Page 17 of 80

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:08 am
by ryanw
RTW wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:04 am
For me, the Bonka is used in weather where it is barely above freezing when you go out. I have used it in -6 degrees, but I would say unless it it below 5 degrees it is too warm. The Mille GT Winter Ultraz Jacket should be the same. I say should because the weather hasn't been cold enough for me to put that jacket on yet to ride it (it is a new design).

The Mille GT Winter Jacket would be my go to for anything between 5 degrees and 12 degrees.
I'll pop into SigmaSports and try a few on. I run pretty hot, so maybe the Mille GT Winter Jacket will be enough...

Any big differences between the Bonka & Mille Ultraz?

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:08 am
by Weenie

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:11 am
by RTW
The Mille Ultraz uses our new membranes (NEOS) and the aesthetic is different. The price point is also lower, so it isn't a direct replacement. The Bonka is discontinued (aside from ProfBlack), so you might be able to find end of line bargains.

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:13 am
by RTW
guyc wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:06 am

This is a very good buy at the moment:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Assos/ ... acket/EISR

Extra 10% off that makes it £126.
A very under-rated garment. Also as warm as the Bonka, but without the built in neck gator.

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:34 am
by ryanw
RTW wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:13 am
guyc wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:06 am

This is a very good buy at the moment:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Assos/ ... acket/EISR

Extra 10% off that makes it £126.
A very under-rated garment. Also as warm as the Bonka, but without the built in neck gator.

Ordered. Looks like a great jacket! Went for a large since read it comes up a bit big.

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:42 am
by ryanw
Just seen Wiggle have given me 20% off so the new Mille Ultraz is £208 and normal Mille Winter is £172...

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:56 am
by LionelB
RTW wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:13 am
guyc wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:06 am

This is a very good buy at the moment:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Assos/ ... acket/EISR

Extra 10% off that makes it £126.
A very under-rated garment. Also as warm as the Bonka, but without the built in neck gator.
If it was not black I would have one. Will stick with my Red Airjack for yet another season and enjoy the Michael Jackson look.

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:58 am
by GaBa
ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:38 am
I'm 6ft, 85kg, 40-42" chest but like my kit tight... You're a bit taller than me, so I'm probably a little more boxy, so XL should work.

I'm normally a large in jackets and M/L in jerseys (Rapha, Maap, BlackSheep).
I’m 6ft as well but weigh ca. 10kg less. I have all my jackets and jerseys in size M. Not sure what my chest circumference is though.

Edit: obviously talking about Assos garments :)

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:36 pm
by KevinM
I’ve actually never bought an Assos jacket because I can’t figure out which one for which temps. I have to think there are many, many others with this same issue. I just bought a Gore jacket instead because they make it very clear.

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:15 pm
by RTW
KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:36 pm
I’ve actually never bought an Assos jacket because I can’t figure out which one for which temps. I have to think there are many, many others with this same issue. I just bought a Gore jacket instead because they make it very clear.
There is a whole thread dedicated to it here! Nevermind. Perhaps when you get cold in the GORE jacket..... :shock: :lol: :wink:

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 pm
by KevinM
RTW wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:15 pm
KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:36 pm
I’ve actually never bought an Assos jacket because I can’t figure out which one for which temps. I have to think there are many, many others with this same issue. I just bought a Gore jacket instead because they make it very clear.
There is a whole thread dedicated to it here! Nevermind. Perhaps when you get cold in the GORE jacket..... :shock: :lol: :wink:
I don’t know, I saw several people pointing out how needed this information is and how hard to understand the name of Assos products is, but no response agreeing and saying it would be changed to make things clearer. Here’s an example. We now have something called Fall. Is that Fall in Greenland, Texas, or Africa?

