Assos apparel questions

Kit Brand Talk. Everything under the sun, including sunnies!
LionelB

by LionelB

The fugu was supposed to be replaced but never was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

micky

by micky

One question for the experts; I was considering the Mille S7 thights which according to some reviews online it's one of the best winters thights, while on some other websites they claim it's ok between 6 and 15°C.
So here's the question, is it thick enough as a winter thight or does it depends on what latitude you live?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I don't think the Mille range is for cold weather at all. They're just standard bibs.

Tibru - Chilly
Habu - Cold
Bonka - Freezing

As far as I'm aware, the above are the three levels of cold weather kit Assos currently produce.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

LionelB

by LionelB

Clear as mud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:56 am
I don't think the Mille range is for cold weather at all. They're just standard bibs.

Tibru - Chilly
Habu - Cold
Bonka - Freezing

As far as I'm aware, the above are the three levels of cold weather kit Assos currently produce.
Wow - you guys are merciless. :shock: :D :D The good news is that we are changing it.

What Ryan writes is correct, but we know this is confusing. So....

OLD naming convention

1.4 ShaSha - Summer
2.4 Tiburu - Spring / Fall
3.4 Habu - Winter
4.4 Bonka - Deep Winter

New naming convention

1.3 Summer
2.3 Spring / Fall
3.3 Winter and Winter Ultraz as a heavier winter category.

So to answer the request of everyone here we are simplifying the names. There will be a couple of years while this trickles through though. There will be kit in the marketplace which does not yet reflect this change, and kit in our range yet to be replaced with a new product fitting the new convention.

The ranges are:

Mille GT - Comfort Fit, pad slightly further forward for a more upright position. Consider this every day kit.
Equipe RS - Racing Fit, more compressive / aero. Pad slightly further forward for a lower position on the bike. Consider this 'fast', 'race' or 'special day' kit.
Cento 113 - Comfort Fit, pad slightly further forward. More tech than Equipe and Mille. Luxury, cosetting kit for those who want or need more.

So @lionelb @velomane @bda_ghisallo @tonyM @leDuke @mag please stick with it. Naming conventions are incredibly difficult and creating something half way intuitive is super hard. We are working on it, and the foundation is now there.

@muti - The Mille GT range refers to a 'fit' and a price point. Within that there are many different jackets / jerseys. In the winter jackets there are:
Mille GT Spring / Fall Jersey - fleecy inside and currently available
Mille GT Spring / Fall Jacket - Windproof membrane on the chest, long sleeve jersey style arms and back DWR treatment - launch November
Mille GT Winter Jacket - Windproof membrane on the chest and fronts of arms, more insulated than the spring fall. DWR treatment - available
Mille GT Winter Ultraz Jacket - Windproof membrane on the chest, fronts and backs of arms and shoulders. DWR treatment. More insulation and built in neck gator.

@Lionelb @TomyM @Mag - on the subject of colours - yes we want to do more BUT black sells in greater numbers than any other colour. We launched 3 new jackets this winter (which is a lot) and we cannot do the membranes in lots of different colours because the MOQ of material makes that prohibitive. Other brands manage it because they are buying off the peg materials, and / or are using tech they are borrowing from their outdoor business. That isn't to say that colours wont ever come, but is an explanation for the colours available at launch.

I pass on the feedback from this thread though, and thanks to all for your contributions. Honestly, it is great that you care enough to tell us!

Edited - I got it wrong! :oops:
Last edited by RTW on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

velomane

by velomane

TonyM wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:23 am

I meanwhile ride with front and rear flashing lights in the winter and the summer since I live in Canada (that was not necessary where I previously lived in Germany and in Switzerland)
T
Hey Tony,

Is this a comment about the local motorists? I've been riding with a rear flashing light for a few years now. Can't trust the locals to pay attention to what's going on ahead of them i.e. me on a bike.

muti

by muti

Thanks for your reply RTW,looking foward to the simplification of the range.If you look at it positively,at least you know that you have loyal customers(deservedly so, you consistently deliver top quality products).Thanks again!

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

micky wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:09 am
One question for the experts; I was considering the Mille S7 thights which according to some reviews online it's one of the best winters thights, while on some other websites they claim it's ok between 6 and 15°C.
So here's the question, is it thick enough as a winter thight or does it depends on what latitude you live?
So.......

There are two sets of tights:

LL.Milletights_s7 - These are Winter Ultraz temperature range, so closer to freezing point. 4.4 - Bonka level in old classification.
Habutightsmille - These are Winter temperature range, so less insulated than the above. 3.4 - Habu lvel in the old classification.

To get the proper naming convention, they should be called

Mille GT Tights Winter
Mille GT Tights Winter Ultraz

We are working toward this aim!

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

RTW,

Am I correct in assuming that the kit supplied to the BMC team is the same tech as the pieces that consumers can buy? Is there anything, other than their use of stuff you may be prototyping, that is better or different than what we can buy?

I know many brands that "supply" kit to ProTour teams don't actually make it and simply have Moa Sport or BioRacer put their logo on the kit when they make it to order for the sponsoring kit supplier. I am sure that's not the case with Assos but just wanted to confirm it.

Cheers,
Geoff

micky

by micky

Cheers for the reply, @RTW!

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

L.BONKATIGHTS_S7 - Ultimate freezing weather bib tights, super expensive.

LL.MILLETIGHTS_S7 AKA LL.bonkaTightsMille_S7 - Bloody freezing conditions like the above, but less technical garment (cheaper).

HABUTIGHTSMILLE S7 - Cold conditions.

LL.HABUTIGHTS_S7 - Same as above but more technical garment hence the big price increase.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:04 pm
RTW,

Am I correct in assuming that the kit supplied to the BMC team is the same tech as the pieces that consumers can buy? Is there anything, other than their use of stuff you may be prototyping, that is better or different than what we can buy?

I know many brands that "supply" kit to ProTour teams don't actually make it and simply have Moa Sport or BioRacer put their logo on the kit when they make it to order for the sponsoring kit supplier. I am sure that's not the case with Assos but just wanted to confirm it.

Cheers,
Geoff
It is 100% what we sell to consumers, unless it is a prototype.

We aren't using third parties. It isn't a labelling exercise for us.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:13 pm

LL.MILLETIGHTS_S7 AKA LL.bonkaTightsMille_S7 - Bloody freezing conditions like the above, but less technical garment (cheaper).

LL.HABUTIGHTS_S7 - Same as above but more technical garment hence the big price increase.
Would you like a job?

LionelB

by LionelB

ryanw wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:13 pm

I think this illustrates the point well :D :D

TonyM

by TonyM

biwa wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:09 am
I am using the Assos leg warmer Evo S7 in the whole winter so up to -2C together with the Tiburu S7 bib. Works well for me.

Only if it is raining and cold I use the Sportful no rain or Castelli nanoflex bib & leg warmer.
Does it stay up on the thighs during the ride? And which size did you get for your build? Thx
Yes they stay up. The best leg warmers on the market IMHO.
Left leg and right leg have a different shape etc...

I am 171cm and 67.5-71kg (summer, winter). I usually use the size I.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com