Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

jgman wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 11:30 am
Im 182cm and 78kg and I wear size small in Assos bibs. Best to order two sizes and keep the one that fits best.
Small at 78kg? How is this possible? I am the same height (183 cm) and weight (77 kg) and for bibs I wear medium in Mille or Cento lines, and large in Equipe line. And I like my kit to fit very snug. For a lean guy my proportions are very average - I have a decent upper body so it's not like my lower half is bigger than average. Do you have a skinny ass and legs and a massive chest and shoulders?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

jgman

by jgman

Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:24 pm
jgman wrote:
Im 182cm and 78kg and I wear size small in Assos bibs. Best to order two sizes and keep the one that fits best.
Small at 78kg? How is this possible? I am the same height (183 cm) and weight (77 kg) and for bibs I wear medium in Mille or Cento lines, and large in Equipe line. And I like my kit to fit very snug. For a lean guy my proportions are very average - I have a decent upper body so it's not like my lower half is bigger than average. Do you have a skinny ass and legs and a massive chest and shoulders?
I know. My upper body is very lean also...I wear medium Castelli bibs and jerseys race cut which runs smaller than Assos. Have a size 31 waist. Have big thighs from 30+ years of cycling. Also have big-ass feet size 47 :D .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

jgman wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:04 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:24 pm
jgman wrote:
I know. My upper body is very lean also...I wear medium Castelli bibs and jerseys race cut which runs smaller than Assos. Have a size 31 waist. Have big thighs from 30+ years of cycling. Also have big-ass feet size 47 :D .
31 waist is on the small side for someone 78 kg. You've got to be hiding that 78kg somewhere. My waist is 33 so perhaps that accounts for the difference. Still, medium of anything Assos is plenty snug on me. I couldn't even get into Castelli mediums. My boys would be crushed to jelly :shock:

Here is me in Cento mediums, smalls would be silly short on me (assuming I could even pull them on) :
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

KCookie

by KCookie

I was thinking the same.
Im 178cm and around 73kg and the assos size chart says a M even if I change my measurements and lower my weight it still says M.

At 78kg im assuming a S would certainly be a snug fit.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

jgman

by jgman

See attached pic. These are Castelli medium bibs and Q36.5 medium jersey
Attachments
thumbnail.jpeg

steveadore

by steveadore

Slightly off-topic: Sometimes weight and body dimensions do not tell the whole story. Bone density and size, for example, also play a role, so you could have two people who look the same from the outside, but have different body weights.
In any case, I (179cm, 71 kg, 32" waist) also wear size M in Assos (as well as Q36.5) and L in Castelli bibs

jgman

by jgman

Good point. As i can get into Castelli Medium at 80kg. I must have big bones

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Has anyone got practical experience with the Equipe RS Winter S9's? I'm doing a bulk winter buy, not sure they're worth the extra dosh. It's hard these days to go to shops and try things on ;)

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Wonder why the XC bibs don't have the same ventilation holes in the part that holds your private parts? Like the RS 9 has. When you ride mtb, you go slower so it doesn't make sense to not have them.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

jgman wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:13 am
See attached pic. These are Castelli medium bibs and Q36.5 medium jersey
Well look at the size of your left hand - it's huge, must weigh many kgs. So you're a tiny guy with one giant hand. Assos size small it is! :D

ttl

by ttl

gerryc89 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:41 pm
Has anyone got practical experience with the Equipe RS Winter S9's? I'm doing a bulk winter buy, not sure they're worth the extra dosh. It's hard these days to go to shops and try things on ;)
They are really good. I don't have other Assos thights to compare but they offer more insulation than the Castelli Nanoflex Pro, in particular when it's windy.

