Assos apparel questions

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
Kjetil
Posts: 2356
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Hamar, Norway
Contact:

by Kjetil

I have some old ones. The ones that were /7 didn’t breathe well. The /4 ones were very good, I much prefer them to any wool blend. I only have one /3 and that’s the hot summer “net“ version which does the job very well.

I expect the new ones to be great. First up is a 1/3 with sleeves.
Last edited by Kjetil on Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie


User avatar
guyc
Posts: 1331
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 am
Location: Hampshire, England
Contact:

by guyc

I have a couple of last year's 2/3 (long and short sleeve) and they're brilliant. Not cheap but I'd expect them to last a long long time.

kode54
Posts: 1980
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm

by kode54

guyc wrote:I have a couple of last year's 2/3 (long and short sleeve) and they're brilliant. Not cheap but I'd expect them to last a long long time.
My /4 and /7 are still going strong. Hoping that the /3 series goes on sale in the next 4-5 months.
- Factor 02 VAM Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Factor LS Disc + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs
- Allied Able + DA9170 + Enve G27 CK CL hubs --> outgoing

wolflikeme
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:13 pm
Location: Bay Area

by wolflikeme

My wife bought me a pair of Equipe RS S9 bibs...wow. By far the most comfortable bib that I own.
Canyon Aeroad - Retired
Sworks Venge - Rebuild Soon
Sworks Roubaix Team - Current viewtopic.php?f=10&t=162821

tepextate
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:27 am

by tepextate

Does anybody know if the T Equipe Evo and RS S9 and RSR S9 all have the same chamois/insert inside of them? I'm finding it really difficult to decipher their website. My interpretation is that the T Equipe Evo uses the older S7 insert, whereas the RS and RSR S9 share a new S9 insert?

The insert in the T. Equipe Evo doesn't work for me, but I'm looking to try some of their other inserts. Have a Cento in my cart and if the RS S9 does indeed have a different insert, I may try that as well.

Sammutd88
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:14 am

by Sammutd88

The Cento is the same insert basically, just 2mm thicker and has the "kukupenthouse" which some like and some hate. What's the issue with the insert? All assos chamois are similar shape, so it depends what's "not working". The equipe insert works for most....hence why I'm asking. Might be a sizing issue.

tepextate
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:27 am

by tepextate

Sammutd88 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:04 am
The Cento is the same insert basically, just 2mm thicker and has the "kukupenthouse" which some like and some hate. What's the issue with the insert? All assos chamois are similar shape, so it depends what's "not working". The equipe insert works for most....hence why I'm asking. Might be a sizing issue.
Hey, thanks for that feedback. At the risk of sounding crass, the T Equipe Evo rides up my crack and leaves me with a "wedgie" when I'm out of the saddle or off the bike. Not a huge deal, but it's a little uncomfortable and doesn't happen with my other bibs. I'm fairly confident that the sizing is correct, as I fall solidly in the range for my size (5'8", 140lb, taking a size small). Although I have a long torso, the straps don't feel too tight or anything, so I'm not sure what's driving the wedgie.

As such, I'm wondering if I'd have better luck with either the RS/RSR or the Cento.

Sammutd88
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:14 am

by Sammutd88

tepextate wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:19 am
Sammutd88 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:04 am
The Cento is the same insert basically, just 2mm thicker and has the "kukupenthouse" which some like and some hate. What's the issue with the insert? All assos chamois are similar shape, so it depends what's "not working". The equipe insert works for most....hence why I'm asking. Might be a sizing issue.
Hey, thanks for that feedback. At the risk of sounding crass, the T Equipe Evo rides up my crack and leaves me with a "wedgie" when I'm out of the saddle or off the bike. Not a huge deal, but it's a little uncomfortable and doesn't happen with my other bibs. I'm fairly confident that the sizing is correct, as I fall solidly in the range for my size (5'8", 140lb, taking a size small). Although I have a long torso, the straps don't feel too tight or anything, so I'm not sure what's driving the wedgie.

