Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
steveadore

by steveadore

steveadore wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:35 am
The problem is the webshop has sold out, so they can only offer a refund instead of a replacement. I've just contacted Assos warranty, waiting to hear back
Just heard back from Assos warranty dept.: basically, they are washing their hands, telling me that I should sort it out with the seller if I didn't buy directly from Assos. The problem is the seller is out of stock and can only offer a refund. However, Assos state their own policy on their site in the following way: "Note ASSOS selectively distributes its products via certified retailers who are experts in technical clothing for cyclists and your items will only be considered under warranty if purchased by an authorized ASSOS dealer."
The seller I bought the shorts from is almost certainly a certified retailer (I have now asked Assos to confirm or deny it), so if Assos still refuses to stand by their product, I think I'm done with them. I don't want to pay premium price for a product that has obvious and visible QC issues straight out of the box :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

harblhat

by harblhat

alanyu wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:31 am
Hi, could some experienced people educate me about the sizing of ASSOS Equipe RS line?

I'm short and extremely skinny, 170cm, chest 86cm and waist 67cm. My skinny body brings a lot trouble on buying clothing, especially jerseys. So far, Rapha Team line in size XS kinda fit me, but more inclined to a regular fit around my waist rather than a slim/aero fit. (Castelli is no go, too loose around waist; Trek might be OK regarding the size chart, but XS is not available here)

I tried the sizing tool on ASSOS website, but it suggested XS as slightly loose at chest and waist with both GT C2 and Equipe RS. Since GT is a regular fit and RS is a race fit, they can't be both the same as slightly loose. I suppose, if GT is slightly loose, RS should be a regular fit, or if RS is slightly loose, GT would be a loose fit.

Could someone give me more insight about the sizing? I'm wondering if Equipe RS in size XS could give fit me well.
I'm a bit taller and thicker than you (175cm, 91cm chest, 76cm waist) and wear Assos size S throughout their Equipe and Mille lines. Here is my experience:

Bibs:
Equipe RS S9, S: race fit
Equipe RSR S9, M: slightly loose fit

Jerseys:
Equipe RS, S: race fit
Mille GT, XS: very tight fit, short length

I would put you in a XS, and even then it may be loose if you go with the Mille line. Most of my other Assos stuff is older and no longer sold, so fit isn't applicable.

Stoffa

by Stoffa

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:44 am
What is the point of that more expensive material on the RSR S9 really? Other than being lighter, everything else is a disadvanatge comparing with regular S9. These bibs are not staying in place well at all, they ride up like crazy and the material seems very harsh. They bunch up in the groin and cause uncomfortable rubbing. The material is kind of non stretchy so it wrinkles a bit when riding up.

The positives. Light, material looks like it would be hard wearing, look good, tight. But in terms of comfort, have not been good at all. The grippers are not holding well at all, which is the root of the problem.

I contradicted myself there. There are some positives but the most important, comfort, is not great.
I take it your talking about the previous RSR, not the current Targa version. I tried that one on as well about 2 years ago, then started to mimic the cycling motion by pulling my knees up and down. Within no time they were bunching up in my groin. I tried different sizes, same thing. Never bought em.

Fast forward to the Targa version. Every flaw from the previous version is fixed here. The pad, the material, the grippers, the sleevelength, it is all top notch. I absolutely LOVE this bibshort, and it is the best bib Assos ever made imo.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Stoffa wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:11 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
What is the point of that more expensive material on the RSR S9 really? Other than being lighter, everything else is a disadvanatge comparing with regular S9. These bibs are not staying in place well at all, they ride up like crazy and the material seems very harsh. They bunch up in the groin and cause uncomfortable rubbing. The material is kind of non stretchy so it wrinkles a bit when riding up.

The positives. Light, material looks like it would be hard wearing, look good, tight. But in terms of comfort, have not been good at all. The grippers are not holding well at all, which is the root of the problem.

I contradicted myself there. There are some positives but the most important, comfort, is not great.
I take it your talking about the previous RSR, not the current Targa version. I tried that one on as well about 2 years ago, then started to mimic the cycling motion by pulling my knees up and down. Within no time they were bunching up in my groin. I tried different sizes, same thing. Never bought em.

Fast forward to the Targa version. Every flaw from the previous version is fixed here. The pad, the material, the grippers, the sleevelength, it is all top notch. I absolutely LOVE this bibshort, and it is the best bib Assos ever made imo.
If I only knew this before. I got them online but I never noticed anything before riding in them.

Regarding the material, is it not supposed to be the same? It says 701 kompressor on both RSR Targa and RSR S9. I see that the grippers are different though. Targa have those dots.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

Aesch

by Aesch

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:39 pm
Stoffa wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:

If I only knew this before. I got them online but I never noticed anything before riding in them.

Regarding the material, is it not supposed to be the same? It says 701 kompressor on both RSR Targa and RSR S9. I see that the grippers are different though. Targa have those dots.
Same goes for me. I get pad-vent-shaped burns after any ride >1hr.