Pros:
  • Same comfort as the summer S9
  • Very well insulated, windproof
Cons:
  • Designed for the RS series; they are quite low at the front and at the back so that they don't overlap with the thermobooster (I guess it's only a disadvantage if you don't buy all the rest of the kit ;))
  • The fabric is slightly stiff (my trick: squat down a bit and adjust the fabric around the knees)
  • The neoprene cuff on lower part of the leg means sweaty calves ;-)

gerryc89

by gerryc89

Excellent, thank you! These are actually to replace a pair of Nanoflex, so what a perfect review!
ttl wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:01 am
gerryc89 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:41 pm
They are really good. I don't have other Assos thights to compare but they offer more insulation than the Castelli Nanoflex Pro, in particular when it's windy.

Pros:
  • Same comfort as the summer S9
  • Very well insulated, windproof
Cons:
  • Designed for the RS series; they are quite low at the front and at the back so that they don't overlap with the thermobooster (I guess it's only a disadvantage if you don't buy all the rest of the kit ;))
  • The fabric is slightly stiff (my trick: squat down a bit and adjust the fabric around the knees)
  • The neoprene cuff on lower part of the leg means sweaty calves ;-)

disq

by disq

disq wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:53 am
Recently got RS9 bibs in medium, not sure if I have the right size. 166cm / 69kg but 86/90cm waist/hip measurements the size selector gives me "M" with "fits at waist / very loose at hip". Tried it on and it's comfy (legs are a bit long), but the chamois feels like it's too big and getting folded at the middle (I tried them on with underwear on), but maybe it's just too thick?

I think I'll order the S size and try that on as well and return one of the two. For the S the size selector says "very tight at waist / slightly loose at hip" but after seeing how it's cut I don't think the waist fit would be an issue (or maybe it's just the comfy comfy lycra)
Update: Size S arrived today, slightly harder to get in, feels a little overcompressive, chamois-feel wise it's not that different. Legs seem to fit a little better (once it's on) as there are no crinkles etc whatsoever (M isn't that crinkly anyway) but after trying both sizes on about 9 times each (with underwear + thin/summer baselayer) looks like I'll keep size M. Also size S felt a little "irongrippy" in the lower front area first time I tried it on, that may be a signal as to it being too small for me.

sychen

by sychen

disq wrote:
disq wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 10:53 am
Recently got RS9 bibs in medium, not sure if I have the right size. 166cm / 69kg but 86/90cm waist/hip measurements the size selector gives me "M" with "fits at waist / very loose at hip". Tried it on and it's comfy (legs are a bit long), but the chamois feels like it's too big and getting folded at the middle (I tried them on with underwear on), but maybe it's just too thick?

I think I'll order the S size and try that on as well and return one of the two. For the S the size selector says "very tight at waist / slightly loose at hip" but after seeing how it's cut I don't think the waist fit would be an issue (or maybe it's just the comfy comfy lycra)
Update: Size S arrived today, slightly harder to get in, feels a little overcompressive, chamois-feel wise it's not that different. Legs seem to fit a little better (once it's on) as there are no crinkles etc whatsoever (M isn't that crinkly anyway) but after trying both sizes on about 9 times each (with underwear + thin/summer baselayer) looks like I'll keep size M. Also size S felt a little "irongrippy" in the lower front area first time I tried it on, that may be a signal as to it being too small for me.
From your description.. I would keep the small. You described how it should fit.

They shouldn't be crinkled.. At all.

They are designed for the riding position without underwear.
The pouch area will be less irongrippy over a couple of rides/washes.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rush

by Rush

So a question around the Sturmprinz. I bought one a few years ago for a good price on eBay and so far its never let me down.

One thing that bothers me about the jacket is the neoprene wrist seals. They don't allow air to ingress into your arms, which I found in the Showers Pass jacket is a great way to allow you to cool down. Over time, the neoprene becomes saturated and often seeps into your gloves or whatever you're wearing underneath.

However the original premable that comes with the jacket says the following (taken from https://www.competitivecyclist.com/asso ... -evo-shell):
"Both the wrist and neck have adjustable seals that you can tighten down to keep out moisture and frosty breezes, or loosen it when you need additional venting. This allows you to create your own microclimate that best fits your needs."

How do you 'loosen' the wrist and neck seals?

Was this a feature of the original Sturmprinz which they abandonded for the EVO version?