Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Go to ASSOS.com - select 'Men' on the top bar menu. Then select - Explore By Season

LionelB

by LionelB

Did we say confusing ? :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

ryanw wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:16 pm
Ah, my bad! I now see that the MilleTights uses your RX Heavy fabrics and the HabuTights use the RX Medium fabrics.

Why do the HabuTights demand a £75 increase over the MilleTights if they don't provide the same insulation, surely a more aero fit can't negate this? You would always assume a warmer garment would have a higher price tag?

Genuine question, not trying to be a dick.
They are aimed at different users. They are lighter in weight and a different cut, but as such are far more complex (with a number of different patterns and fabrics used) and carry a better chamois (Equipe level, not Mille level).

I much prefer them. They are my favourite tight we make (the Habu).

Don't worry - I am not going to get offended by this thread!

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

LionelB wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:04 pm
:exactly: Tackling it head on!

LionelB

by LionelB

BTW is there a replacement of the FuguJack planned ?

LionelB

by LionelB

Also while we are using this thread for feedback to Assos I have to say that the durability has been going way down for bibs. I still have a few S5_F13, very beaten up but still holding (my favorite bib, period), in fact I even have an S2_F13 ! But I had to retire 2 S7_Equipe in what seems to be 1/10th of the use I have from the S5 or S2.

mag

by mag

RTW wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:31 pm
Go to ASSOS.com - select 'Men' on the top bar menu. Then select - Explore By Season
Right, but that's missing some parameters such as fit, placement in the layering system etc.
I can get a list of many products which I then have to explore one-by-one and figure out what they're about (and some descriptions don't really help with that much).
I'd like to select for example:
- season: spring/autumn
- fit: race
- body part: lower (legs)
- water resistance level: moderate
- windproofness: moderate
- layer: base
Something along these lines.

For example if I select early early winter tights now, I get HabuTights and HabuTightsMille. Ok. Now what's the difference? There's a difference in the fit which I can't figure out from there (and actually not even from their descriptions). There are other differences which are somehow encrypted in their descriptions but it's generally pretty hard to figure out the main differences just from there.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

RTW wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:16 pm
ryanw wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:16 pm
Ah, my bad! I now see that the MilleTights uses your RX Heavy fabrics and the HabuTights use the RX Medium fabrics.

Why do the HabuTights demand a £75 increase over the MilleTights if they don't provide the same insulation, surely a more aero fit can't negate this? You would always assume a warmer garment would have a higher price tag?

Genuine question, not trying to be a dick.
They are aimed at different users. They are lighter in weight and a different cut, but as such are far more complex (with a number of different patterns and fabrics used) and carry a better chamois (Equipe level, not Mille level).

I much prefer them. They are my favourite tight we make (the Habu).

Don't worry - I am not going to get offended by this thread!
I've got both on hold at SigmaSports... Hopefully getting off work early today to go and try on / collecrt. No doubt it'll be the Habu's I walk out with :lol:
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

I'm at Sigma now, in the offices!

mag

by mag

Re MilleTights - these should be renamed to at least something like BonkaTightsMille to better describe where they belong.

KevinM

by KevinM

LionelB wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:04 pm
I think I’m more confused now than when I started :noidea: :mrgreen:

kode54

by kode54

yeah, no doubt. and when Assos added Mille, that threw me off after getting accustomed to their naming scheme.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

RTW wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:34 pm
I'm at Sigma now, in the offices!
I'll be there in 30 mins! Get me a bloody discount!!! :wink:
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

RTW wrote:
guyc wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:21 am
Your naming conventions are still mental

Milletights
HabutightsMille
Habutights

Wtf.
I cannot be held responsible for this! We are a company in transition..... Image :beerchug:
But you’re all we’ve got. If the reps can’t effect change, who can. They are the ones getting the feedback first hand, as it should be, and they are the ones that need to relay this stuff back to whoever is responsible for the design. I remember when Assos shortened the length (from already shortish when compared to other brands) by 2cm. I bought some high end bibs (after researching a long time deciphering which ones were now like the ones I had before), only to find them significantly shorter. I took them back to the shop and tried another pair. Same thing. The shop owners (completely fully stocked in Assos) were completely unaware of any change. I asked them to look into it. They asked the rep. He said there had been no change. I said bull$hit and took the two pair of shorts side by side to the rep and he measured the inseam. Only then did he actually take it further and confirmed with the powers that be that they had indeed shortened them up. Tan line will never be the same :).
I love most Assos products (the Habu tights are fabulous, I’d have to go look to see which exact ones I have that you guys are now talking about).
But the entire line is still confusing. Not sure what you can do about that. But this thread is a great resource for anyone looking to figure out Assos. Trouble is, most potential purchasers will never see it and if they do come across it, will they really spend the time to go through however many pages it’s become, and you kind of have to, because at this point it still doesn’t seem like anyone’s got it completely sorted in their minds.
And to Lionel’s point, it does seem like the durability has gone down in recent years, perhaps due to all the fancy fabrics. But when a buddy said I needed some new bibs, I laughed because I didn’t think I had used them a whole lot. But sure enough, when I had a closer look, there be daylight filtering through the backside. Ouch! Not a good look. Still not sure if I like all the changes that have been coming through (especially the shorter leg lengths in bibs) since the sale of Assos to the American company (at least I think it was an American company that purchased them, correct me if I’m wrong). I guess more accurately, some investors purchased a majority stakeholding in the company, which effectively changes ultimate control.
Last edited by Calnago on Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LionelB

by LionelB

I have a LL.716 tight. It's been great and super warm but also quite comfy. As I only take it out on very cold days it will last a long time as well. I wonder why that style has been abandonned ? I thought it was unique and extremly good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com