANIUM ROAD PEDALS ...159 gms per pair

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
2lo8
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:32 am

by 2lo8

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:06 am
Marin wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:24 pm
Did you turn in the right direction? One side will have a left hand thread, don't ask me which one :D
Maybe not even that, this video says that Wellgo CroMo spindle nuts are right/left threaded, but Ti spindles are right threaded. I inquired Xpedo for service info and will report here when they reply. If both screws are regular right threaded, I'd try to replace these with Ti. Chances are slim I'll be able to find a left handed Ti screw. I wonder why Xpedo did not make all the steel parts out of Ti: springs, spring tension bolt, spring axle, inner race bolt are all steel, quite a bit to save if you have access to right tools to manufacture replacements.
That was my experience. I have steel Wellgo (same as XPEDO) MG-8 and rebranded MG-8 with Ti spindle. I was suprised when swapping the Ti spindles to the new bodies.
[6.6kg of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

by Weenie


User avatar
josemari220
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:52 pm

by josemari220

Hello. My xpedos are the basic version, with cr spindle, 210gr.
pedales xpedo 210.JPG
I have riden them for 7 years and about 42000km (26200ml) and still working flawless. Never serviced. smooth turning, no play in axles.
I like to walk with my bike shoes with no problem, so i have used standard Northwave mtb shoes. Last year I have optimized shoe weight with a pair of Bontrager RL, tuned soles to spd cleats.
zapatillas bontrager RL spd tuned.JPG
Road pedals are relatively heavy because the own pedal, and the cleats and bolts. Cleats worn quite fast and sometimes broke. Some of my friends have broken while riding,
Theese xpedos+cleats+bolts are light durable and cheap. Now with road shoes, 210gr lighter. Very happy with them.
Never used road pedals, Look type or similar, so i can´t tell about power transfer, etc. Theese spedos work like shimano mtb pedal. Good click and unclick. little play with the body when clipped. If soles are rigid, can´t feel any flex because the small surface of the pedal. For me they are almost perfect.

User avatar
Klaster_1
Posts: 775
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 am
Location: Russia

by Klaster_1

The inner seal has popped out of my left XRF06TT. I tried to push it back, but there's no space for it to fit :noidea: The pedal body has a very minute horizontal play, the other pedal does not exhibit this. Any ideas? Do I have to disassemble the whole pedal in order to put the seal back?
IMG_20190606_115944.jpg
Update:
The body retaining screw was loose. I've disassembled the pedal, but still can't figure out how to fit the seal back.
IMG_20190606_122246.jpg
This is completely different from previous revision posted up the thread:
IMG_20190606_123444.jpg
Looks like inner bearings moved inside, I'll try to press those back in.

User avatar
andreszucs
in the industry
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 am

by andreszucs

josemari220 wrote:Hello. My xpedos are the basic version, with cr spindle, 210gr.
pedales xpedo 210.JPG
I have riden them for 7 years and about 42000km (26200ml) and still working flawless. Never serviced. smooth turning, no play in axles.
I like to walk with my bike shoes with no problem, so i have used standard Northwave mtb shoes. Last year I have optimized shoe weight with a pair of Bontrager RL, tuned soles to spd cleats.
zapatillas bontrager RL spd tuned.JPG
Road pedals are relatively heavy because the own pedal, and the cleats and bolts. Cleats worn quite fast and sometimes broke. Some of my friends have broken while riding,
Theese xpedos+cleats+bolts are light durable and cheap. Now with road shoes, 210gr lighter. Very happy with them.
Never used road pedals, Look type or similar, so i can´t tell about power transfer, etc. Theese spedos work like shimano mtb pedal. Good click and unclick. little play with the body when clipped. If soles are rigid, can´t feel any flex because the small surface of the pedal. For me they are almost perfect.
I’m wondering why they are so much heavier than mine? Is that steel spindle?

I also use these for Road, and the M-force 8 on my MTB, both with Titanium spindle. I agree with everything you said, I also use a Mtb shoe since it’s easier to walk around, same shoe for both bikes...so simple. And yes, very durable, neat looking, light and fair price.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User avatar
Klaster_1
Posts: 775
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 am
Location: Russia

by Klaster_1

To fix the issue, I gently tapped the inner bearing back with a socket head for seal to have space to fit into. Then I reassembled the pedal. This thing is dead simple. The left pedal retaining screw has right handed thread (screws in clockwise). For some reason, it unscrewed and allowed the inner bearing to slide, which in turn moved the seal. @StanK probably had exactly the same issue with his XRF06TT.

alibudia1712
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:09 am
Location: Bandung
Contact:

by alibudia1712

andreszucs wrote:Got these so cheap...gave me room to play around!

Tuned R-force with new grease, light bearings....light KCNC chainring Nut to the spindle and Proti FFR tension adjuster bolt
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
do you remove 1 retainer spring? is there any difference when using 2?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk


User avatar
andreszucs
in the industry
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 am

by andreszucs

alibudia1712 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:42 pm
andreszucs wrote:Got these so cheap...gave me room to play around!

Tuned R-force with new grease, light bearings....light KCNC chainring Nut to the spindle and Proti FFR tension adjuster bolt
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
do you remove 1 retainer spring? is there any difference when using 2?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
I recall having one retainer 'clip' to make sure the outer bearing stays in place. Now for the space between the KCNC reversed thread nut and the bearing I found on ebay very thin washers to fill the gap, starter fitting them until I could find the propoer thinckness to stop the side play.

NOTE: the weight displayed on this picture was with full ceramic bearings, that was years ago. They didn't work well actually, eventually I had a fealure on one of them, broke the out casing ring and all the ball bearing came out. Back to steel bearings but the weight is still very very low. I totally recomend the KCNC Nuts, way lighter than the original nuts and looks really good compared to the plastic ugly covers.
Last edited by andreszucs on Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

alibudia1712
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:09 am
Location: Bandung
Contact:

by alibudia1712

allright then. i'll try to swap the spindle first from the other xpedo m force i have (with Ti Spindle). mine now come with a Crmo spindle. the kcnc nut is interesting to me. I think i need to replace the plastic cover with those nuts. looks good

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk



User avatar
andreszucs
in the industry
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 am

by andreszucs

alibudia1712 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:40 pm
allright then. i'll try to swap the spindle first from the other xpedo m force i have (with Ti Spindle). mine now come with a Crmo spindle. the kcnc nut is interesting to me. I think i need to replace the plastic cover with those nuts. looks good Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
Note that the KNCN nuts won't fully seal the gap, but since the original steel bearings are 'sealed' themselves, its not a problem.

User avatar
andreszucs
in the industry
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 am

by andreszucs

alibudia1712 wrote:allright then. i'll try to swap the spindle first from the other xpedo m force i have (with Ti Spindle). mine now come with a Crmo spindle. the kcnc nut is interesting to me. I think i need to replace the plastic cover with those nuts. looks good Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
These are the washers:
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

alibudia1712
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:09 am
Location: Bandung
Contact:

by alibudia1712

failed spindle swapping today...ImageImageImage

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk


User avatar
andreszucs
in the industry
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:15 am

by andreszucs

alibudia1712 wrote:failed spindle swapping today...ImageImageImage

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
Bummer! I have the same pedals and yes I remember noticing the difference. If you really want a version with Ti spindle I’d recommend keeping your eyes on eBay doing some weekly searches until you find one!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post