Stoffa

by Stoffa

The material of the new RSR is very different from the old one. In my opinion it's much closer to the S9 RS fabric, than the old RSR fabric both in looks and feel.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Aesch wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:40 pm
Roadbiker10 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:39 pm
Stoffa wrote:
Roadbiker10 wrote:

Same goes for me. I get pad-vent-shaped burns after any ride >1hr.
I'll be selling mine then. That's the same as I get on only 1.5h fast rides. They are supposed to be longer than the S9 for better aerodynamics but when you ride they become super short, and wrinkles form on the inside of the legs. It's such a shame since I love the look.

I recently got the C2 GTS Summer bibs. It was just chance since I saw them in a store on sale for 110 euros. I have ended up wearing them for most of my rides. They are really comfortable.

I am using LeCol Pro now for the fast rides. They stay in place great, I just wish they were as tight and compressive as the RSR.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Recently picked-up the GTO C2 bib in long length (normally wear standard length) and the GTO jersey. One expensive kit but wow, amazing fit and performance. I have all the top Assos bibs/jerseys for the last 3 generations. This is one awesome kit and the bibs especially are fantastic. I used to always get large bibs, but now medium was what Assos recommended and fit was spot-on.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

Golden

by Golden

rollinslow wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:44 am
Recently picked-up the GTO C2 bib in long length (normally wear standard length) and the GTO jersey. One expensive kit but wow, amazing fit and performance. I have all the top Assos bibs/jerseys for the last 3 generations. This is one awesome kit and the bibs especially are fantastic. I used to always get large bibs, but now medium was what Assos recommended and fit was spot-on.
GTO jersey is very bad in hot conditions unfortunately. Bad Ventilation causes the material to become very sticky.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Golden wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:42 am
rollinslow wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:44 am
GTO jersey is very bad in hot conditions unfortunately. Bad Ventilation causes the material to become very sticky.
I find that with just about all of the Assos jerseys. The material they use, no matter how fancy it is and how it is designed to do this or that, is just too damn hot. I find it doesn't breathe. I compare it to a Rapha Flyweight jersey that feels nearly weightless when I have it on in 83F heat combined with 92% humidity, as I did yesterday.

I use an Assos Summer base layer as my heavy base layer for winter time riding when it's in the 55-60F range!

I guess it doesn't get all that hot whereever Assos is designed their jerseys these days.

kervelo

by kervelo

Has anybody used both the new Assos GTC Kiespanzer and the older Assos XC bibs? What are the differences, if any?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

A couple of rants:

1. When is Assos going to make a jersey with decent sleeve length. The short sleeve jerseys' sleeves don't make it past the halfway point on my biceps. There is nothing nice about a cyclists arms that anyone would want to see. Seems Assos is stuck in the early 90's. I have an absurd number of Assos bibshorts that will never be worn with a matching top. :evil:

2. WTF is with the arm warmer situation. The Evo7 thermal fleece arm warmers (and knee warmers) are/were magnificent. Amazing breathability, superb warmth, never clammy, even some water resistance, and surprisingly dry and warm feeling even when wet. Great length and the always stay in place. Now they are unavailable and seemingly replaced with what Assos is calling Spring/Fall arm warmers (and matching knee warmers). These are shit. Cold when it's cold, not breathable (except when it's cold) and clammy when warmer, too short, don't stay up. Garbage. The only thing worse is the so called Arm Foil predecessor which lasted for about half a ride before the upper arm band gave up and then they fell to your wrists like your granny's pantyhose around her ankles.

C'mon Assos.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Everything at Assos appears to go down except for the price.

There was a point in life (about 5 years ago) when my complete wardrobe was Assos. Since then other brands have caught on and Assos doubled or tripled their prices but fit, innovations that turned out not so well and QC have went down.

For me the #1 issue are the extremely short leg and parts. I feel like I forgot to put on pants when walking out the door.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Ypuh wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:45 pm
For me the #1 issue are the extremely short leg and parts. I feel like I forgot to put on pants when walking out the door.
Haha, problem is you Dutch are so damn tall. FWIW they now do a longer leg available in certain models. I have no issue with the bib shorts - best in the industry IMO.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

GaBa

by GaBa

They only do longer leg model with GTO, which are 290 EUR. And they recently also changed their sizing, I have to wear S bibs now with 184cm and 72-75kg. Obviously they are (too) short. And with tights I am not even sure what I'd go with, S might be too short and that's bigger problem with tights than it is with bibs, but with M I get cuffing from chamois. Socks seem to get higher, new targa model? Haven't seen it live so can only guess from the photos. Equipe RS jerseys have long enough sleeves for my taste but they are not as long as Castelli ones (I have a couple of those from Maratona dles Dolomites), those are really right to the elbow in my case.

Also (still) not getting the point of having fluo jackets only in the front. Why not the back as well, it's even more exposed to the surroundings? The only explanation I have is that fluo on the back would get dirty from road spray?

I still like their products though, targa S9 bibs (now that I went with S) are amazing, so is for instance Johdah jacket (only problem is it's too large since I went with M based on 10 years of "experience" with Assos).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com