As such, I'm wondering if I'd have better luck with either the RS/RSR or the Cento.
Fair enough. There are some people on here that know Assos much more than I do, but I think you'd do well to try an XS. Sounds like there's excess material, causing the bunching. Maybe I'm wrong though. Difficult to try unless you can try them on in a store though.

tepextate
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:27 am

by tepextate

Sammutd88 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:30 am
tepextate wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:19 am
Sammutd88 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:04 am
The Cento is the same insert basically, just 2mm thicker and has the "kukupenthouse" which some like and some hate. What's the issue with the insert? All assos chamois are similar shape, so it depends what's "not working". The equipe insert works for most....hence why I'm asking. Might be a sizing issue.
Hey, thanks for that feedback. At the risk of sounding crass, the T Equipe Evo rides up my crack and leaves me with a "wedgie" when I'm out of the saddle or off the bike. Not a huge deal, but it's a little uncomfortable and doesn't happen with my other bibs. I'm fairly confident that the sizing is correct, as I fall solidly in the range for my size (5'8", 140lb, taking a size small). Although I have a long torso, the straps don't feel too tight or anything, so I'm not sure what's driving the wedgie.

As such, I'm wondering if I'd have better luck with either the RS/RSR or the Cento.
Fair enough. There are some people on here that know Assos much more than I do, but I think you'd do well to try an XS. Sounds like there's excess material, causing the bunching. Maybe I'm wrong though. Difficult to try unless you can try them on in a store though.
Yeah, the excess material would make sense, but I'm solidly in the small size, and I don't have a skinny bum or anything for my build! If I belonged in an XS, I don't know what the guys lighter than me would take. :lol:

tepextate
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:27 am

by tepextate

Sammutd88 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:30 am
Fair enough. There are some people on here that know Assos much more than I do, but I think you'd do well to try an XS. Sounds like there's excess material, causing the bunching. Maybe I'm wrong though. Difficult to try unless you can try them on in a store though.
After spending some time reading through this entire thread, I can say that I shouldn't have been so quick to dismiss your thoughtful feedback. Although their sizing guide seems to recommend a size small given my stats, it seems like some of the folks that are taking a size XS would also be an S if they followed Assos' feedback. Guess I should give an XS a shot and see how it works. What doesn't make sense to me is that I know I'm not the smallest guy, so if I'm taking an XS, what are the lighter guys with classic climber builds taking? :)

Height: 172.5cm / 5'7.5", although with short legs and long torso (size S per their size chart)
Weight: 63.5kg/140 lb (size S per their size chart)
Hips: 89cm / 35" (size XS per their size chart)
Waist: 75cm / 29.5" (size small per their size chart)

RTW
in the industry
Posts: 3617
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:32 pm

by RTW

Definitely think XS would be a better bet.

The Equipe EVO and Equipe RS have similar pads, but the aren't the same. Pretty close though.

Sammutd88
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:14 am

by Sammutd88

tepextate wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:35 pm
Sammutd88 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:30 am
Fair enough. There are some people on here that know Assos much more than I do, but I think you'd do well to try an XS. Sounds like there's excess material, causing the bunching. Maybe I'm wrong though. Difficult to try unless you can try them on in a store though.
After spending some time reading through this entire thread, I can say that I shouldn't have been so quick to dismiss your thoughtful feedback. Although their sizing guide seems to recommend a size small given my stats, it seems like some of the folks that are taking a size XS would also be an S if they followed Assos' feedback. Guess I should give an XS a shot and see how it works. What doesn't make sense to me is that I know I'm not the smallest guy, so if I'm taking an XS, what are the lighter guys with classic climber builds taking? :)

Height: 172.5cm / 5'7.5", although with short legs and long torso (size S per their size chart)
Weight: 63.5kg/140 lb (size S per their size chart)
Hips: 89cm / 35" (size XS per their size chart)
Waist: 75cm / 29.5" (size small per their size chart)
I only knew because I'm your height but significantly heavier, and I wear a Medium. :P

Post Reply