Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
kode54

by kode54

to young riders, the Bonka is too warm...but like you, i'm never warm in the winter. i wore the Bonka this morning with a thin base layer and it was just right. morning temps in the wee early morning was 41 F with some slight chilly wind. anything from the mid 30s, i wear the Bonka jacket with another windproof shell on top and change the base layer from thin to a medium thickness. i agree that the Fugu jacket was better, although it was bulky. i actually like the Bonka thickness since i can add or subtract layers as i need to.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

Thank you @c60rider and @kode54! I feel the cold terribly, and wondered if for people like us the Bonka would work well in slightly warmer temperatures than quoted.

By the time the temp hits 5c degrees, I struggle to keep my hands, feet and face warm enough to ride anyway.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 pm
RTW wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:15 pm
KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:36 pm
I’ve actually never bought an Assos jacket because I can’t figure out which one for which temps. I have to think there are many, many others with this same issue. I just bought a Gore jacket instead because they make it very clear.
There is a whole thread dedicated to it here! Nevermind. Perhaps when you get cold in the GORE jacket..... :shock: :lol: :wink:
I don’t know, I saw several people pointing out how needed this information is and how hard to understand the name of Assos products is, but no response agreeing and saying it would be changed to make things clearer. Here’s an example. We now have something called Fall. Is that Fall in Greenland, Texas, or Africa?
Good point. The seasons are based on the climate where the brand is based. Switzerland, central Europe.
Last edited by RTW on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

bilwit wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:09 pm
my problem with Assos is that their horrendous designs are stuck in the 90s or early 2000s..

seriously, what the hell is going on here?
https://dbyvw4eroffpi.cloudfront.net/pr ... to-fit.jpg
Well those jackets are discontinued and are a 12 year old design (or there abouts)....... So it is a bit like saying that Specialized bikes look at bit old fashioned based on this: https://www.certini.co.uk/21242/product ... FbEALw_wcB
Last edited by RTW on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

c60rider wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:49 am
I know RTW said the Bonka is too warm for anything over 5 degrees but personally it's too cold for me at anything under about 5! I use that one, coupled with a winter long sleeved underlayer in temperatures of 5 to 10 degrees, yes I'm always cold! The Fugu jacket that Assos never seem to have replaced is what I use below 5 and colder. Now that is a brilliant jacket and I wonder why Assos dropped it and never replaced it. The Bonka is not a direct replacement to it in my experience.
Oh I am doing the same, but I like flexiblity. I always wear base layers. Rarely do I use the 'Deep Winter' one though. The Early Winter is enough for me.

When it gets really cold, I will wear the Bonka jacket with an early winter base layer, and a ClimaSchutz shell over the top. Mille tights, Bonka gloves and using the neck gator, plus winter cap.

What you have highlighted is the difficulty we have. It is very difficult to give a temperature range for any product because people experience the cold differently. I run warm, so the Bonka for me is too warm over 5 degrees and I rarely need the Deep Winter base layer. That's why the guide is Spring/Fall, Winter, Deep Winter (Winter Ultraz) and Summer. People roughly know what these seasons mean in general terms, and if you live in a territory where distinct seasons aren't a thing - please take that into account.

We make products to allow everyone to be comfortable and perform at their best on the bike. Because of variance in conditions and peoples requirements, this leads to lots of products.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

It all also depends on:

1. How hard you are riding
2. If you tend to stop and take photos / stop for a coffee (you will get cold doing this and thicker clothing will be needed).

guyc

by guyc

Your naming conventions are still mental

Milletights
HabutightsMille
Habutights

Wtf.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

guyc wrote:Your naming conventions are still mental

Milletights
HabutightsMille
Habutights

Wtf.
Hahaha....so true. But fantastic products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

guyc wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:21 am

Milletights
HabutightsMille
Habutights

Wtf.
I cannot be held responsible for this! We are a company in transition..... :lol: :beerchug:

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

guyc wrote:

Milletights - Cheap and cheerful, slightly realxed fit - Nippy weather

HabutightsMille - Warmer version of the above.