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:09 pm
by bilwit
my problem with Assos is that their horrendous designs are stuck in the 90s or early 2000s..

seriously, what the hell is going on here?
https://dbyvw4eroffpi.cloudfront.net/pr ... to-fit.jpg

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:26 pm
by kookie
KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 pm
I don’t know, I saw several people pointing out how needed this information is and how hard to understand the name of Assos products is, but no response agreeing and saying it would be changed to make things clearer. Here’s an example. We now have something called Fall. Is that Fall in Greenland, Texas, or Africa?
Not sure if it still exists, Assos had temperature ranges for each season. Do a search for "assos als climarange'.

Climarange
Summer: >20*C
Spring/Fall: 12*C-22*C
Early Winter: 6*C-14*C
Winter: <6*C

My Adjustment for me in Canada
ShaSha: Summer: > 18*C
Tiburu: Fall/Spring: 9*C - 18*C
Habu: Early Winter: 0*C - 9*
Bonka: Winter: -9*C - 0*C
Extreme Winter: < -9*C

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:43 pm
by KevinM
kookie wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:26 pm
KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 pm
I don’t know, I saw several people pointing out how needed this information is and how hard to understand the name of Assos products is, but no response agreeing and saying it would be changed to make things clearer. Here’s an example. We now have something called Fall. Is that Fall in Greenland, Texas, or Africa?
Not sure if it still exists, Assos had temperature ranges for each season. Do a search for "assos als climarange'.

Climarange
Summer: >20*C
Spring/Fall: 12*C-22*C
Early Winter: 6*C-14*C
Winter: <6*C

My Adjustment for me in Canada
ShaSha: Summer: > 18*C
Tiburu: Fall/Spring: 9*C - 18*C
Habu: Early Winter: 0*C - 9*
Bonka: Winter: -9*C - 0*C
Extreme Winter: < -9*C
This is super helpful. Thank you!

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:47 pm
by KevinM
bilwit wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:09 pm
my problem with Assos is that their horrendous designs are stuck in the 90s or early 2000s..

seriously, what the hell is going on here?
https://dbyvw4eroffpi.cloudfront.net/pr ... to-fit.jpg
Ha! I actually love those. What dies that say about my age? 😂

I’m an Assos lover and own about 10 pairs of bibs across 4 ranges, but their jackets are just a complete mystery to me. And I must add that even though I try to sell their bibs to everyone I meet, snarky responses from Assos reps don’t exactly encourage me to go do the extra work to try to figure out the unnecessarily complex naming conventions for $250 jackets on my own! :noidea:

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:47 pm
by Weenie

Re: Assos apparel questions

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:56 pm
by kode54
yeah. i agree, although through trial and error, I have gotten most of their gear dialed in for my needs.

I use Assos bibs almost entirely and can comfortably choose between the different naming schemes for my rides. the jackets take a bit longer to get correct, although when its cold out and with changing weather, i almost always reach for Assos gear. it just performs well. all seasons for bottoms, but Winter, Fall and Spring...I have some type of Assos top on.

its a shame that most bike shops around me doesn't carry them. the closest one is in another state so trying them on or checking out the fabric, etc is out of the question. now that most online stores like Competitive Cyclist carries them, I can try them since they have a great return policy.

i'm older as well...but I surely don't like any of the jerseys they make because of their designs. when Assos came out with their ProfBlack series, you couldn't mess with that....a good design since its clean and minimal.
KevinM wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:47 pm
bilwit wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:09 pm
my problem with Assos is that their horrendous designs are stuck in the 90s or early 2000s..

seriously, what the hell is going on here?
https://dbyvw4eroffpi.cloudfront.net/pr ... to-fit.jpg
Ha! I actually love those. What dies that say about my age? 😂

I’m an Assos lover and own about 10 pairs of bibs across 4 ranges, but their jackets are just a complete mystery to me. And I must add that even though I try to sell their bibs to everyone I meet, snarky responses from Assos reps don’t exactly encourage me to go do the extra work to try to figure out the unnecessarily complex naming conventions for $250 jackets on my own! :noidea: