XPEDO R-FORCE TI/TI TITANIUM ROAD PEDALS ...159 gms per pair

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

saw these on ebay....wow, 159 grams a pair! Anyone have feedback on these?
Attachments
a1_1.jpg

maxxevv

by maxxevv

cyclemanpat wrote:saw these on ebay....wow, 159 grams a pair! Anyone have feedback on these?

The old Shimano DuraAce SPD pedals ( 71XX series) weighed around that range too if I remembered correctly. But the stack height is way high, and you'll need a good shoe to prevent hot spots on the feet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racingtiger

by racingtiger

Yeah I raced a pedal very similar to that for 7 years. Trust me you dont want them. Go with Times, they're awesome.
NOW WITH MORE FLAVOR THAN KOOL-AID!

I'm 129 lbs! How's that for light!

jer

by jer

When they say things like "DU bearings," that means bushings. As in “wears out in half a season,” but that’s OK because at least they have extra friction!

racingtiger

by racingtiger

I know the Mtn bike Xpedos wear out in a half season, literally(yes they use bushings to save weight). Everyone i talked to that has used any of their pedals said they are an absolute awesome race day pedal....but thats it.
NOW WITH MORE FLAVOR THAN KOOL-AID!

I'm 129 lbs! How's that for light!

shr1nk

by shr1nk

I notice these have been updated to model number XRF06TT with 3 replaceable cartridge bearings instead of the 2 DU bearings in model RF-S1A but look identical. Will this solve the issues with these pedals? Replacement bearings are A$12 for 2 with seals.

mrfish

by mrfish

Main issue with this type of pedal (I used to ride road SPDs) is that the cleat is so small that any wear gives rocking / movement, which at best will be irritating, at worst loses power and bu****s your ankles and knees.

Bottom line, bigger cleats are worthwhile. I am a fan of Time RX series pedals (the ones before the iclic) with the metal and plastic cleat. All-round an excellent pedal, with a large stable cleat with metal to metal contact which does not rock as it wears, easy click in / out, nice stable bits for walking round, bearings that last for ever and low weigh at least in the Ti version. The advantage over Look / Shimano is that the cleat does not wear out the pedal body if you ride in bad weather.

shr1nk

by shr1nk

Thanks mrfish, had wondered about stability of the platform.

Have also looked at Xpedo's Keo compatible, magnesium body/titanium spindle pedal at 190 gm/pair.

Would think that the pedal body as well as the cleat would wear on those... will look at Time but anticipate extra $$$.

rayms

by rayms

mrfish wrote: I am a fan of Time RX series pedals (the ones before the iclic) with the metal and plastic cleat. All-round an excellent pedal, with a large stable cleat with metal to metal contact which does not rock as it wears, easy click in / out, nice stable bits for walking round, bearings that last for ever and low weigh at least in the Ti version. The advantage over Look / Shimano is that the cleat does not wear out the pedal body if you ride in bad weather.

People are saying these are not the best for getting in and out of for commuting. What would you recommend in a lightweight pedal? What about the Shimano PD-M540
with aftermarket titanium spindles?

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

I've used these for back to back century rides and they are still going strong.

176g

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/08/ ... als_136199

only thing is you need to use some paraffin to keep the cleats from squeaking

Qman

by Qman

The Xpedo Thrust 8 Ti have lower stack height, wider base, and use Keo compatible cleats. They are also very light and a reasonable cost. The body is composite and they use a titanium wear plate .They also use proper deep groove ball bearings, three per pedal. Mine work very well. They're worth a look.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

Qman wrote:The Xpedo Thrust 8 Ti have lower stack height, wider base, and use Keo compatible cleats. They are also very light and a reasonable cost. The body is composite and they use a titanium wear plate .They also use proper deep groove ball bearings, three per pedal. Mine work very well. They're worth a look.

loving them !!
http://eliflap.it/

uraz

by uraz

Xpedo Thrust 8 Ti
Last edited by uraz on Sun May 24, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RussellS

by RussellS

rayms wrote: for commuting. What would you recommend in a lightweight pedal?

Not sure about the lightweight aspect, but any Shimano brand SPD mountain bike pedal is perfect for commuting. Double sided models. Combined with Shimano sandals its perfect for commuting. In the winter put on a few pair of wool socks and plastic bags and neoprene booties. That will work in about any temperature. Guessing someone sells titanium spindle SPD pedals. Doubt Shimano does from the factory.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Got mine on ebay at crazy nice price. Tuning it up with Proti FFR Ti bolts, lighter bearings, new grease and nut. Expected weight will be around 151g.

Will be using as a MTB pedal with Shima SPD cleats, they work better than the Xpedo Cleats (I've tested)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com