Habutights - More aero fit than the Mille, more technical item (double layers over the knees) - Freezing conditions

Wtf.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

ryanw wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:48 am
guyc wrote:

Habutights - More aero fit than the Mille, more technical item (double layers over the knees) - Freezing conditions

Wtf.
Oh Ryan - you were so close to winning free product too. But this isn't correct

Listed in price order:

MilleTights - Slightly relaxed cut with the chamois further forward for a more upright position. Really cold weather (Winter Ultraz / Bonka / Deep Winter category)
HabuTightsMille - Less insolated tights than the above (single layer, not double layer). Cold weather (Winter / Habu / Early Winter category)
HabuTights - More aero fit, more compressive than the HabuTightsMille. Same conditions (Winter / Habu / Early Winter category)
BonkaTights - More aero fit, more compressive than the MilleTight. Very technical. (Winter Ultraz / Bonka / Deep Winter category)

Listed in temperature Order.

HabuTightsMille (or) HabuTights
MilleTights (or) BonkaTights

'Mille' denotes the product family - we have 3 going forward - Mille GT, Equipe RS, 113/Cento

Habu and Bonka are names for clima ranges. Habu is early winter. Bonka is deep winter.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

RTW wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:31 am
ryanw wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:48 am
guyc wrote:

Wtf.
Oh Ryan - you were so close to winning free product too. But this isn't correct

Listed in price order:

MilleTights - Slightly relaxed cut with the chamois further forward for a more upright position. Really cold weather (Winter Ultraz / Bonka / Deep Winter category)
HabuTightsMille - Less insolated tights than the above (single layer, not double layer). Cold weather (Winter / Habu / Early Winter category)
HabuTights - More aero fit, more compressive than the HabuTightsMille. Same conditions (Winter / Habu / Early Winter category)
BonkaTights - More aero fit, more compressive than the MilleTight. Very technical. (Winter Ultraz / Bonka / Deep Winter category)

Listed in temperature Order.

HabuTightsMille (or) HabuTights
MilleTights (or) BonkaTights

'Mille' denotes the product family - we have 3 going forward - Mille GT, Equipe RS, 113/Cento

Habu and Bonka are names for clima ranges. Habu is early winter. Bonka is deep winter.
We're both wrong.......

Listed in price order:

HabuTightsMille - Less insolated tights than the below (single layer, not double layer). Cold weather (Winter / Habu / Early Winter category)
MilleTights - Slightly relaxed cut with the chamois further forward for a more upright position. Really cold weather (Winter / Habu / Early Winter category)
HabuTights - More aero fit, more compressive than the MilleTights. Really cold weather (Winter / Habu / Early Winter category)
BonkaTights - More aero fit, more compressive than the MilleTight. Very technical. Full on bloody freezing (Winter Ultraz / Bonka / Deep Winter category)

That is from comparing garment construction and materials used. The MilleTights & HabuTights appear to be indentical apart from cut / fit.

The BonkaTights definitelty have a more advanced / technical construction to all others.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Correct. I swapped the price point on the HabuTightsMille and the MilleTights BUT you have changed other things too which is misleading.

Listed in price order:

HabuTightsMille - Slightly relaxed cut with the chamois further forward for a more upright position. Our cheapest tight (single layer, not double layer). Cold weather (Winter / Habu / Early Winter category)

MilleTights - Slightly relaxed cut with the chamois further forward for a more upright position. Really cold weather (Winter Ultraz / Bonka / Winter category)

BonkaTights - More aero fit, more compressive than the MilleTight. Very technical. (Winter Ultraz / Bonka / Winter category)

The Mille tight is the same temperature range as the Bonka tight. It can be considered the cheaper option.

The HabuTightMille is the same temperature ranges as the Habu tight. It can be considered the cheaper option.

On our site I have selected '3.4 Early Winter' https://www.assos.com/men/knickers-and- ... rly-winter
On our site I have selected '4.4 Winter' https://www.assos.com/men/knickers-and- ... 4.4-winter

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Ah, my bad! I now see that the MilleTights uses your RX Heavy fabrics and the HabuTights use the RX Medium fabrics.

Why do the HabuTights demand a £75 increase over the MilleTights if they don't provide the same insulation, surely a more aero fit can't negate this? You would always assume a warmer garment would have a higher price tag?

Genuine question, not trying to be a dick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mag

by mag

You should make some (interactive) tables or map showing which product belongs to which temperature range, fit info, body part it's intended for, intended placement in the layering system.. whatever. ;-)
Something based those pics posted by TonyM at page 15, but in a consolidated form